TMP

Joker: Folie a Deux | October 4, 2024 | Lady Gaga is Harley Quinn in this 200M+ musical sequel

44 minutes ago, wattage said:

Still don't understand how on earth anyone manages to make this concept boring. I've been baffled since the reviews out of Venice. Making Chicago but with the Joker and Harley Quinn and it's somehow dull. And I was excited about the premise I thought even if the fans of the original hated it I might still love it. 

So you already watched it?

The Batman is frustrating. It’s one of the best 100 minute superhero movies ever trapped in a 160 hour superhero movie. A case where warners telling a director to do whatever he wanted may not have been wholly good. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

I’m convinced more than ever that Phillips didn’t actually want to make this movie, just like Lana Wachowski didn’t want to make Matrix 4. 

He didn't, it's probably more like Gremlins 2 than Matrix 4 because Matrix 4 was completely rejected and Gremlins 2 was well regarded over years despite the initial flop. Joe Dante really didn't want to make Gremlins 2, but WB gave him full creative control and showered him with money because they wanted sequel badly, so he gave up and made a wild movie that was also a satire on the first one. It's actually fascinating how similar Joker 2 to Gremlins 2. Both were made for the same reasons, both open with a cartoon, both are very different from the first one, both are meta critique of the first movie and its audience, both have musical numbers. 

55 minutes ago, Firepower said:

So you already watched it?

Yes I time traveled to the future to watch the film and I'm reporting back. Or maybe I'm referring to the many reviews that called it dull including the tweet in the post I replied to. I can take reviews on their face if I want to and talk about how I don't understand how a movie with that base concept is being received that way by a not insignificant number of people that have seen it. And you can ignore all that for the movie you also haven't seen until you see it when it releases and I'm not gonna knock you for that but that's your business not mine. 

It’s funny how WB kinda got fucked with both movies while Philips got paid huge amounts both times (he had a massive backend deal for the first film which got him like 100 mil from the theatrical revenue while this time he got paid more money upfront while the movie will probably flop).

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

It’s funny how WB kinda got fucked with both movies while Philips got paid huge amounts both times (he had a massive backend deal for the first film which got him like 100 mil from the theatrical revenue while this time he got paid more money upfront while the movie will probably flop).

King shit.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Yeah they didn't have any co-financers this time around, went all in on the investment. 

1 hour ago, wattage said:

Yes I time traveled to the future to watch the film and I'm reporting back. Or maybe I'm referring to the many reviews that called it dull including the tweet in the post I replied to. I can take reviews on their face if I want to and talk about how I don't understand how a movie with that base concept is being received that way by a not insignificant number of people that have seen it. And you can ignore all that for the movie you also haven't seen until you see it when it releases and I'm not gonna knock you for that but that's your business not mine. 

63% of current reviews are positive which means more than half liked it. Some think it's dull, some think it's not. It's just... opinion, not consensus. Maybe you won't find it dull when you watch it. Or maybe not.

I see some fanboys are still in denial. but then fanboys are often very good at ignoring reality.

When a movie in a franchise makes as much as the Joker did, a sequel is inevitable. Maybe they should have gone in  a more conventional direction.

My own opinion was, when I first heard about the concept, was Phillips has better really, really, pull this off, a mixed reception  would pretty much guarantee a boc office flop given a lot of doubt about making this a musical.

On the other hand,It is amusing to see how some of the people here who earlier were saying what a genius move this was are now blasting Phillips. Thst is why reserving judgement is a good idea.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, dudalb said:

I see some fanboys are still in denial. but then fanboys are often very good at ignoring reality.

When a movie in a franchise makes as much as the Joker did, a sequel is inevitable. Maybe they should have gone in  a more conventional direction.

My own opinion was, when I first heard about the concept, was Phillips has better really, really, pull this off, a mixed reception  would pretty much guarantee a boc office flop given a lot of doubt about making this a musical.

On the other hand,It is amusing to see how some of the people here who earlier were saying what a genius move this was are now blasting Phillips. Thst is why reserving judgement is a good idea.

What does fanboyism have to do with thinking a Joker sequel was unnecessary? 

2 minutes ago, dudalb said:

TBF most people never thought it would have a 200m production budget

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Firepower said:

Gladiator sequel is even more unnecessary and yet here we are. We have unnecessary sequels each month at this point.

HA Why do Joker2 fanboys hate Gladiator 2? Something i noticed on the forum...

3 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

What does fanboyism have to do with thinking a Joker sequel was unnecessary? 

I meant they still think they this has a chance of being a big hit.

And frankly, I find the whole concept of unesscary to be a bit unrelistic. If a film makes a lot of money, particualr in a CBN franchise, it si going to get a sequel. A lot of sequels that are unnecccsary from an artistic point of view make a lot of money.

It's all about the profits. Always had been, always will be.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Maggie said:

HA Why do Joker2 fanboys hate Gladiator 2? Something i noticed on the forum...

Cause Gladistor  2 still has a reasonable chance of being a sucess.

They are taking our their frustrations on somebody.

Just now, Firepower said:

I won't speak for everyone, but I was Ridley fanboy and my confidence in him seriously shaked over last 10 years.

Ah I understand you perfectly. Same here with Tom Cruise. We are tired of being disappointed