TMP

Joker: Folie a Deux | October 4, 2024 | Lady Gaga is Harley Quinn in this 200M+ musical sequel

5 minutes ago, Firepower said:

Gladiator sequel is even more unnecessary and yet here we are. We have unnecessary sequels each month at this point.

And a number of them make a lot of money.

It is a business folks, first last and always.

Of course they make some bad choices which cost them money, but in end greelighiing any movie is a business, not an artistic decision. A film that makes as much as the Joker is going to get a sequel greenlit. Their mistake was in not questioning Philips approach, thinking that just Phoenix as the Joker would guarantee huge box office no matter what was wrong wiht the film.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Cause Gladistor  2 still has a reasonable chance of being a sucess.

They are taking our their frustrations on somebody.

Oh yeah, swords and sandals epics and legacy sequels without stars of the original casually do 800+M with R rating and poor marketing, that's reasonable and how it usually works...

I think both will likely flop, both are technically unnecessary. But it's a wild to predict that swords and sandals epic will do nearly a billion when it never did even in better circumstances, unless we count 60s epics after inflation and I'm still not sure because I didn't do research about that.

8 minutes ago, Maggie said:

Ah I understand you perfectly. Same here with Tom Cruise. We are tired of being disappointed

I can't say Cruise disappointed me lately, but it's ok if you feel that way.

Edited by Firepower

9 minutes ago, dudalb said:

And a number of them make a lot of money.

It is a business folks, first last and always.

Of course they make some bad choices which cost them money, but in end greelighiing any movie is a business, not an artistic decision. A film that makes as much as the Joker is going to get a sequel greenlit. Their mistake was in not questioning Philips approach, thinking that just Phoenix as the Joker would guarantee huge box office no matter what was wrong wiht the film.

As I said previously, it's literally Gremlins 2. WB didn't question Joe Dante's approach either because they wanted a sequel so badly.

34 minutes ago, Mad Max007 said:

WB really thought Phillips was the auteur they should back up with this movie lol.

I think it was a case of Joaquin Phoenix returning as the Joker/FLeck would guarantee big box office no matter the rest of the film.

And you had a number of people early in this thread saying the same thing.

33 minutes ago, Firepower said:

As I said previously, it's literally Gremlins 2. WB didn't question Joe Dante's approach either because they wanted a sequel so badly.

DIffrence is that Dante made a really good funny film that has found it's audience, that does not seem to be the case here.

But, yeah, Gremlins 2 was ahead of it's time. I doubt that is the case here.

So we are now a Gremlins 2 thread?  I am game for that.

I should add Gremlins 2 was a bomb that only became popular years later.  I can see Joker 2 developing a cult following later amidst musical fans in years if the reports are true.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Mad Max007 said:

WB really thought Phillips was the auteur they should back up with this movie lol.

There are only 3 auteurs who can make money with their name: Nolan, Tarantino and maybe Cameron (because he's so deep in Avatars there was no chance to test him again), everyone else doesn't guarantee anything, general audience completely ignored last Scorsese movie with DiCaprio.

Edited by Firepower

10 minutes ago, dudalb said:

DIffrence is that Dante made a really good funny film that has found it's audience, that does not seem to be the case here.

But, yeah, Gremlins 2 was ahead of it's time. I doubt that is the case here.

Gremlins 2 flopped and probably hurt Dante's career, it found audience only years later. This one is not even released yet to say whether it found its audience or not.

Edited by Firepower

1 hour ago, Maggie said:

Ah I understand you perfectly. Same here with Tom Cruise. We are tired of being disappointed

Yeah the last 3 Mission Movies, Maverick and Edge of Tomorrow which all came these last 10 years are all such disappointments. How that compares to such stuff as Exodus: Gods and KIngs, Alien Covenant , All the Money in the World ,House of Gucci and Napoleon not sure. The Martian was great and Last Duel deserved to do much better.

24 minutes ago, Human said:

So we are now a Gremlins 2 thread?  I am game for that.

I should add Gremlins 2 was a bomb that only became popular years later.  I can see Joker 2 developing a cult following later amidst musical fans in years if the reports are true.

Everytime a franchise or "geek/nerd"film flops people say that it will become a cult film;  most of the time that does not happen.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mad Max007 said:

I mean they literally offered running DC to him first and only went to Gunn after he turned the position down lol. Zaslav has a massive love for Joker 2019 that I don't quite get.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Mulder said:

I mean they literally offered running DC to him first and only went to Gunn after he turned the position down lol. Zaslav has a massive love for Joker 2019 that I don't quite get.

To be fair, the previous WB administratin was also really pushing heavy for a Joker sequel. When a film makes thar much money, particularly a franchise film, a sequql is a 99% certanity. SO Zaslev is not the only one who has a love for the 2019 film.

Where Zaslev, if he did greenlight the Philips film (not sure if he or the previous administrion greenlit it) his mistake was not in taking  a hard look at the whole Musical concept, and maybe telling Philips, " we don't want to do thia, come up with something a bit more mainstream".

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, poweranimals said:

It made a billion dollars. It also won awards, IIRC.

Sure, that doesn't mean anything in it would make any sense as the main way to do DC movies or show that Todd Phillips was the guy for that.

52 minutes ago, dudalb said:

To be fair, the previous WB administratin was also really pushing heavy for a Joker sequel. When a film makes thar much money, particularly a franchise film, a sequql is a 99% certanity. SO Zaslev is not the only one who has a love for the 2019 film.

Where Zaslev, if he did greenlight the Philips film (not sure if he or the previous administrion greenlit it) his mistake was not in taking  a hard look at the whole Musical concept, and maybe telling Philips, " we don't want to do thia, come up with something a bit more mainstream".

Well, shouldn't studios and producers allow directors to do whatever they want with their movies, instead of interfering with them? I mean, that's what I always keep reading all over the forums, that producers shouldn't mess up with a director's job. So, Philips made a musical with this movie. If it sucks, that's on him. You can't blame Zaslav or anybody else if the sequel fails. They allowed the director to make the movie he wanted to make.

1 hour ago, Mulder said:

He saw that it made a billion dollars off a modest budget, and being an out of touch rich guy who doesn’t seem to give a damn about film as an art form, he assumed that meant that Phillips must be a money-printing machine.