Eric Lasagna

The Marvels | November 10, 2023 | Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter

2 minutes ago, Hypercortical said:

I'm not seeing where the sense of a 70-79 is coming from. I'm still only seeing positive. Even the person. Who said it was "objectively trash" said they liked it. 

(Personally I hate when people call something they like "objectively bad". It's dumb)

What are you expecting 85%+ or something? 

A disappointing opening seems like foregone conclusion at this point but if reviews/WOM are positive then there's no reason why it can't find staying power over the holidays, especially when it's going to be around until mid-December looking at the schedule and this being one of the lightest holiday slates in (2020 aside) years with no Star Wars/Spider-Man/Avatar-style titans anywhere in sight.

• Like 1

Well, it would have been a bad sign if Erik didn't like it, tbf! :lol: 

I'm not seeing where the sense of a 70-79 is coming from. I'm still only seeing positive. Even the person. Who said it was "objectively trash" said they liked it. 

Generally reactions out of World Premieres are super super positive for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is crowd energy and buzz.  Plus selection bias (corp invites people it thinks will be predisposed to liking it).

So to see any hesitation or mention of things that didn't work are red flags for reviewers who will be harsher in the coming days.

Like, the line "The movie's plot and villain are sometimes lacking, and certain VFX shots are iffy," is an instant flag to me that at least some critics won't be kind to this film.  At the same time, the tenor and tone of the reactions does suggest a fresh score.

But all of this is tea leaf reading.  We've been shocked before by much worse RT scores than premiere reactions would suggest, and surprised by better ones as well.  And since it is tea leaf reading, it's all subjective fun and games anyway.  At least until the Blood Sport of the RT watch begins in earnest tomorrow. 😉 

• Like 2

MOVIO Presale tracking (end of the behind the numbers podcast episode for Priscila). Mentioning age/gender/moviegoing status splits not raw numbers (which they don't mention)

audience composition (the marvels v Captain Marvel) -

Occasional/infrequent = 59% versus 67% 

GROUP size - 23% v 28% groups of 3+ 

Age/Gender

higher 25-44 category

"35-44 is 5 points higher than CM"

"Male 25-44 is pretty strong" 

So really looks like it's getting "generic CBM audience" and failing to branch out to new demos.

Edited by PlatnumRoyce

10 minutes ago, HummingLemon496 said:

So if this gets good reviews and still flops it can end this "it's not superhero fatigue, it's only BAD superhero fatigue" argument

And I'm guessing it'll get a 75%-80% on RT

if it still flop, the cause would probably be the conection to the series instead of the superhero fatigue 

5 minutes ago, The GOAT said:

Perhaps, they feel sympathetic that this film will be murked by the endless onslaught of the video essay bros. And that's why they're more lenient in their judgement. 

Critics are well known for being sharks in the water when they smell blood though.  Gonna be all too easy for them to pounce on this if the whim strikes.  So this reasoning can easily cut the other way.

Really will have to see which way the weather vane turns tomorrow.

Though, as a Lover of Chaos, The Marvels getting Unexpectedly Good/Better Than Expected Reviews throws a terrific monkey wrench into the whole proceedings, so it's something I'm personally rooting for. 👍

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TheFlatLannister said:

idk people on reddit are doomposting and expecting a rotten score...Maybe we are missing something? A fresh score may not be a given 

Idk if it’s been posted here yet but they’re saying audience scores in Korea are lower than Ant Man 3

1 minute ago, Porthos said:

Critics are well known for being sharks in the water when they smell blood though.  Gonna be all too easy for them to pounce on this if the whim strikes.  So this reasoning can easily cut the other way.

bloggers arent critics