TMP

Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania | February 17, 2023 | Competing with Eternals on RT, Competing with BvS on box office legs

42 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

Avengers 5 main cast will probably be Sam Wilson, Carol Danvers, Shuri, Peter Parker, Steven Strange, Shang Chi, and you need at least one og so Thor or Hulk and one more female so I’ll say She Hulk or Scarlet Witch.

i also expect to see some supporting players like Bucky, Miss Marvel, Wong, and who knows maybe Loki and the TVA can show up?

Maybe we can put also in the mix Scott Lang, Sersi and Yelena Belova.

Just now, Mickiland16 said:

IMDB rating is at 6.6 which is only better than Eternals and Thor: Love and Thunder (both 6.3) but I'm not sure how reliable is it right now since it's early. How did other MCU movies start?

6.6 is a terrible start if it's not influenced by some backlash.

9 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

Not the same thing as making something self-contained that people don't need to watch to get things.

What If, She-Hulk, Moon Knight, Werewolf by Night, the Guardians Holiday special, Hawkeye, Eternals, Shang-Chi, Black Widow were all self contained and a common complaint for half of them was that it wasn't setting up the MCU future enough and that there wasnt a plan. And now with Quantumania people are upset that it sets up the MCU too much and is too much about the plan!

Edited by SpiderByte
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, SpiderByte said:

What If, She-Hulk, Moon Knight, Werewolf by Night, the Guardians Holiday special, Hawkeye, Eternals, Shang-Chi, Black Widow were all self contained and a common complaint for half of them was that it wasn't setting up the MCU future enough and that there wasnt a plan. And now Quantumania people are upset that it sets up the MCU too much and is too much about the plan!

Those are yes technically self contained but when people complained about those it wasn’t because they didn't connect (although narratively as a whole Phase 4 is disjointed, that’s where the comments are mostly coming from and not the individual films/shows) but a lot of the MCU trappings held them back from being better:

Only Werewolf by Night and the Guardians special were the only exceptions in my honest opinions:

She-Hulk was bogged down a lot by the Intelligencia narrative (which the concept I really dug) but for its big thing about wanting to be different, it still had to have a big battle at the end even with retconning and did effect the plot a lot to the point where you do wonder would the series as a whole be better as just an weekly episode thing with no plot (I know She-Hulk does meta in the comics, for the most part I liked it in there too). A similar thing happens with Ms. Marvel and the warring Damage Control and genie storylines took away from the charm of being a teen hero finding her footing.

Hawkeye suffered from the exact same problem as most of the Disney+ shows as it had really bad pacing and felt like an extended six hour movie.

Shang-Chi and Black Widow both really didn’t need a big CGI end battle, especially when the wuxia-esque action and the spy action for the latter were the main drivers. 

I am very pro-Eternals and it mostly worked for me but a lot of its problems were justifying why they couldn’t get involved was somewhat hypocritical and did at times struggle on if it wanted to be a Chloe Zhao movie or an MCU movie.

I know the MCU has always been about setup but the problem for Quantumania it seems it’s more like homework for Kang Dynasty than it is Ant-Man 3. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, stripe said:

Maybe we can put also in the mix Scott Lang, Sersi and Yelena Belova.

4 hours ago, eddyxx said:

Avengers 5 main cast will probably be Sam Wilson, Carol Danvers, Shuri, Peter Parker, Steven Strange, Shang Chi, and you need at least one og so Thor or Hulk and one more female so I’ll say She Hulk or Scarlet Witch.

i also expect to see some supporting players like Bucky, Miss Marvel, Wong, and who knows maybe Loki and the TVA can show up?

None of these characters is beloved like Cap and Tony. Not even close. Even PP himself doesn't have the pull that Old PPs had.
Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 3

This felt like it's more of a filler, but I still enjoyed it. There were weird choices, from characters to certain lines, that might be cringey to some. Some jokes were funny and not overdone. Although you'll notice that the tone can be uneven. I thought visually, this was bigger than the last three Marvel films. I'm surprised THOR: LOVE AND THUNDER had a $250M budget compared to $200M for this. This just looked bigger. Majors has gotten good praises, but I thought Rudd was good too.

