Eric Prime

MLK Weekend Thread: Bad Boys 62.5/73.03 (2nd biggest January debut) | Dolittle 21.84/28.3 | 1917 21.98/26.9

1 hour ago, Jedi Jat said:

There's nothing sad about it IMO. People watch films/media which they relate close to them. America has a significant black population. Countries with significant black population will see black lead films do well and so on for other races.

Problem is Africa is too small financially a market. 

Good point, white movies seem to have universal appeal, I read a report by variety where movies with 80% white cast and 20% minority cast averages the most at 100 million world-wide

Edited by Gokira2012

6 minutes ago, Gokira2012 said:

white movies seem to have universal appeal

Nope. White movies are as alien to locals in East as Black ones. CBMs don't just run as they have white leads. Most comedies/musicals do shit numbers in Asia as they have no relevance at all. Action sell well. There do exist racism as well but so do vice versa.

It just happens that big OS markets are in Europe.

Edited by Jedi Jat
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, MattW said:

Do Chinese people complain that Wandering Earth made over 95% of its total revenue in China?  It's almost as if the United states has a different history and unique cultural baggage compared to other countries, and the hollywood blockbusters that make more than 50% overseas are the exceptions, while the ones that make half or less OS are really doing just fine.

that is different, asian people who want to tell stories from asia can't hire non asian actors, America being so diverse, if black movies under perform, they can hire white actors and make american stories

2 hours ago, CJohn said:

@MCKillswitch123 monster opening for Bad Boys Forever. Will Smith DOMINATING the box office.

https://www.ica-ip.pt/fotos/downloads/ranking_fds_16_a_19_janeiro_2020_87535e25a2a282f8b.pdf

Jumanji is now just 2.000 tickets below Star Wars' total after doubling it this weekend. It is fucking happening any day now.

Solid starts for Just Mercy and A Hidden Life. Hysterical numbers for Dolittle. It is time to let Universal movies go. This is ridiculous.

Universal will stop releasing films in Portugal at this rate.

I just did my research, and 135M is almost impossible for Bad Boys. That would be 1.84x from the 4-Day, and using MLK 4-Day openers from the last 10 years (I'm excluding stuff that expanded from limited like American Sniper or The Post), the only movies that had worse legs were The Last Stand, Devil's Due, Norm of the North, The Bye Bye Man, and Proud Mary. And wouldn't you know it, all of these movies either opened low or were complete garbage. Considering Bad Boys opened well, and so far has solid reception...yeah, I doubt it'll finish that low.

For the record, I doubt 200M will happen. That would require a 2.72x multiplier, and the movies that finished around there was stuff like Ride Along, the Paddington movies, The Wedding Ringer, 13 Hours, and Jack Ryan. For a sequel with a built-in audience, that's pretty unrealistic.

165M sounds about right though

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

"Initial reactions to trauma can include exhaustion, confusion, sadness, anxiety, agitation, numbness, dissociation, physical arousal, and blunted affect." (Trauma Informed Care in Behavioural Health Services)

The behaviour of Peter in Hereditary is scientifically one of the most accurate depictions of immediate responses to trauma that a horror film has ever seen.

I don't think it was. He left the body in the car. A headless body of his sister. Sorry, that's lame and incredibly stupid....IMO. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

expecting something closer to 2.4x the 4-day. Bad Boys isn't the type of movie to be particularly "leggy" in today's market, but reception is good, and there's no competition for the next 2 weeks. I'd say ~175 is a fair guess.