Eric S'ennui

IF | May 17, 2024 | Paramount | John Krasinski directs, writes and stars | Ryan Reynolds and Steve Carell are here too

On 5/7/2024 at 5:15 AM, cookie said:

TIL this opens in France tomorrow. Should get some word on it then.

There are some french reviews on letterboxd and most of them are positive 

Posted (edited)

Allocine critics look pretty meh, and Wednesday embargo lift next week in the US so definitely have adjusted my expectations as far as that goes. Still hoping it finds a Night at the Museum type of audience for theaters' sake.

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 1

On 5/8/2024 at 3:54 PM, AniNate said:

Allocine critics look pretty meh, and Wednesday embargo lift next week in the US so definitely have adjusted my expectations as far as that goes. Still hoping it finds a Night at the Museum type of audience for theaters' sake.

3.3/5 is good imo...and better than Apes(3.1/5)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kayumanggi said:

I only tracked it once where it was looking at least solid presales-wise, but later, sadly not much movement (which is in line with all other reports here).

But the trailers and idea is cute and I also think it will find its audience. But it was very stupid to chose the week before the Garfield release (once again, is Hollywood completely out of touch now or what?).

Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, el sid said:

I only tracked it once where it was looking at least solid presales-wise, but later, sadly not much movement (which is in line with all other reports here).

But the trailers and idea is cute and I also think it will find its audience. But it was very stupid to chose the week before the Garfield release (once again, is Hollywood completely out of touch now or what?).

This originally had the Garfield date, and then it moved up a week when Garfield went there so really it's that movie's fault for insisting on the logjam, especially since it was scheduled for February at first and could've made some pretty nice bank being the only kids movie out. 

I guess this will be a test case for if two kids movies can still be successful together in a non-Christmas frame.

Edited by AniNate

Posted (edited)

Anyway this is an excellent opening in France. Bigger than Elemental's first day and without any sneak previews, only surpassed in the last two years by Mario and Miraculous Ladybug in the family movie genre. Budget rumored to be just $70 mil (though presumably also about an Illumination-level marketing budget) 

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 1

Reviews should be very positive.  It’s one of the better family films in ages.  Real throwback, made with proper craft.  Krasinski hasn’t compromised anything for the movie he wanted to make, of that there’s no doubt. 

5 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Reviews should be very positive.  It’s one of the better family films in ages.  Real throwback, made with proper craft.  Krasinski hasn’t compromised anything for the movie he wanted to make, of that there’s no doubt. 

They should have released it a month or at least 2 weeks ago to give it some room from Garfield.  The kid/family market has been barren (hence KFP4 having great drops).

1 hour ago, TalismanRing said:

They should have released it a month or at least 2 weeks ago to give it some room from Garfield.  The kid/family market has been barren (hence KFP4 having great drops).

Ghostbusters has likely been benefitting from the lack of family films too given how much the audience for that franchise these days leans in that direction.

• Like 1