The Wild Eric

The Marvels | November 10, 2023 | Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter

36 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

I don’t think it’ll go rotten 

It actually looks fun. One thing that is usually good about saturated gentes is that some movies can be a bit different than the huge succesful ones.

I think The Flash was pretty decent in how it feels like an emotionally honest 00’s SH movie, and The Marvels does look similar to that energy. 

Still, fun is not enough anymore for most critics. I think 65-70% can happen here if it’s not awfully made, but that honestly won’t change it’s fate.

Most people are used to Marvel getting 90% even for average movies so now even something solid like 70% is perceived as bad reception. Just remember how social media gone crazy about DS2 getting a super acceptable 75%.

yeah it might be “fun” in the way Thor Love and Thunder was “fun” (which eked out a fresh) but I think audiences are getting tired of that and that’s one of the reasons this is tracking badly 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, John Marston said:

yeah it might be “fun” in the way Thor Love and Thunder was “fun” (which eked out a fresh) but I think audiences are getting tired of that and that’s one of the reasons this is tracking badly 

Thor Love & Thunder wasn't fun, it was obnoxious and cringe.

• Like 6

The way people talk about Love and Thunder's mixed reviews as if they are great is funny to me. People who hate the film are like, I can't believe Love and Thunder got such great reviews. Meanwhile It's RT score is 63% for all critics and 51% for top critics with a 6.4 and 6.3 grade respectively. The Metacritic score is 57. Not terrible ratings and a chunk of critics did love it driving the overall score up but the reviews are not great overall. They are very mixed. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

The way people talk about Love and Thunder's mixed reviews as if they are great is funny to me. People who hate the film are like, I can't believe Love and Thunder got such great reviews. Meanwhile It's RT score is 63% for all critics and 51% for top critics with a 6.4 and 6.3 grade respectively. The Metacritic score is 57. Not terrible ratings and a chunk of critics did love it driving the overall score up but the reviews are not great overall. They are very mixed. 

It's the worst reviewed Thor movie.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, John Marston said:

I'll add that Quantumania was marketed as a tonal course correction, and that's why it was tracking pretty well up until the reactions and reviews started to appear.

1 hour ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

I'll add that Quantumania was marketed as a tonal course correction, and that's why it was tracking pretty well up until the reactions and reviews started to appear.

Quantumania is a really sad one. Despite what Reddit thinks, Kang absolutely DID help Quantumania. It was on literally track for a potential $150M debut until reviews came but even then it still did $106M. A normal Ant-Man movie with this dogshit reception would've opened to like $60m 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Wouldn't that movie be more evidence that a "tonal correction" isn't actually the solution

7 hours ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

People don’t seem to understand what a RT score actually is for some reason.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, DInky said:

Thor Love & Thunder wasn't fun, it was obnoxious and cringe.

Yeah, speaking as someone who actually mostly liked it (at least it wasn't mostly forgettable like the second one), it felt so fucking forced in some places. The humor that hit effortlessly in Ragnarok(by far one of the best MCU movies imo) just felt sometimes too self-indigent and sometimes too juvenile for what was actually happening on screen.

It was a weird tone, it felt like half the people working in it got burned out somewhere along the way, which tracks with what we've heard about it I guess, especially regarding Taika.

I also felt like he really hated having to work in the Guardians in his movie.

I can't see this movie having such a weird tone, if it gets bad reviews it will be for something else.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, HummingLemon496 said:

Quantumania is a really sad one. Despite what Reddit thinks, Kang absolutely DID help Quantumania. It was on literally track for a potential $150M debut until reviews came but even then it still did $106M. A normal Ant-Man movie with this dogshit reception would've opened to like $60m 

Kang probably helped in that the promise of seeing the next big bad introduced probably intrigued people, especially the fanbase.

IT also had rather epic looking trailers. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Kang probably helped in that the promise of seeing the next big bad introduced probably intrigued people, especially the fanbase.

The trailer sold a much more epic and serious movie than what we actually got.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, John Marston said:

The trailers implying Kang was gonna manipulate Scott into a deal of getting the time back that he lost with his Cassie if he helped him is way more interesting than the father-daughter conflict being... that he's not actively saving people and that he cares about keeping his family out of danger post-Thanos. It would have also been a nice parallel to him manipulating Janet back then into a deal that would get her back to Hope. But nooo, Reed and Loveness had to make a silly little romp about the Quantum Realm people starting a revolution and no one telling anyone anything, especially Janet to her husband and daughter. Plus everyone just teasing Kang and how evil he is for half the movie.

Edited by toutvabien
  • Like 3

39 minutes ago, toutvabien said:

The trailers implying Kang was gonna manipulate Scott into a deal of getting the time back that he lost with his Cassie if he helped him is way more interesting than the father-daughter conflict being... that he's not actively saving people and that he cares about keeping his family out of danger post-Thanos. It would have also been a nice parallel to him manipulating Janet back then into a deal that would get her back to Hope. But nooo, Reed and Loveness had to make a silly little romp about the Quantum Realm people starting a revolution and no one telling anyone anything, especially Janet to her husband and daughter. Plus everyone just teasing Kang and how evil he is for half the movie.

That was just crazy. The trailer made it seem like there would be real dramatic stakes and that Scott might fail to make the right choice. In other words, they promised compelling character drama and none of it was in the actual movie.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, John Marston said:

I think audiences are getting bored of MCU films that just seem silly and pointless and want something more cool or interesting., 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, DInky said:

That was just crazy. The trailer made it seem like there would be real dramatic stakes and that Scott might fail to make the right choice. In other words, they promised compelling character drama and none of it was in the actual movie.

Not just drama, but an actual character arc! Even the milquetoast "Scott doesn't help the little people anymore" stuff has no actual resolution in the movie. He never decides to help the quantum realm people, he's only in the final battle to save Cassie.

It is truly a tonally bizarre film. Cassie telling the man who terrorized her as a child and who's been trying to kill her and her family for most of the film to stop being a dick is next level strange.

7 minutes ago, ZeroHour said:

Not just drama, but an actual character arc! Even the milquetoast "Scott doesn't help the little people anymore" stuff has no actual resolution in the movie. He never decides to help the quantum realm people, he's only in the final battle to save Cassie.

It is truly a tonally bizarre film. Cassie telling the man who terrorized her as a child and who's been trying to kill her and her family for most of the film to stop being a dick is next level strange.

I barely even watch Rick & Morty but that sounds like something that the Rick & Morty writers would write. 

• Like 3