Eric is Anxious

The Marvels | November 10, 2023 | Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter

Raimi ruined the franchise is just ridiculous.

He is the only good thing about MOM. That Waldon script was bad.

It was after TLT ,that the whole narrative around  trajectory of the mCU started to change .

Gimmick is also taking it's course. Yeah they can steer the ship back with heavy hitters like F4 and X men.

But still  multiple storylines bringing heroes together defeat a big bad in the end even with a considerable chunk of good quality will have run it's course by phase 7-9 IMO . The whole gimmick will just not be as exciting to GA.

Audiences are starting to slowly  move on  from  CBMs. 

I think the problem with MOM is that it did not deliver what people were expecting. Was it a terrible movie? Absolutely not. Did it deliver what it promised or what fans/audiences were expecting after No Way Home? No. My biggest problem with the movie is how it completely ignored the events and Wanda's character arc in WandaVision. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, toutvabien said:

One thing's for sure; this will do $17.5M previews.

I would believe you in the summer. But now . Around 6 weeks to release. Presales haven't started but  chatter and buzz  around this  just  feels muted and it's definitely lower than guardians 3.

WOM rallied guardians 3 to a strong weekend multiplier otherwise it would have ended in a range around quantumania (106m) and that's a quite beloved franchise. If it had opened in 2022 would have been an easy 160M+ opener.

Not sure even marvels can get to 100m OW.  . It has the weakest buzz for all  MCU movie released  post NWH.

BW ,shang chi and eternals were definitely affected by covid to an extent.  But still BW had better buzz due to being the first phase 4 movie and the first MCU release in 2 years. 

Actors strike ain't helping either.

Right now thinking 12-15m. The rest is all up to WOM  IMO.

• Like 2

It is truly fascinating to see how peoples brains work. Like, outside of one single example in Alice In Wonderland 2, there are no others where a sequel to a $400 mil Domestic (or $1 bil WW) film fell this sharply. It never happens. Even the garbage JW:D film made over a billion.

Just wild to me seeing some of these predictions.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, AN9815 said:

I think the problem with MOM is that it did not deliver what people were expecting. Was it a terrible movie? Absolutely not. Did it deliver what it promised or what fans/audiences were expecting after No Way Home? No. My biggest problem with the movie is how it completely ignored the events and Wanda's character arc in WandaVision. 

It's weird that people keep saying MOM was like trh downfall for the MCU because it didn't have...enough outside cameos? Like people kept saying that it'd be what introduced mutants into the MCU (which they also did with WandaVision and it was bullshit then too)

To revive the CBM industry and save it from the laws of diminishing returns, They need a movie that's timeless.

A movie, where 10-15 years down the line, people will still flock to see in theaters like the Dark Knight.  

One gripe with tension, intensity, thrill, animosity, brooding conflict(s), an immense struggle, a great script with epic dialogue, a loud and compelling score. 

I recommend they start ripping off Greeko-Roman Epics. 

4 minutes ago, ChipDerby said:

It is truly fascinating to see how peoples brains work. Like, outside of one single example in Alice In Wonderland 2, there are no others where a sequel to a $400 mil Domestic (or $1 bil WW) film fell this sharply. It never happens. Even the garbage JW:D film made over a billion.

Just wild to me seeing some of these predictions.

Secret Life of Pets went from $369M to $158M (yes I know that's not $400m domestic but it's close enough)

17 minutes ago, HummingLemon said:

Secret Life of Pets went from $369M to $158M (yes I know that's not $400m domestic but it's close enough)

That’s a good recent example.

To me, it’s clear that it is rare for a sequel to drop so much in this day and age. Not impossible—just not likely. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Squire said:

That’s a good recent example.

To me, it’s clear that it is rare for a sequel to drop so much in this day and age. Not impossible—just not likely. 

Yes. 
The reasons for the sequel here to drop are real, but the math for some of these predictions is pretty unlikely given where CM landed. 
I’m not gonna get over it being lumped in with AM as a franchise. 

Edited by Mr Terrific

1 hour ago, SpiderByte said:

It's weird that people keep saying MOM was like trh downfall for the MCU because it didn't have...enough outside cameos? Like people kept saying that it'd be what introduced mutants into the MCU (which they also did with WandaVision and it was bullshit then too)

I don't think it was the downfall of the MCU nor that I wanted tons of cameos in it but people were definitely expecting something after No Way Home and WandaVision that was not delivered. Again, I don't think the movie is bad but I think if it would have been released before No Way Home people would have been more forgiving. 

7 minutes ago, AN9815 said:

I don't think it was the downfall of the MCU nor that I wanted tons of cameos in it but people were definitely expecting something after No Way Home and WandaVision that was not delivered. Again, I don't think the movie is bad but I think if it would have been released before No Way Home people would have been more forgiving. 

Releasing before NWH was the original plan. I think it would've been much better if that had worked out.

• Like 2