Eric Duncan

MLK Weekend Thread: Bad Boys 62.5/73.03 (2nd biggest January debut) | Dolittle 21.84/28.3 | 1917 21.98/26.9

19 minutes ago, sfran43 said:

Rumored 90 Million Budget.   Great Start for Bad Boys very happy with this result to rival both "John Wick 3" and "Hobbs and Shaw" Domestically in a January Frame.  This opening is also bigger than "Bad Boys II" Unadjusted.  Even though it was a sequel, the whole Franchise was been revitalized.  

Edited by filmscholar

15 hours ago, aladdino said:

thats a terrible list, no shade.

While I don't agree with the dismissive tone and shortness of this post, I do agree with the notion that this list.... thoroughly explained and backed up with obviously thought-through support for the opinions given, thankfully.... is a not-very-good representation of the best horror the 2010s offered up.

My thinking on "Best of" lists for years (or decades) is.... even if you disagree with some of the placements or titles, you could step back from the list and evaluate it on the basis of whether or not a total novice to the genre (or medium, even) could use the list as a good place to dive in and get a great sense of what the time period had to offer at its top tiers.

If I took that list and did that step-back, I'd feel like the 2010s were fairly misrepresented in terms of what happened in that genre.... But then again, at the end of the day, all lists are just a representation of what worked for the writer, and if we're lucky, the writer will explain WHY it worked on them... that does happen in this list, and it doesn't happen enough in MANY lists, so even if I disagree with the list's makeup, I very much appreciate the effort, and seeing it shared.

Just to put money where my mouth is.... Movies I would put on this list over most of the choices (I'd try to keep It Follows, Mandy, and Midsommar) :

Get Out, The Babadook, Hereditary, A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night, The Witch, Raw, Green Room, Train to Busan, Kill List, Revenge, 10 Cloverfield Lane, Black Swan, You're Next, Tigers are Not Afraid, The Perfection, One Cut of the Dead

Edited by LawrenceBrolivier
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, filmscholar said:

Rumored 90 Million Budget.   Great Start for Bad Boys very happy with this result to rival both "John Wick 3" and "Hobbs and Shaw" Domestically in a January Frame.  This opening is also bigger than "Bad Boys II" Unadjusted.  Even though it was a sequel, the whole Franchise was been revitalized.  

WorldWide Box Office Prediction $265,000,000

19 minutes ago, Gokira2012 said:

Black movies make far less overseas, sad.. but true, if you think USA is racist, try being black outside America

Well it's still better than 99% of all the movies released not in the DOM market. Almost every movie produced in India, China, South korea, France, Germany, Belgium don't make a dime in the US or oversea's.

Also with the WoM it has and the nature of comedie movies + it still have 10+ markets to be released in it probably will do $150m + OS. So it will match or do more than Johnwick 3 did.

Edited by pepsa

18 minutes ago, Gokira2012 said:

Black movies make far less overseas, sad.. but true, if you think USA is racist, try being black outside America

Maybe black movies like Madea or Just Mercy, sure. But Black Panther and ID4 and such, movies with a brand to them, don't really discriminate whether you're black white or Asian.

• Like 5

So BB3 is looking at 325-350 ww on 90 prod budget + marketing (+ Smith backend).

Shazam did 360-365 ww, also with a healthy dom ratio and small China ratio on a similar prod budget.

BB3 will look a lot more successful though due to different expectations and genres.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, baumer said:

Maybe black movies like Madea or Just Mercy, sure. But Black Panther and ID4 and such, movies with a brand to them, don't really discriminate whether you're black white or Asian.

That's true in general for american comedies/dramas with non-black leads too.  It's a myth that movies with a black lead don't sell. Will Smith, Eddie Murphy, Denzel Washington are proof of that..

Edited by babz06

2 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

Dolittle saturday around 9m if MTC were to be accurate. 

10 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

if I have to guess Bad Boys is looking at 22m saturday. 

Fantastic job on both. BB3 came in at 21.825M while Dolittle at 8.98M.

• Like 3
  • Astonished 1