TMP

Joker: Folie a Deux | October 4, 2024 | Lady Gaga is Harley Quinn in this 200M+ musical sequel

11 minutes ago, wattage said:

Music licensing probably. It's a jukebox musical so they have to pay for all that existing popular music. 

Sorry it's a jukebox not a musical. A brosical. 

Uh, "Singing IN the Rain" "An American In Paris" and 'Bandwagon" were also "juke back musicals".

'Rain" and "Bandwagon" had only one original song writtern for them, 
Paris none at all. Granted there is a difference since the movies I mentioned   used the songs of only one songwriter.Songwriting team, but they were stil jukebox musicals.....almost all the songs had been around for a while.

I can imagine that Phillips and Phoenix did this for the easy paycheck, and not so much because they felt there was an interesting story to tell. Say what you will about the first Joker movie, but it did something different by the standards of a CBM, and I've always felt that giving it a sequel would cheapen it. They should’ve let the original stand on its own. 

17 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

No way Joker 2 should be costing as much as D&W, which was a huge multiverse visual effects heavy film.

And it doesn't. D&W cost at least 250 mln, probably closer to 300 since they lowball their budgets. This one cost 200 and Phillips himself said it cost less.

17 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Most of Joker scenes will likely be 2 people talking to each other on rooms.

Emmm... did you watch trailers? There are scenes with massive crowds, fantasy sets, chaos and mayhem, it's not cheap to make, especially with A-list team and shooting in NYC and LA.

Edited by Firepower
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, James said:

Lol this has a better shot to make 190m OW than total. Even with SUPPOSEDLY bad WOM, the OW alone will be huge. 

While i think the reviews won't damage that much nowadays you have and impact already on the First weekend (especially when with previews movie are out on wednesday). So if reactions are really like "Bro It's a musical, It's just boring" could already have and impact on saturday or sunday. I see 190M  like the possible exploit with a movie loved like the First One. Now seems too much. But the 150m range is still there.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Uh, "Singing IN the Rain" "An American In Paris" and 'Bandwagon" were also "juke back musicals".

'Rain" and "Bandwagon" had only one original song writtern for them, 
Paris none at all. Granted there is a difference since the movies I mentioned   used the songs of only one songwriter.Songwriting team, but they were stil jukebox musicals.....almost all the songs had been around for a while.

Don't know why movies that came out decades ago are being brought up when talking about the budget of a jukebox box musical in 2024. An American in Paris came out almost 75 years ago, not really relevant here when talking about budgets.

The licensing for popular songs isn't cheap on top of the extremely high pay that Gaga, Pheonix and Phillips are getting can maybe explain some of the high budget, maybe not all of it but some of it.  Depends on how many songs they have and what they are.

20 minutes ago, dudalb said:

I liked 'The Joker" but it pretty obvious that Philips borrowed very heavily from "Taxi Driver",.

It doesn't matter, this was parroted to death since release, it's still different enough and this criticism can be applied to most movies, applying it very selectively when it's convenient is just dishonest. The Batman borrowed very heavily from Fincher, Se7en and Zodiac in particular, but I don't remember many complaints about this because filmbros selectively criticize or praise for the same thing.

Edited by Firepower
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, dudalb said:

No SPidey movie will be R rated, kids love Spidey too much, no studio is going to throw away that money.

Sony can maybe be convinced with the money Deadpool is making. It won't be a Spidey mainline movie it'll be a Deadpool movie with Spidey in it. So they would just be lending him out like they have been doing. Or they lend out Garfield Spidey if they're really reluctant. 

3 minutes ago, Firepower said:

It doesn't matter, this was parroted to death since release, it's still different enough and this criticism can be applied to most movies, applying it very selectively when it's convenient is just dishonest. The Batman borrowed very heavily from Fincher, Se7en and Zodiac in particular, but I don't remember many complaints about this because filmbros selectively criticize or praise for the same thing.

TDK also borrowed heavily from Heat. This stuff if nothing new.  Films homage other films all the time. 

Ironically, Matt Reeves cited Taxi Driver as an inspiration as well. 

• Like 2

No One is complaining about the movie being cheap so why a discussion about the budget ? If they spent that much It means there is a reason. No One wastes Money just because...and a 200M budget for the sequel of a 1B movie (plus great numbers on vod, home video etc ..) is absolutely a justifiable budget. 

18 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

I can imagine that Phillips and Phoenix did this for the easy paycheck, and not so much because they felt there was an interesting story to tell. Say what you will about the first Joker movie, but it did something different by the standards of a CBM, and I've always felt that giving it a sequel would cheapen it. They should’ve let the original stand on its own. 

Sorry, but Joker did not do anything that had not been done over 40 years before . I liked it just fine, but it was not that daring escept is had Comic Book CHarecters.

And, guy, you know damn well, when a film makes as much money as "The Joker" you know there is going to be a sequel. 

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

This is not CGI heavy movie. I dont know why it was so expensive. Obviously bigger pay checks for Phoenix, Gaga and Philips. Still why so high. Could have given them backend deals based on performance. 

In the post-Covid era, no big name with clout wants to rely on the backend for a big payday. They signed these Joker 2 contracts in 2022. You couldn't be certain the studio would change strategies and curtail the theatrical release somehow.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Sorry, but Joker did not do anything that had not been done over 40 years before . I liked it just fine, but it was not that daring escept is had Comic Book CHarecters.

It was daring by today's standards, otherwise there would've been no controversies around it. I do agree there were more violent, unhinged and shocking studio movies on similar topics like Natural Born Killers, but it absolutely wouldn't be made today, that age is long gone.

Edited by Firepower

20 minutes ago, dudalb said:

And, guy, you know damn well, when a film makes as much money as "The Joker" you know there is going to be a sequel. 

I see you conveniently ignored the part where I specifically said “by the standards of a CBM”. You do know what ‘CBM’ stands for, right? 

Edited by WittyUsername