TMP

Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania | February 17, 2023 | Competing with Eternals on RT, Competing with BvS on box office legs

18 minutes ago, jking123 said:

I suppose I could see a high cinemascore. better audience reception than Eternals etc

Eternals audience reception was so bad that better audience reception than that really ain´t something significant. In fact I wouldn´t be surprised if it gets the same CS as it

Edited by thajdikt

57 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Which, frankly, is a stupid thing for a studio to do with a big budget movie. The GA is where the money is.

Not for Marvel. They have a big enough fanbase to make $700M+ without a major GA presence. Love and Thunder and MoM are examples of this 

Marvel needs the GA for mega event like NWH, Black Panther, Avengers 

4 minutes ago, GOGODanca said:

I'm curious to see when/if MCU will ever have a sub 2x multiplier like DC/Sony have already had, even Eternals with an atrocious B cinemascore eeked out a 2.2 multi

Having a look Eternals opened with Clifford the Big Red Dog and holdovers winding down Dune, NTTD and Venom. Then it had to contend with GhostBusters the following week and Encanto after that and Gucci. Then on its 6th weekend West side Story opened. Not exactly a stacked slate.

ANTM3 gets Cocaine Bear (and Jesus Revolution) next week, then Creed and Guy Ritchie movie (a dump job), then 65 and Scream, Weekend 5 it will go against Shazam and 6 will be John Wick 4.

I think it will be better received than Eternals (not by much) but face a lot more competition.    

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sckathian said:

There’s a reason Ant Man went the funny route. It’s a funny premise. They grounded it with a simple father/daughter relationship. Who greenlit this third films concept? I feel like they just ignored the series so far and basically treated it as a cookie cutter MCU character to fit into any story. That doesn’t work.

a lot of people criticized ant man and the wasp  for doing the thing that for you " it works".  That movie was loved by the critics but the genera audience didn't responde so well. So a change like this was needed. Let's see how it goes with general audience. From what i read from the avant premier in my country, it could go well with the general audience 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SpiderByte said:

Lucasfilm didn't just stop making movies between that though, not remotely the same thing. What you're proposing would be Marvel Studios just shutting down entirely.

No that's not what i said, What i propose is wait a few years to start a proper phase 4 so they could developed the projects properly and people would miss the usual MCU on theaters

They could make those TV shows but focus on that instead of make a thousand things 

They could make partnerships with other studios to different projects, something like SpiderVerse for example 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, fede75 said:

a lot of people criticized ant man and the wasp  for doing the thing that for you " it works".  That movie was loved by the critics but the genera audience didn't responde so well. So a change like this was needed. Let's see how it goes with general audience. From what i read from the avant premier in my country, it could go well with the general audience 

It got an a- cinemascore and a 2.9x multiplier, the GA clearly did like it

1 hour ago, Maggie said:

@TMP is joking, i believe. That's what stans of these movies say when their film is getting bad reviews...that the movie is made for the fans. lol

Unless it's Godzilla: King of the Monsters. The Godzilla community was insanely pumped for that film that it inflated Box Office tracking and had a 6.3M Thursday for a 48M ow. So many easter eggs and references to the OG Japanese movies but it just didn't  connect with general audiences.

7 minutes ago, GOGODanca said:

It got an a- cinemascore and a 2.9x multiplier, the GA clearly did like it

They didn't say the GA didn't like it, they said the GA "didn't respond so well"

It's the second lowest rated phase 3 film on IMDB and second lowest RT audience score so I think it has some merit to it 

7 minutes ago, TheFlatLannister said:

They didn't say the GA didn't like it, they said the GA "didn't respond so well"

It's the second lowest rated phase 3 film on IMDB and second lowest RT audience score so I think it has some merit to it 

I don't think IMDB and pre verified audience score RT is representative of the GA, cinemascore and legs/box office are always more representative of those

3 minutes ago, GOGODanca said:

I don't think IMDB and pre verified audience score RT is representative of the GA, cinemascore and legs/box office are always more representative of those

Even if you use Cinemascore, it's still the lowest for phase 3

Captain Marvel : A

FFH: A 

Homecoming: A

Civil war: A
Black Panther: A+

Infinity war/ Endgame: A, A+

Dr strange: A

GOTG2: A

Ragnarok: A

Antman 2: A-

Antman 2 was the only film in phase 3 to not score A or higher. That doesn't mean the GA didn't like it, just means the GA didn't respond to it as well as other phase 3 projects, which was OP's point 

2 hours ago, Maggie said:

@TMP is joking, i believe. That's what stans of these movies say when their film is getting bad reviews...that the movie is made for the fans. lol

Then I apooogize to TMP.

But I stand by it;s a dumb statment. You don't spend 100 Million on a film for a small audience.