kayumanggi

DHD Friday (03.23) 68.25 M | THE HUNGER GAMES (Crow-serving on-going :))

• Founder / Operator

There's literally thousands of movies that have been made that have had a pre-existing fanbase from a book. And yet they have failed to do what THG has, including ones like Harry Potter and Da Vinci Code that had book bases that were far larger than THG's when their first respective movies came out. So your argument doesn't really add up. Obviously something made THG a movie phenomenon outside of the book sales, since there's been others that have far exceeded those and failed to open like this.

My argument adds up perfectly, you just don't like the result of it. :PSeriously though, it just doesn't make a lot of sense to say that the books weren't a phenomenon before the movie was. You can't use massive book sales as an argument for predicting big numbers for a movie, and then turn around on the second day of release and position the book sales as actually having been a factor of the movie itself. That's incredibly contradictory, and I'm not saying you personally have or haven't done that, but a few (at least) have today.

Try quoting the entire post instead of making my words into something they aren't. Not only did you take that out of context, you didn't even put in the full sentence or pull the quotes where I've said how impressive the opening is.

I do believe I have missed those, all the posts I read are along the lines of "The opening is impressive ... but these things make it not as impressive as these other movies"

It's a healthy debate. I would not call myself a fan but I have read the first book and agree its entertaining.I think we need to wait until we get Saturday numbers to see if this is a real beast. Still this OD is great and I congratulate LIONSGATE for being smart and resourceful. They are now competing with the big boys.Saturday should see a decrease. There is no way it can keep up this momentum.

I don't know dude. An increase while difficult, can very well happen. There have been other films that have maintaiined this type of momentum before.

Come on guys, everyone has their own measurement of "best ever." What we can all agree on, is that not even the most rabid fans could've predicted the numbers we are seeing. It is up there with Spiderman, TDK, even Potter and Twilight. My own personal opinion, however, is that if this gets 150M+... it has to be at least considered one of the best.

Edited by MasterDodsen

• Founder / Operator

It doesn't even sound like you're calling it "one of the most impressive openings" though Shawn. You just seem to kind of be brushing it aside. Maybe it isn't THE single most impressive, but it damn sure is up there with some of the other heavy hitters. If only for the fact that it's essentially the first non-sequel to open anything like this since Spiderman 10 years ago.

Maybe it doesn't sound like that to you because you're ignoring every time I've said. My objective opinion is nothing more than that...an objective opinion.

• Founder / Operator

I do believe I have missed those, all the posts I read are along the lines of "The opening is impressive ... but these things make it not as impressive as these other movies"

That was born out of a response about a comparison to Spider-Man. I explained what I was getting at a few post back.

My argument adds up perfectly, you just don't like the result of it. :PSeriously though, it just doesn't make a lot of sense to say that the books weren't a phenomenon before the movie was. You can't use massive book sales as an argument for predicting big numbers for a movie, and then turn around on the second day of release and position the book sales as actually having been a factor of the movie itself. That's incredibly contradictory, and I'm not saying you personally have or haven't done that, but a few (at least) have today.

That's all fine but you haven't answered my question of what caused this to be so big when there were other movies with bigger book sales that weren't as big at the B.O.? There was obviously something there besides the books.

• Founder / Operator

Come on guys, everyone has their own measurement of "best ever." What we can all agree on, is that not even the most rabid fans could've predicted the numbers we are seeing. It is up there with Spiderman, TDK, even Potter and Twilight. My own personal opinion, however, is that if this gets 150M+... it has to be at least considered one of the best.

Thank you... this sums up exactly what I've been getting at all day. :lol:

• Founder / Operator

That's all fine but you haven't answered my question of what caused this to be so big when there were other movies with bigger book sales that weren't as big at the B.O.? There was obviously something there besides the books.

Well, what examples are you referring to that had bigger book sales than this series prior to this weekend?

Well, what examples are you referring to that had bigger book sales than this series prior to this weekend?

Mainly Potter 1 and Da Vinci Code. I'm sure there are others as well, but I'm not gonna go do the research. Twilight's in '08 weren't a whole lot lower either and look at what that opened to. Edited by MovieMan89

Here's something we can agree on: If Nikki updates us with theater averages, we take that bitch down.

Mainly Potter 1 and Da Vinci Code. I'm sure there are others as well, but I'm not gonna go do the research.

The Holy Bible sold more before the opening of Passion of the Christ. :P:lol: Edited by Biggestgeekever
  • Like 4

Lmao, exactly. See, so why didn't Passion break the OW record then? Obviously it was more then just the book sales that drove THG to this kind of gross.

yeah, its called a good movie with a badass called Jennifer Lawrence.

• Founder / Operator

Mainly Potter 1 and Da Vinci Code. I'm sure there are others as well, but I'm not gonna go do the research. Twilight's in '08 weren't a whole lot lower either and look at what that opened to.

I think I'm confused ... are you asking me why HG is so big when Potter and Da Vinci had more sales and weren't as big? Edited by ShawnMR