Eric Quinn

The Marvels | November 10, 2023 | Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter

I think it would be pretty damn cool if this connected to the Loki finale somehow, but I don’t see how that would make much difference in its box office.

Aren’t most people who will rush to watch Loki the same people who would watch this anyway?  On the other side of this same coin, aren’t the people potentially turned off by this fact the kind of people who wouldn’t have watched this anyway?

Edited by Arlborn

2 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

I think it would be pretty damn cool if this connected to the Loki finale somehow, but I don’t see how that would make much difference in its box office.

Aren’t most people who will rush to watch Loki the same people who would watch this anyway?  On the other side of this same coin, aren’t the people potentially turned off by this fact the kind of people who wouldn’t have watched this anyway?

This could make difference in box office as casuals who aren't interested in The Marvels but interested in Loki might check out the movie after knowing that the movie is connected to Loki show/bigger overarching storyine.

45 minutes ago, Willowra said:

No, I wasn't saying the Loki finale releasing at the same date would be the only reason this movie could doom. I've already given multiple reasons on this and other threads why the Marvels could underperform or flop, and I don't want to repeat those. But if they connect this movie with the Loki finale storyline, then my prediction is that it would do at least 400m and could go up to 600m

Yeah, no, there's no way an episode of a TV show moves the needle by a quarter billion dollars

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

It's only around the edges, to a degree, but I wouldn't undersell/discount the idea about Marvel Fandom being in a Happy Place should Loki S2 deliver versus Marvel Fandom being... grumpy (ala post Secret Invasion).  If only for buzz and general good feelings on social media.

I know people like to discount social media discussion as Not Real Life, and that's true again to a degree.  At the same time we just witnessed what a Fully Armed and Operational Social Media campaign can do to a pair of movies, so maybe we shouldn't discount it as much as some do.

To put it a different way, buzz is buzz.  And if the current buzz is that Marvel is on an upswing, IMO that's gonna help this movie.  But if it isn't, or if Loki S2 gets a similar reception that Secret Invasion did, I do think it'll be something of a drag.

NB: something of a drag ≠ bomb, flop, disappointment, whatever.  But having the MCU brand can cut both ways. 

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 3

So what are the big takeaways from this Total Film interview? 

"The biggest difference from the other MCU movies to date is that it’s really wacky, and silly," DaCosta teases. "The worlds we go to in this movie are worlds unlike others you’ve seen in the MCU. Bright worlds that you haven’t seen before."

Basically selling an old school wacky silver-age space adventure.

"The Avengers movies are these epic conclusions to chapters of storytelling, whereas this is a team-up within the narrative that we didn’t necessarily expect for Marvel," explains executive producer Mary Livanos. "Usually, you wait for characters to show up all together in Avengers movies. We were excited to design a team-up featuring characters that women from all walks of life could relate to."...“This was something Kevin and I had talked about from the beginning, that this was the way this story made sense to go,” Larson told Entertainment Weekly earlier this summer of the shift away from a straightforward Captain Marvel sequel.

(1) It's "The Marvels", a big teamup film not 'just' CM2. (2) A push for a younger(?) female audience that's underindexed in previous marvel films. 

deals with some fluctuations in time and space, and there’s definite danger afoot that could affect the multiverse,” said Livanos. “Where it all leads is a bit of a spoiler, and exactly how it’ll all pan out in an Avengers movie is currently being figured out right now. But we’re definitely ending our characters in places that allow for plentiful opportunity

BIG AVENGERS TEASE...while also undercutting it. 

That’s a question for [Marvel boss] Kevin Feige,” says DaCosta of how The Marvels fits into the larger shared narrative of the Multiverse Saga. “I have lots of thoughts. But I actually have no idea what they’re going to do in the Avengers movies. I do know that those guys who are doing that watch the films, see what we’re doing. I have things I really want [to happen]. But I’m not sure.” And that means it’s the “next guy’s” problem which Livanos explained.

emphasizing the fact that (as always) this stuff is infinitely less planned out than fans think. 

2 hours ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

emphasizing the fact that (as always) this stuff is infinitely less planned out than fans think. 

