Eric the Ape

MLK Weekend Thread: Bad Boys 62.5/73.03 (2nd biggest January debut) | Dolittle 21.84/28.3 | 1917 21.98/26.9

@Jedi Jat I think you are right on the money with that statement.

Btw I don't get people saying it's doing bad overseas, it had a great opening in Germany, suprisingly strong in Spain, UK was decent. OS has good shot at going over the DOM gross and I don't get why that would be bad for a comedie movie.

2 hours ago, Gokira2012 said:

No way: $165 Domestic

$335 World-Wide

But

Realistic: $135 Domestic

$265 World-Wide

Btw many people have pointed out the faulty DOM gross expectance but I also want to add that your OS gross is to low.

It opened to $40m OS (in about 65% of the markets) still has France, Russia, Italy, Japan and Brazil left as big markets + 10 small ones.

OS market isn't the same as the DOM one so there weren't any holidays so the legs will be better and it wil easily make 3 times it's opening weekend (good WoM and it's doing big in Europe a leggy market).

So $40m * 3 = $120m add on top the other 30 - 35% of the markets it hasn't opened in and you get $170m - $185m overseas. For caution sake let's say $160m - $185m atm with a shot at $200m  if WoM is very good.

21 minutes ago, Alli said:

Scott starts the year with a very bad take

Except that he isn't wrong this time.

Family movies already showed us several times that they can overcome bad reviews and break-out, even if there aren't a super popular brand behind there, the fact this movie is flopping even with a 'draw' says it all. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

Except that he isn't wrong this time.

Family movies already showed us several times that they can overcome bad reviews and break-out, even if there aren't a super popular brand behind there, the fact this movie is flopping even with a 'draw' says it all. 

The Dolittle debacle reminds me of The Mummy 2017. Toxic reviews killed what low interest there was in the movie. Dolittle is just a truly bad movie. Few/no actors can overcome the type of reviews/bad press  it got

• Like 1

scott is right that RDJ is no star when he isn't iron man or that other brand name sherlock but Dolittle flopped because it looked rancid and was rancid. that's all that is. no big name could've saved it. Cruise, Smith, Ford and Arnie in their primtime together wouldn't save Dolittle.

14 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Lol are they talking about @Eric Dolittle? From BOpro

For context, the average three-day projections were generally in the low $40M range. On one popular box office prediction website, the highest that any user projected was $51M for the three-day.

When you didn't even hit the average :kitschjob: 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Alli said:

The Dolittle debacle reminds me of The Mummy 2017. Toxic reviews killed what low interest there was in the movie. Dolittle is just a truly bad movie. Few/no actors can overcome the type of reviews/bad press  it got

That's a poor excuse, The Mumy is a movie aiming to Adult audiences, those persons do care about reviews.

Families? Not at all. 

27 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Lol are they talking about @Eric Dolittle? From BOpro

For context, the average three-day projections were generally in the low $40M range. On one popular box office prediction website, the highest that any user projected was $51M for the three-day.

Pretty sure that’s @8wombi7’s 50.87 prediction from the Derby.

17 minutes ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

That's a poor excuse, The Mumy is a movie aiming to Adult audiences, those persons do care about reviews.

Families? Not at all. 

Give me a list of family movies with sub 20% RT reviews that did well

Pluto Nash (4%)?  Ice Age Collision Course (18%)?   

Even Mars Needs Moms, Nutcracker & The 4 Realms and Alice 2 where in the 30s - and they hardly did well.

Families may mostly ignore reviews in the 40s and 50s (even then Dumbo, TLK etc would have done better with better reviews) but so do adult audiences when it's not a prestige drama/indie.

Edited by TalismanRing