TMP

Joker: Folie a Deux | October 4, 2024 | Lady Gaga is Harley Quinn in this 200M+ musical sequel

7 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

Plus it'd mean a world where Harley and Joker were around for...40 years before Batman first appeared?

That alone is why bringing the Phoenix Joker in the Patterson Batman universe is a bad idea.

But then I don't pay attention to the people who think this such a great idea.

4 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

They don't seem to be promoting it as a musical per se so I'm not sure that'll be an issue.

Without meaning to pick a fight we must have seen different trailers, the one I saw put the musical aspects front and center.

35 minutes ago, Porthos said:

They are absolutely are.  Yes, there is the occasional comments from various members of the production team, but actions speak louder than words.

And that trailer blared to the high heavens that this is gonna be a musical.

(and before anyone feels like being pedantic, "musical" is a very diverse genre with many different types of musicals)

I have seen trailers for musicals that are a bit less blatent about being  musicals then this trailer was.

The comment somebody made that for the Todd Philipps Joker (with all respect to Joaquin ,Phiiips is the real creator of this version of the Joker) to fight Batman in the usual CBM way is not a good idea is something I strongly agree with. Phillips is playing a different game in his universe then in the standard CBM's. That should have been clear from the first Joker movie.

It's the same old story, people scream about wanting something original and new, and when they get it they are angry they are not getting what the  same as before.

These movies weren't meant to have Batman swooping in and saving the day.  That's not what they are about.  There's plenty Batman vs. Joker movies if you want to watch those.  

I read a Thanos origin story before.  At no point was I sitting around wondering if The Avengers or somebody was gonna show up.  It's not meant for that. 

44 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Odd way to refer to the director but okay

So you have chosen death pedantry.  Fair enough.

I said "production team" because folks involved are saying different things to different people.  But beyond that, their actual actions when it comes to promotional materials bely their more equivocal comments. Actions being louder than words. I know faaaaaaar more people are gonna see the trailers/posters than any hedge setting comments by the director or others (though more on this later).

How to market this film poses a rather interesting puzzle/dilemma.  For one, there is a stigma, fair or not, that musicals are unpopular right now. And I use the word "stigma" to note that it is the prevailing wisdom and not necessarily true. 

On the other hand, there is also a perception that folks will resent not being told that an upcoming film is a musical, even if they figure it out for themselves.  Whether this is actually true or not isn't really the point.  

Both of the above are probably thought to hold strong sway over some of the core demos of the film.

Now they could just tell these folks to put on their big boy pants and get over themselves.  

They could point out that there are almost certainly films that they love that are in fact musicals, even if they don't immediately think of them as a musical.

Or they could talk about how varied the genre of musical really is, and that perhaps their fears are unfounded.

Or they could do what they've been doing and downplay some of the musical aspects in some interviews but yell at the top of their lungs that this IS a musical in their trailer.

There is something a danger of them being a bit too cute or clever by half as I do agree with your implicit statement that word from folks involved in production will filter out to the GA on some level.  And if that contradicts what they're actually saying in their trailers and TV spots and posters and whatever else, a disconnect on expectations could form.

On the other hand, this could be their way of saying "Don't worry it's not like THAT type of musical" without going too deeply into what "THAT type" actually means and let the audience draw their own conclusions that it won't be the type of musical they they don't like and how Joker 2 isn't really that type of film.

All I can tell you is if I didn't know a single thing about Joker: Folie a Deux and I saw that trailer, I'd come to the conclusion it was in fact a musical. 

So, no, I can't say I agree with you about them "not promoting it as a musical" because that trailer most certainly did.

2 hours ago, dudalb said:

That alone is why bringing the Phoenix Joker in the Patterson Batman universe is a bad idea.

But then I don't pay attention to the people who think this such a great idea.

It'd be closer to 10-13 which isn't that big a deal lol

The ship has sailed but back in 2018 when both films were in the writing process they could've absolutely connected them both. And I bet that WB feels extremely awkward it didn't happen. Having an extremely succesful Joker that you can't connect to your other Batman which has extremely slim chances of ever being as succesful is an inherently weird position to be in.

Edited by 21C

1 hour ago, Sckathian said:

I feel like cinematic universes have broken peoples brains.

not everything needs a crossover - in fact Jokers very success highlights this.

I do think it needing to be Reeves is dumb but at 200 dollars a pop you bet your ass WB is going to want a Batman in the third one 

This is a very tiresome and boring discussion but i have to say ... anyone that watches movies regularly can tell very clearly that this is a musical based on it´s trailers 

Not putting them singing for 3 minutes straight isn´t hiding, there shouldn´t be a discussion about this imo but good for the movie if they can make something so obvious generate arguments 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sckathian said:

I feel like cinematic universes have broken peoples brains.

not everything needs a crossover - in fact Jokers very success highlights this.

I'm not even sure if you can call wanting to see Batman fighting the Joker is even a "crossover" especially since Batman was set up in the first film lol 

2 hours ago, emoviefan said:

The next 6  months of the musical debate and The Batman and Joker universes being combined debate is going to be so fun.

To steal a line from "Lawrence of Arabia" :"You have a funny sense of fun".

I agree with Porthos that the biggest danger the film has it Phillips might be too cute of too clever for his own good.

We will see.

Edited by dudalb

1 hour ago, ThomasNicole said:

This is a very tiresome and boring discussion but i have to say ... anyone that watches movies regularly can tell very clearly that this is a musical based on it´s trailers 

Not putting them singing for 3 minutes straight isn´t hiding, there shouldn´t be a discussion about this imo but good for the movie if they can make something so obvious generate arguments 

Actuallly, a lot more dancing then singing in the trailer.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, 21C said:

I'm not even sure if you can call wanting to see Batman fighting the Joker is even a "crossover" especially since Batman was set up in the first film lol 

It’s clearly two separate Batmen though. I am not gainer having Batman in these films but not a version already on screen with a pre built story which doesn’t fit. 

Batman in the joker films should literally be a fucked up Bruce literally running around in Hokey gear who is basically absolutely unhinged. 

People wanting Batman in this franchise need to be careful what they wish for. Todd gonna make all those smartass Twitter jokes come true by depicting Bruce as a super narcissistic Elon Musk type who goes one step further to uphold the oppressive structure by running around beating up the impoverished and mentally ill

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

People wanting Batman in this franchise need to be careful what they wish for. Todd gonna make all those smartass Twitter jokes come true by depicting Bruce as a super narcissistic Elon Musk type who goes one step further to uphold the oppressive structure by running around beating up the impoverished and mentally ill

Oh I think any Batman that appears in this won't show Bruce at all. Like it'll be him only as Batman 

I really wish they killed off Bruce Wayne along with his parents in the first movie so we wouldn’t be having this discussion. Two concurrent Batman film series is questionable enough. Three would be sheer insanity. 

47 minutes ago, WebSurfer said:

Batman shows up during a dance scene and shows him how it’s done. 
adam west dance GIF

End of conversation…

If this chad shows up then Joker gonna spiral/pull a Riddler and take it to the incel boards on 8chan