TMP

Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania | February 17, 2023 | Competing with Eternals on RT, Competing with BvS on box office legs

Saga 2 is probably getting graded more harshly than saga 1 because it’s core conceit is very difficult to handle effectively. I think going multiverse will prove to be a humongous mistake, and not that surprisingly — there was really no need to play with this particular fire.  

But at the end of the day we’ll always have Infinity Saga.

And hope for saga 3

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, TheFlatLannister said:

60-70% RT score based on early reactions...Maybe a bit higher. I don't see it going rotten 

I feel like critics and the audience is grading Marvel on a tougher grading scale compared to pre-Endgame 

I disagree, I think quality has just been worse. No idea what I'll think of Quantumania but DS2 and Thor 4 were the weakest movies the MCU has made. And like Legion said multiverse plotlines are always very dicey.

• Like 5
  • Astonished 1

10 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Scott did not like it. he even gave meh reaction to majors. 

Kang in QM is a very boring character

Edit: Don't click on hidden comment, might be a spoiler.

Spoiler

This might be a good news if leaks are true.

Edited by Factcheck
  • Haha 1
  • ...wtf 1

14 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

Whaat. How can a film where Kang is featured heavily be "skippable". That's crazy and makes me wonder what the hell they cooked if he's right.

I wouldn't put much stock on Scott's reaction, since pretty much every other impression, even the more muted ones, is singling out Kang as a great character.

21 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Really?  So, the movie ends in the same place the last episode of Loki ended?  This seems like a lot of "what's the point of this movie" then, except I guess to bring non-D+ viewers up to speed with a different character...

This totally seems like another MoM problem...D+ viewers being wildly disappointed with the offering...

If this film is "aggressively OK," as stated earlier in the thread, that wouldn't really surprise me.  That's pretty much how I would describe the first two Ant-Man movies myself.

To be honest, I never quite got why Feige brought Peyton Reed back after the first one. I mean, look at all the other directors Feige brought back for sequels, Favreau, Whedon, Gunn, Russo brothers, Watts, Waititi, Coogler.  They all made MCU films that were critical darlings and connected in a major way with audiences. 

I don't think Ant-Man really met either of those criteria. (Maybe Reed was just rewarded for salvaging the film after Wright left?)

No doubt GOTG3 is going to bring it, since Gunn only seems to be getting better as a filmmaker (I think Peacemaker was the best thing he's ever done), so that is certainly going to give the MCU a boost come May.

But I suspect the overall MCU narrative ("audience fatigue!" or "back in the groove") we will see argued about over the next year will be determined by The Marvels' reception. 

Edited by MyMovieCanBeatUpYourMovie
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

Whaat. How can a film where Kang is featured heavily be "skippable". That's crazy and makes me wonder what the hell they cooked if he's right.

I mean in Loki, "Kang" mentioned there are many many many different versions of himself. So if anyone thought that THIS Kang was going to be the actual MCU Kang we're worried about...