Eric Lasagna

The Marvels | November 10, 2023 | Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter

45 minutes ago, XXR's Eras Tour said:

Apart from the MCU, when was this ever a common thing for comic book films? Sure some films fit that target but the majority did not. And as for the MCU itself, even if The Marvels doesn’t get there they still had the last 7 movies hit over $100M OW.

Yes. The first 4 DCEU movies also pulled $100m+ openings. It was only after Justice League they stopped pulling them. The last 2 Dark Knight movies, 5 Sony Spider-Man movies, over 20 MCU movies have opened over $100m. It's been very common since the late 2000s

Edited by Bob Train
  • Like 2

I think the biggest thing is mainly going to be budgets scaled back. Less "everything is 200+" and more in the 150 range except proven hits like Avengers and X-Men etc. They talked about scaling back Disney+ from releasing so close to each other, so maybe more stuff like Echo where it's all at once. Maybe Disney+ is more animated stuff like 97 and Freshman Year 

I can't speak for DC since their situation changes basically every time their parent company gets bought but I don't think the MCU ends any time remotely soon. They're not just a brand name like Harry Potter for instance, they're a major studio division ala Pixar or Searchlight. As long as Feiges there it'll keep going, like no hard reboot and now it's Jai Courtney as Tony Stark. It'll be more of a directional change.

Edited by SpiderByte
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, eddyxx said:

I think we're headed back to what super hero movies did during the 2000's. When a 50m ow was a success and 90m was bonkers. We might get a few more real huge openings: deadpool3, secret wars if a certain 2 actors return for it , joker 2 might even be a dark horse and maybe the first x-men reboot if they pull it off but the days of super hero movies dominating are behind us.

I second this. I am expecting Cap 4, Thunderbolts, Aquaman 2, Blade to open in the 50m range.

Only CBM that have a unique style and vibe like Joker 2, Batman 2, and Spider-Verse 3 will be able to pull colossal opening anymore.

The days of CBMs with characters no one cares about pulling huge numbers just because society was on a CBM high are over.

The factory-made/generic style that most Marvel and DC movies have had in the last decade will be the downfall of the genre.

1 hour ago, XXR's Eras Tour said:

Apart from the MCU, when was this ever a common thing for comic book films? Sure some films fit that target but the majority did not. And as for the MCU itself, even if The Marvels doesn’t get there they still had the last 7 movies hit over $100M OW.

Did you sleep through the end of last decade? Basically every big cbm was cracking 100 OW. JL is one of the few that didn’t (Aquabro would have as a non-holiday release) 

27 minutes ago, Maggie said:

But you gotta admit, a domestic total UNDER the first one's OW would be a complete disaster. The fact thta some users are even thinking these numbers shows how much the brand is in trouble

For real lmao. Remember when Doctor Strange 2 did $90 million in its opening day alone? Now it would take a miracle for Marvels to do that in its entire opening weekend. One calendar year can do a SHIT ton of damage.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bob Train said:

I second this. I am expecting Cap 4, Thunderbolts, Aquaman 2, Blade to open in the 50m range.

I'm sorry I'm gonna need some evidence for "Cap 4 opening under Cap 1" beyond Evans. Historically even the lowest guessed for Marvels would be an exception, but assuming it's now the rule (especially before release) is kinda silly. A drop from Civil War makes sense since it's in all but name an Avengers movie, but that's way too steep.

Edited by SpiderByte

15 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

Only CBM that have a unique style and vibe like Joker 2, Batman 2, and Spider-Verse 3 will be able to pull colossal opening anymore.

The days of CBMs with characters no one cares about pulling huge numbers just because society was on a CBM high are over.

The factory-made/generic style that most Marvel and DC movies have had in the last decade will be the downfall of the genre.

Are you expecting $50m for Aquaman 2's 5-day? Or 3-day?

1 hour ago, Maggie said:

But you gotta admit, a domestic total UNDER the first one's OW would be a complete disaster. The fact thta some users are even thinking these numbers shows how much the brand is in trouble

Avengers franchise will be in trouble and all other movies whose box office depend on the Avengers hype will be in trouble if Captain Marvel has big lead role in next Avengers movies.

Edited by Willowra

3 hours ago, Maggie said:

And yet Loki is doing great numbers, even without promo due to the strike. So I don't think it's as simple as "this one did bad (or in this ones case, might do bad in the future), so all the rest are doomed to do bad too"

10 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

And yet Loki is doing great numbers, even without promo due to the strike. So I don't think it's as simple as "this one did bad (or in this ones case, might do bad in the future), so all the rest are doomed to do bad too"

MCU fanboys who hate Captain Marvel watching Loki because they are ignorant & delusional. They think MCU revolves around their favorite characters like Doctor Strange, Wanda Thor, Loki etc and characters like Captain Marvel & Ms. Marvel are irrelevant; they don't consider them Avengers & some don't even consider them part of MCU. Once they face reality, they would know how much they're interested in Avengers & overall MCU. 

• ...wtf 1

23 minutes ago, Willowra said:

MCU fanboys who hate Captain Marvel watching Loki because they are ignorant & delusional. They think MCU revolves around their favorite characters like Doctor Strange, Wanda Thor, Loki etc and characters like Captain Marvel & Ms. Marvel are irrelevant; they don't consider them Avengers & some don't even consider them part of MCU. Once they face reality, they would know how much they're interested in Avengers & overall MCU. 

Do you think fanboys are the main audience for Loki? I'm not so sure about that.

That said, I really doubt Disney/Marvel want these fanboys to face reality, since they don't want lost big numbers of audience in the MCU. So, Disney would need to discover how to not lost these fanboys (or a way to get bigger numbers of people to replace them).

Edited by Kon

5 minutes ago, Kon said:

Do you think fanboys are the main audience for Loki? I'm not so sure about that.

That said, I really doubt Disney/Marvel want these fanboys to face reality, since they don't want lost big numbers of audience in the MCU. So, Disney would need to discover how to not lost these fanboys (or a way to get bigger numbers of people to replace them).

Yes Disney don't want them to face reality & that's why we don't know who the leads are in next Avengers movies even after 4 years since Endgame. But for how long they can hide this? Those fanboys will definitely lose interest in Avengers movies if Captain Marvel has lead role in Avengers movies which is very likely. But this doesn't mean that they will lose those fanboys as they are interested in other popular characters like Deadpool, spiderman & captain america etc.

4 hours ago, eddyxx said:

I think we're headed back to what super hero movies did during the 2000's. When a 50m ow was a success and 90m was bonkers. We might get a few more real huge openings: deadpool3, secret wars if a certain 2 actors return for it , joker 2 might even be a dark horse and maybe the first x-men reboot if they pull it off but the days of super hero movies dominating are behind us.

I don't think McGuire and Garfield will be the main pull for that movie. We've seen them together with Holland on screen before. Not that the movie won't get hyped due to their presence, but Secret Wars will likely open huge regardlesss if they are there or not.

3 hours ago, Bob Train said:

I'll be really surprised if DP 3 does not pull a massive OW with all the rumors around that movie. 

4 hours ago, Bob Train said:

If this does happen this is a massive loss for theaters. Something needs to fill this gap. Only one Taylor Swift. Looking at how the summer was doing so poorly before Barbie/Oppy and post Barbie/Oppy we are right back to terrible weekends. Not to be doom and gloom but theaters need these comicbook movies to do well 

• Like 1