I understand though why some might get tired of these movies. The recent Marvel films just felt the same, visually and story-wise. And with GOTG III coming in May, I think the trend will continue. I hope I'm wrong. Also, I just didn't get why the supposedly bad guy of Phase 5 is fighting Ant-Man. (It's difficult to discuss without giving out spoilers.)

I think the general auds might still enjoy this one, though.

There are two end credits scenes, by the way. Good ones.

Edited by kayumanggi
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2

39 minutes ago, YM! said:

it still had to have a big battle at the end even with retconning

No, that is not true, it did not end with a big battle at the end, in fact the show very specifically makes a point about not ending with a big battle scene. The plot literally freezes so that there is not one.

Like half the complaints I've seen recently are about "the MCU should do this thing" and then describe something very specific that the MCU did in fact do. 

Yeah, so Quantumania has the weakest trailers I've ever seen for an MCU film, and that opinion combined with the 2nd worst (or worst, depending on how the next couple weeks go on RT and MC) reviews for one of these movies, has made my decision to skip this in theaters very, very easy. Maybe I'll catch it on Disney+ in a few months. I still haven't watched L&T because of the hate. I'm just so exhausted with 80-90% of the Marvel output since phase 4 began.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

None of these characters is beloved like Cap and Tony. Not even close. Even PP himself doesn't have the pull that Old PPs had. Next Spiderman is going to drop hard from NWH. Just watch. So Avengers without 1 or 2 characters who normies really dig isn't going to draw normies. Especially since both movies are bound to feature shitload of D+ characters who are even less known or liked. 

I wasn't talking about how beloved the new characters are. I agree the new characters have yet to win the hearts of the audience.
Anyways, before first Avengers the only "loved" character was Tony. People wasn't crazy about Thor, Cap or Hulk. I would put Tony's phase 1 popularity in the same league as PP in phase 4.

Spider-Man had supplanted Iron Man as the heart/biggest draw of Avengers, Strange taking over the leader role from Cap, Ant-Man - with this release vaulting the character to major status - as comedic relief formally Thor (and so on)

Whether those shifts work/connect with audiences remains to be seen 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, M37 said:

Spider-Man had supplanted Iron Man as the heart/biggest draw of Avengers, Strange taking over the leader role from Cap, Ant-Man - with this release vaulting the character to major status - as comedic relief formally Thor (and so on)

A lot of MCU nerds are excited for Avengers 5, assuming this lol. Spider-Man is a teenager or kid in the MCU; he is not going to lead the Avengers in the MCU. Just be realistic here. Strange is not even an Avenger; he is Avenger's helper, an outsider. There won't be "3 white males" leading the Avengers anymore. A lot has changed in the MCU now.

36 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

This felt like it's more of a filler

This is all I needed to hear. I am bit tired of this MCU trope of each movie being just almost just a filler that has something that it will be important for a future movie that never comes. At this point, it seems like is better to just read the synopsis of the movies and then watch the Avengers movies.

• Sad 1

22 minutes ago, M37 said:

you mention 3 roles; difference was that inron man was capable of doing all those 3 roles at the same time

23 minutes ago, Willowra said:

A lot of MCU nerds are excited for Avengers 5, assuming this lol. Spider-Man is a teenager or kid in the MCU; he is not going to lead the Avengers in the MCU. Just be realistic here. Strange is not even an Avenger; he is Avenger's helper, an outsider. There won't be "3 white males" leading the Avengers anymore. A lot has changed in the MCU now.

Lol wut. Spider-Man is pretty much a young adult when NWH ended. By the time of Avengers 5, he will be in his mid 20s most likely.

5 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

Lol wut. Spider-Man is pretty much a young adult when NWH ended. By the time of Avengers 5, he will be in his mid 20s most likely.

Yes I believe you Spider-Man is the new Tony Stark of MCU and Tom Holland will get Top billing in Avengers 5. Ok

8 minutes ago, Willowra said:

Yes I believe you Spider-Man is the new Tony Stark of MCU and Tom Holland will get Top billing in Avengers 5. Ok

Whoever has the best agent will get top billing but with a almost 2 billion dollar film under his belt yeah i could see that.