TMP

Joker: Folie a Deux | October 4, 2024 | Lady Gaga is Harley Quinn in this 200M+ musical sequel

1 hour ago, Opium said:

They are just straight up lying about South Korea. It has not even started pre sales there (I just checked KOFIC). And it won't even do half of what they are claiming in SK, 10m is a wet dream.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheFlatLannister said:

You’re significantly underestimating how much of a cultural phenomenon/lighting in a bottle Joker OG run was. The sequel was never going to recapture that. 

That would be an understandable explanation if it just declined -- like $850M WW or whatever. But this is looking like an absolutely massive drop, like $400M WW or something. This isn't an Aquaman/Captain Marvel scenario where the OG movie was mid and just made bank based on the state of comic book movies at the time. The first Joker was a cultural behemoth and has way higher Letterboxd/IMDB ratings than the former two, so why did Joker not make people want to watch a sequel? 

Edited by HummingLemon496
  • Like 2

I still think this is going to do great OW and Overseas OW. I think WOM will hurt this film with regards to it's legs. I don't think Gaga fans are going to skip this film, and I don't think the Joker/DC fanboys are going to skip it either, but I do think Gaga fans will be disappointed AFTER they see it and see how her role has been minimized and I think the DC fanboys and general public will be disappointed AFTER they realize this is a musical. WB has still been VERY discreet about promoting this film as a musical. No mention of it in the trailer.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

If WOM is "good".  :rofl:

It would have to be more than good.  Even Bohemian Rhapsody didn't hit that pre pandemic.  Post pandemic SK has had 2 films a year over 10m admissions - all SK films.

The last time there were more than 2 was 2019 with Endgame, Frozen 2, Aladdin, Parasite, and Extreme Job.  It was an out of the ordinary year.  The year before that -  2.  The year before that - 1.

And 1/7th of DW in Brazil - is that supposed to be great?

They should've made it even more dangerous than the first one, whatever it even means. Template was right in front of them: Natural Born Killers, hugely controversial film with copycat murders blamed on it, I think there are some elements from NBK here like Steven Coogan's character being similar to Wayne Gale, but it doesn't look like it went anywhere that far. Since Natural Born Killers could be seen by some as power fantasy about 2 lovers-serial killers, a comic book movie like this could make hot headlines and stronger opinions both sides, something this one probably needed.

Edited by TomThomas
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, excel1 said:

JOKER 2019 was seen as the sequel everyone always wanted and never received for Ledger.

Nah. If ledger was alive and he did the joker movie. It would have grossed 1.3B + . Domestic 450 M +

• Like 2

4 hours ago, TomThomas said:

They should've made it even more dangerous than the first one, whatever it even means. Template was right in front of them: Natural Born Killers, hugely controversial film with copycat murders blamed on it, I think there are some elements from NBK here like Steven Coogan's character being similar to Wayne Gale, but it doesn't look like it went anywhere that far. Since Natural Born Killers could be seen by some as power fantasy about 2 lovers-serial killers, a comic book movie like this could make hot headlines and stronger opinions both sides, something this one probably needed.

The first rumors were claiming that violent direction in the script, it was suggested by worldofreel that occasionally has infos that it would have been ‘A Clockwork Orange’ kind of movie, then Grace Randolph was the first anticipating the musical thing months later, I’m sure lot of changes have been done with the script including during the filming with Joaquin rewriting scenes at the last minute (confirmed by Gaga in the Vogue interview).

I always though making the Joker Sequel a Musical was a huge,huge gamble, simply because, to put it kindly, Muscials are not much liked by the core CBM Male 18 to 35 fanbase. 

I think that is a pretty ignorant viewpoint to have but it's real.

I don't think this going to bomb the way Marvels did, I can still see a huge opening weekend for it; it is the legs I question.

I think this needed a really strong critical reception given the huge chance Philips took, it is not getting that, mixed is the best it can hope for.

I will be there opneing weekend, I am really curious to see what Phillips did, but I think the this is going be a billion dollar blockbuster opinion is DOA.

Fact is fans of genre films are always saying they want films that are completly new , fresh and daring takes on the genre, but if you give them one that relly is fresh and daring, many of the same fans who said they wanted something diffeent will hate it.

And, once again, this proves the eternal truth of William Goldman's take on the film industy:

Nobody Knows Nothing.

4 hours ago, TomThomas said:

And could have backfired, in today's climate You do not your film to be accused of encourgaing violence.

22 hours ago, HummingLemon496 said:

What's your prediction for Joker 2 based on the sales OW/DOM/WW. Even if you're not sure just gimme something. You WERE correct when you said this would drop from Joker 1 WW, I myself was confident that this would do above Joker 1 

$65M/$180M/not sure about WW. OS could do nice numbers, but not touching that $700M+ Joker made in 2019