Eric Lasagna

The Marvels | November 10, 2023 | Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter

1 hour ago, ThomasNicole said:

Yeah, i think all the connections they’re forcing with Avengers and the “only the beginning” slogan is promising something the movie doesn’t look even interesting in doing. 

This can lead to very bad WOM is somewhat people go watch it expecting a super relevant movie in the grand scheme of MCU.

good thing it is then 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TommyOliver said:
  Hide contents

They got the X-Men in this? Lol

Spoiler

that's the postcredit. You can see the x men logo clearly for a second in the scene of monica interacting with binary( who is not showing her face but has the comic accurate binary suit) from the trailer 

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

1 hour ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

Not going to open near $40M but man, that's seemingly setting the film up for a hell of a dropoff/poor word of mouth.

But it probably is opening at or under $40M

Like I’m not even trying to pile on it, but Thursday comps are absolutely crashing to $6M Thurs or lower. IM math from there does not get you above $45M. The writing’s on the wall here imo and that final trailer is not moving the needle. 

• Like 1
  • Disbelief 1

26 minutes ago, Relevation said:

Like I’m not even trying to pile on it, but Thursday comps are absolutely crashing to $6M Thurs or lower. IM math from there does not get you above $45M. The writing’s on the wall here imo and that final trailer is not moving the needle. 

5.5*6.5*2.5 = $90M total. Take it or leave it

Tracking for this was chaotic as shit but we basically all knew it was gonna bomb the day pre-sales started. Even before some people knew it was gonna be the lowest MCU opening ever or even $40M (shoutout to @TheFlatLannister for getting it right). 

Tracking for Aquaman is gonna be an even bigger shitshow. Like if it's tracking poorly it's just gonna be a war between people saying "oh my god it's doomed" and  "don't worry, positive word of mouth and Christmas legs will save it" (and people will inevitably bring up Puss in Boots as an example)

Edited by HummingLemon496
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Relevation said:

I guess "final trailer moving the needle" is the question. Given (1) the large side of mainstream audience with some inherent interest in the MCU and (2) The Rock's now seemingly successful Superman gambit, I just suspect this might be more successful in stopping decline in tracking than you do even if it's not going to change the game. 

There's definitely a chance this just doesn't line up with nuts and bolts math of how presales move at this point. 

24 minutes ago, fede75 said:

probably they didn't did that because of this https://twitter.com/AlexFromCC/status/1721636231518273763

Also, this could be 200% wrong but I got the sense from earlier trailers that they were running up against a wall with what action-y set pieces were available to showcase. Disney's clearly not abandoning Marvels to flop and money really is helpful. 

28 minutes ago, fede75 said:

probably they didn't did that because of this https://twitter.com/AlexFromCC/status/1721636231518273763

I'm not sure if I buy that to be honest. At best he's referring to both projects involving the multiverse in some form. Otherwise, it's more so that Loki is being used as a airbag when The Marvels bombs.