Eric Prime

The Marvels | November 10, 2023 | Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter

1 hour ago, TheFlatLannister said:

You aren't being serious...You really expect a movie with Hugh Jackman and Deadpool (who are finally in the MCU) to make the same amount as Thor Love and thunder? The FOX X-men in the MCU is a huge deal, that's why MoM made $450M OW without China because people expected X-men cameos (Charles Xavier etc) 

I think there are a lot of variables at play with DP3, especially moving into holiday if that is where it’s going. This is literally like the 4th time Hugh has played his “one more time!” card with the character, it remains to be seen if it’s a real draw at this point. Mostly, I think the movie lives or dies by reception. I think a huge underperformance would happen if reception is meh or worse. 

1 hour ago, MovieMan89 said:

I think there are a lot of variables at play with DP3, especially moving into holiday if that is where it’s going. This is literally like the 4th time Hugh has played his “one more time!” card with the character, it remains to be seen if it’s a real draw at this point. Mostly, I think the movie lives or dies by reception. I think a huge underperformance would happen if reception is meh or worse. 

Yeah idk, you can count me in the camp that Deadpool will be huge. This is the first time Hugh and Deadpool will be in the MCU which is a big deal for many Marvel fans. The Hugh Jackman announcement video on Reynold page has more views (on Youtube) than the official Aquaman trailer and isnt far off from Quantumania official trailer (I know these arent good metrics but its just to show how anticipated this could be) and I will never underestimate a MCU event film from getting butts into seats. A Holiday release would just be the cherry on the top. 

Other notable stats from the announcement: 412k likes on twitter from Hugh account and 633k likes from Ryan's account. Ryan's 2nd tweet more than doubles the likes of the MoM trailer on Twitter. The original announcement tweet from Ryan reynolds has 1.3M likes!!!! That's more than any MCU trailer I could find on twitter (Including Wakanda Forever, Endgame and NWH)

EDIT: Wakanda Forever is the most liked trailer ever on Twitter with 1.2M likes.  

Ryan's announcement wasn't even a trailer...

Edited by TheFlatLannister
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, ZattMurdock said:

I have no idea about how much it’s going to do on RT score. I am intrigued with Davis saying that there are surprises though. He doesn’t usually hype this kind of thing out of nowhere. It’s a pointless exercise to try and predict RT film scores, it fluctuates too much unlike videogames MC scores.

Davis works for fandango right? I dunno if hes ever seen a movie that he hasn't liked to put it mildly.

1 hour ago, Bob Train said:

Even if it gets good reviews, I do not see it passing Flash WW. Tracking seems to indicate $8m previews. The same IM as WF would get it to $52m. And the same legs as WF would get it to $130m DOM. And the same DOM/OS split as WF would get it to $246m WW. If reviews are excellent, then perhaps $260m would be achievable provided WOM is good. But over Flash seems a tough ask.

What is the reason for using wakanda forever numbers?

Moderation

@ZattMurdock has been threadbanned for 24 hours for personal attacks towards other users and making accusations against them. As a message to everybody, while I understand it can be frustrating to see people be negative on a movie you are excited about, please be respectful and courteous. You are allowed to disagree and argue with others, but you don't need to go into any insults or attacks or accusations. We are adults, so I expect people here to behave like adults. Thank you.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, TheFlatLannister said:

You aren't being serious...You really expect a movie with Hugh Jackman and Deadpool (who are finally in the MCU) to make the same amount as Thor Love and thunder? The FOX X-men in the MCU is a huge deal, that's why MoM made $450M OW without China because people expected X-men cameos (Charles Xavier etc) 

If it’s not well reviewed and the audience reception isn’t good it will make less than Thor’s 760m worldwide.
This movie is looking at an opening weekend below 70m. That would have sounded crazy 2 years ago. 
MoM opened so big because it came after No Way Home and featured Spider Man and the multiverse.

44 minutes ago, TheFlatLannister said:

Yeah idk, you can count me in the camp that Deadpool will be huge. This is the first time Hugh and Deadpool will be in the MCU which is a big deal for many Marvel fans. The Hugh Jackman announcement video on Reynold page has more views (on Youtube) than the official Aquaman trailer and isnt far off from Quantumania official trailer (I know these arent good metrics but its just to show how anticipated this could be) and I will never underestimate a MCU event film from getting butts into seats. A Holiday release would just be the cherry on the top. 

Other notable stats from the announcement: 412k likes on twitter from Hugh account and 633k likes from Ryan's account. Ryan's 2nd tweet more than doubles the likes of the MoM trailer on Twitter. The original announcement tweet from Ryan reynolds has 1.3M likes!!!! That more than any MCU trailer I could find on twitter (Including Wakanda Forever, Endgame and NWH) 

https://x.com/MarvelStudios/status/1493000178269179906?s=2

https://x.com/VancityReynolds/status/1575101936700772355?s=20 

https://x.com/VancityReynolds/status/1574865217141481477?s=20 

On the other hand, all of this really seems like it's going to dilute the special appeal of Secret Wars.

42 minutes ago, Reed121 said:

If it’s not well reviewed and the audience reception isn’t good it will make less than Thor’s 760m worldwide.
This movie is looking at an opening weekend below 70m. That would have sounded crazy 2 years ago. 
MoM opened so big because it came after No Way Home and featured Spider Man and the multiverse.

Knock It Off

If the movie is bad I could see $800M, but $70M OW??? How would a poorly received MCU event film make so much less than a poorly received Antman film? There is no evidence to suggest Deadpool 3 will open like The Marvels, and lots of early data to suggest it will open big. 

MoM did partially ride off the coattails of NWH but that was far from the only reason it opened so big. They teased professor Xavier in the trailers and many fans thought their would be other big name cameos (X-men and others)

This movie is tracking low. If it's good, Disney needs to lift the embargo earlier, so they can boost people's confidence. Unless of course, the movie sucks and Disney has no faith in it, which is a very high possibility.

Fact is: This movie needs something, anything, whatever thing. It's amazing how the studio is doing nothing at all to promote this thing.

They could do the same thing they did with GOTG 3, by slowly building confidence through screenings for fans / critics long before the main release.

20 hours ago, ZattMurdock said:

The Marvels whole marketing is very much so about how girly it is. I mean I’m not sure what to say to you:

Didn't Samuel L. Jackson give this exact same line reading in the trailer for the first Avengers movie? His line reading was different in the film I think but its interesting that they have him saying a cliche line from a 11 year old movie.

Just now, HummingLemon496 said:

It also would've been destroyed by Barbie + Oppenheimer. Even Reddit's baby MI7 got killed by those two. 

That movie (3hr + wasn't anywhere as good as critics said) also nearly made $600M because the summer provides for some awesome weekday legs, while also having the benefit of a much better economic environment than post-September. 

5 hours ago, Valencia said:

Yikes.

Can’t use actors to promote it, presale are bad, and lifting reviews as late as possible to make sure the opening weekend is a big as can be.

Does this movie have anything going for it?

marvel has given the movie a very short runtime to ensure many showtimes.

Edited by eddyxx

Been trying to stay positive for this and the non stop negativity about it has really irked me even though it has one of my least anticipated MCU movies but yeah they are not doing any favors with the late embargo. With the weak presales and tracking they are really leaving this to out to die it seems.