Nia won't be directing Avengers movies; Larson might have more information about the next Avengers movies than her, as she would be part of those movies.

Guardians 3's lukewarm opening is all the proof you need that the Disney+ series being divisive absolutely hurts the larger franchise. I agree with Porthos that if this new Loki season lives up to the first, the only truly beloved Disney+ series from beginning to end so far, then that momentum will help The Marvels to some extent at least. I've already made my case a bunch of times as to why that movie will need all the help it can, so I won't repeat myself here. I'll simply say that Nia's words were very poorly chosen here, promising a tone which the fans have been rejecting lately.

15 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Only on BOT is a 120 million dollar opening considered bad

Considering 2 opened to near 150m in 2017 and the Guardians being in a much popular now vs 6 years ago as well as underperforming tracking of 130m, it is considered disappointing. Not bad or godawful but yes it’s fair to call it disappointing. Why are you flipping out about it, it rebounded strongly with legs later.

Edited by YM!
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, WorkingonaName said:

A marvel movie that's "Wacky" AND "Silly", amazing innovation. 

Did people think this movie was going to be dark and gritty somehow? A movie starring Kamala Khan? Why are people suddenly upset of this wacky body-switching space adventure involving people being eaten by alien tentacle cats isn't serious 

Edited by SpiderByte

5 hours ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Guardians 3's lukewarm opening is all the proof you need that the Disney+ series being divisive absolutely hurts the larger franchise. I agree with Porthos that if this new Loki season lives up to the first, the only truly beloved Disney+ series from beginning to end so far, then that momentum will help The Marvels to some extent at least.

Obviously, we don't know how the movies would be performing without the D+ series, but I think it's way more complicated that D+ shows bad = hurt movies.

The more interconnected everything is, the more it's going to feel like homework to some and that's not fun.  2021 had 3 movies and 5 tv shows!  They could have all been amazing but that's asking a lot of people.   

I think that yeah there's an element to the reaction to the most recent thing can help/hurt the next thing in line and I think we saw some of that with AM3 > GOTG3.  But if that were always true, then we have to be worried about how Loki will do since it's following Secret Invasion.  

If your reaction is that Loki will not be hurt by SI, then how will Loki effect The Marvels at all, good or bad?

6 hours ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

I've already made my case a bunch of times as to why that movie will need all the help it can, so I won't repeat myself here. I'll simply say that Nia's words were very poorly chosen here, promising a tone which the fans have been rejecting lately.

I think I remember more than a few people pondering if the relatively dour tone of the GOTG3 trailers and wondering how much impact that might have had on the opening?

11 minutes ago, ChipDerby said:

Which D+ shows were bad??? I know it's trendy to hate on them for some reason, but outside of Secret Invasion, they're all highly reviewed by critical and audiences. And the one that's not, it's pretty clear why.

From a writing standpoint, she hulk is the worse MCU project. Secret invasion writing isn’t so bad, but it kind of destroys the MCU’s worldbuilding 

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

28 minutes ago, TheFlatLannister said:

From a writing standpoint, she hulk is the worse MCU project. Secret invasion writing isn’t so bad, but it kind of destroys the MCU’s worldbuilding 

She-Hulk is literally top tier (MCU) television.

Edited by Deep Wang
not all tv, just MCU
  • Like 5
  • Knock It Off 1

51 minutes ago, ChipDerby said:

Which D+ shows were bad??? I know it's trendy to hate on them for some reason, but outside of Secret Invasion, they're all highly reviewed by critical and audiences. And the one that's not, it's pretty clear why.

For me personally, WV/What if.../She-Hulk were the only things that felt like they were actually trying to be a TV show.  

Everything else seemed to follow the 6 hour movie thing that I'm not a fan of.  I really liked Loki and liked Ms. Marvel/Hawkeye, but they could have been better.  Everything else is just blah.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

She-Hulk is literally top tier (MCU) television.

I know it was well liked show but top tier MCU show LMAO. It was servicable silly  comedy  at best.  It was a comedy for comedy reasons and by the finale itself it forgets about it giving its titular character a conclusion.