TMP

Joker: Folie a Deux | October 4, 2024 | Lady Gaga is Harley Quinn in this 200M+ musical sequel

never heard of anyone considering phoenix's joker an unironic hero, maybe somewhat relatable, but never really someone to look up to

considering that, I don't see how this movie's supposed "takedown" of him will offend anyone (I say this having already read the spoilers) 

• Like 1

Showtimes for this are starting to appear (starts at 3:00 that Thursday and doesn't appear to be doing Early Access shows). Looking at that weekend, it's on less screens (vs. more, considering this is over a half hour longer) so far than Beetlejuice was when it went on sale, at least from what I can tell. Not pressing any panic buttons, but for a movie that should be an easy $100M+ opener on paper, would err on the side of caution (especially since it's going on sale with already weakened enthusiasm this far out).

7 hours ago, dudalb said:

Happens all the time . And it is nothing new.

"Gone With The Wind" never had a final shooting script, and rewrites were going on at night.

I don't know why people bring up other movies when the first Joker itself was rewriten daily according to Zazie Beetz:

"According to Beetz, Phillips rewrote the entire script during production; because Phoenix lost so much weight for the film, there would not be an opportunity for reshoots. She recalled, "The script was great. We rewrote the whole thing while we were shooting it. We would go into Todd's trailer and write the scene for the night and then do it. During hair and makeup we'd memorize those lines and then do them and then we'd reshoot that three weeks later"

Edited by cinema pal

Although I'm sceptical of it's total performance but I think this will still open around 100 M. Because even the original suicide squad which was garbage opened above 100 M just because of joker . So the popularity of Joker as fictional character not the phoenix one will make sure this will open around 100 M 

13 minutes ago, Cooper Legion said:

No. Not obviously. Performance of sequels to idiosyncratic lightning in a bottle success have a lot of legitimate uncertainty!

The first film is too famous and successful for its sequel with the same lead actor to not open over 100 mln. This is not 80s when even the best sequels had harsh drops, now we have plenty of successful sequels to lightning in a bottle originals (Pirates 2, Guardians 2 etc)

Edited by TomThomas

The playlist:

Of all the things Phillips does better in “Joker: Folie à Deux” than he did in “Joker,” the best is by far his course correction in catering to radical misogynists.

Original Score: B

There was misoginy in the first movie? Where?

6 hours ago, Cooper Legion said:

high quality GIF

6 hours ago, Eric Deetz said:

Yes. In my opinion at least.

FWIW I still think it will hit at least $100M opening thanks to the Gaga of it all. Without her and I would definitely be on the "opening below the $95M of the original quite easily" train though.

The first joker made 7.5M of 96M from IMAX.

From 2019 to now the format and premium format in general exploded, see the numbers this year for every blockbuster. This could beat the first weekend IMAX record.

Plus the inflation for "normal tickets" plus definitely more theaters than the First plus the first movie got great legs for a cinecomic with a 100M opening, this gonna beat the First and with a large margine. 😅.

It didn't even need Harley Quinn to do that.

But still she's a new excting thing (i don't know why someone says there isn't any new thing like Wolverine when Harley Quinn is in the posters of the movie).

Joker + Harley is a big thing. They're very popular.

It's hinting at a love story - romantic side the first didn't have to appeal the female audience too.

Edited by vale9001

Count me in the “skeptical” camp. I see this probably opening a tad better than Joker but honestly can see this tapping out somewhere around $250m Dom, $850m WW.

The hype is reserved, the appetite isn’t fully there. This film seems to be rehashing societal themes from the pre-Covid world. Society has a different psyche these days.

How big of a draw is Gaga, really? She’s a decade past peak popularity. A Star Is Born was 6 years ago, her last album was 4 years ago, and it’s not like she made House of Gucci a hit, and she was the top-billed star.