Eric Duncan

MLK Weekend Thread: Bad Boys 62.5/73.03 (2nd biggest January debut) | Dolittle 21.84/28.3 | 1917 21.98/26.9

7 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

Based on MTC I am seeing BB sunday at 18.25m !!!! if it over indexes as canada does not have a holiday, its looking at a YUGE increase from estimates. 

Dolittle seem to be on par with estimates. MTC1 is holding up better(17.5% drop) than MTC2 (22.5%). 

I'm seeing just under 18m from my sample.

3 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

I don't really have a problem with people have a different opinion and stuff but I find this criticism really odd. I thought it made sense for a teenager in shock to do that (I mean he thinks he just killed his sister). I think you don't find it logical just because its something you wont do. Was it a logical decision? Not really. But when have teenager ever been logical (espescially one that brought his middle school sister to a high school party and let her eat something that would get her allergy starting up)? Most adults probably won't make a logical decision in the same position either.

You can't tell me that my logic is faulty. It's my logic. mine. You might find it perfectly acceptable and I don't. I think it's one of the most ridiculous silliest things I've seen in any film. I know when I was a teenager that would not be something I would do. So it's okay if you think the logic is perfectly acceptable and fine. I have no problem with that. But I didn't buy it. And because I didn't it affected my enjoyment and acceptance of the movie.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Hatebox said:

This is true but it's also a comedy thing. How many foreign comedies do well at the American box office?

Just for a frame of reference for some American-culture specific comedies to reverse this point:

Good Boys: 75% of WW total came from the domestic box office

21 Jump Street: 68% 

Paul Blart: 80% 

Superbad: 72% 

Zombieland: 74% 

Napolean Dynamite: 97% 

Crazy Rich Asians: 73% 

Easy A: 78% 

Scott Pilgrim: 66% 

Blockers: 64% 

The Heat: 69% 

30 Minutes or Less: 92%

Pineapple Express: 86%

That's just a few examples across the last decade and a bit. Comedies are more likely to be more culturally specific. Even some of the more universal movies like Lego Movie, Tropic Thunder and Bridesmaids show this trend.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

Bad Boys is hitting $200m DOM, Jesus Christ!!!! :ohmygod:

Let's not start sucking each other's dicks quite yet.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Gokira2012 said:

The sad truth is black movies over-perform in the USA and under-perform Overseas, but the over-perform in the USA isn't enough to cancel out the under-perform overseas, check box office mojo, you will see white movies make 65% of the box office overeas, and 35% of the box in America, black movies make 51% of the box office in America and 49% of the box offic overseas, studios try to off set this by giving black movies lower budgets, but they have to take a hit on the profits by doing this

There's nothing sad about it IMO. People watch films/media which they relate close to them. America has a significant black population. Countries with significant black population will see black lead films do well and so on for other races.

Problem is Africa is too small financially a market. 

• Like 3

"Initial reactions to trauma can include exhaustion, confusion, sadness, anxiety, agitation, numbness, dissociation, physical arousal, and blunted affect." (Trauma Informed Care in Behavioural Health Services)

The behaviour of Peter in Hereditary is scientifically one of the most accurate depictions of immediate responses to trauma that a horror film has ever seen.

• Like 1

LMAO, people cant be serious, complaining that movies with black cast have "only" an boxoffice ration of like 50/50 while foreing movies need to be ether already gigantic crowd pleasures like Ne Zha or seen as cinematic masterpieces to even get a small limited release. And only if the americans cant get away with remaking the movie with an american cast - looking at you the upside.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

51 minutes ago, baumer said:

You can't tell me that my logic is faulty. It's my logic. mine. You might find it perfectly acceptable and I don't. I think it's one of the most ridiculous silliest things I've seen in any film. I know when I was a teenager that would not be something I would do. So it's okay if you think the logic is perfectly acceptable and fine. I have no problem with that. But I didn't buy it. And because I didn't it affected my enjoyment and acceptance of the movie.

My point is that most people don't make logical situations. I would even say horror movies are about people making the worst decisions. People react differently to situations. What's more important is that the way the character acts makes sense for the character to act. A character who acts illogically making an illogical decision is justified because that's a part of the character's personality. It's like watching Uncut Gems and saying that the movie sucks because of the irrational decisions Sandler's character makes eventhough it makes a lot of sense a scummy and greedy character like that makes those decisions.

The kid already made illogical decisions before that scene so don't see why that is the only illogical part. You think he wasn't being illogical by bringing his sister and leaving her alone in a high school party and letting her eat the cake that caused her allergy to start? And I doubt you would act the way you think you would act because thats the way emotions work. They make you make irrational decisions (unless you think you would be unfazed and calm in a situation like that which I doubt most people who be able to).

Edit: Also what @Ipickthiswhiterose said about trauma. 

Edited by lorddemaxus

46 minutes ago, Coldbird said:

LMAO, people cant be serious, complaining that movies with black cast have "only" an boxoffice ration of like 50/50 while foreing movies need to be ether already gigantic crowd pleasures like Ne Zha or seen as cinematic masterpieces to even get a small limited release. And only if the americans cant get away with remaking the movie with an american cast - looking at you the upside.

Blacks are Americans