Eric is Quiet

The Marvels | November 10, 2023 | Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter

10 minutes ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

Does bridging content like that count? Hemsworth had a six film contract yet appeared in Doctor Strange 1 (a seventh film). I suspect this is handled differently (or at least 1-2 of such cameos are contractually obligated [/obligated while on set filming another MCU film]) so I think it's 3 down/4 left with the remaining 4 presumably being 2 Avengers films, a third CM film and ???

Hemsworth's scene in Doctor Strange was taken from Ragnarok though. Just like the scene featuring Brie from The Marvels at the end of Ms. Marvel. The mid-credits scene in Shang-Chi featuring Carol was completely new footage shot for that movie so it probably counts as an appearance..

Edited by DInky
  • Like 1

(kinda sorta spoilery, if you're real sensitive about that stuff)
this review:
The Marvels review: There’s still some magic left in the MCU - Vox

...has me really excited, because it's literally the only review I've seen that discusses some thematic elements that I predicted would be in the film. All the other positive and negative reviews alike have had me worried that Nia DaCosta just somehow managed to not explore these ideas in the film. The worst reviews treat the film as entirely vapid and soulless. The best reviews treat the film as a rollercoaster full of cute/funny moments. 

Not sure what MS do with Brie's existing contract. Captain Marvel is a dead brand, they would've had a leg to stand on if this was well received but sub-300M + B range cinemascore means there's pretty much nothing they can do to save it, the few mega-fans who gave this film a chance and disliked it will not be back for a sequel.

Edited by judestar619

1 minute ago, judestar619 said:

Not sure what MS do with Brie's existing contract. Captain Marvel is a dead brand, they would've had a leg to stand on if this was well received but sub-300M + B range cinemascore means there's pretty much nothing they can do to save it, the few mega-fans who gave this film a chance and disliked it will not be back for a sequel.

She’ll just be a cameo only character until she dies or gets her powers sucked out by Rogue.

14 minutes ago, judestar619 said:

She will probably still have a significant role in the Kang Dynasty and Secret Wars.

17 minutes ago, Hypercortical said:

(kinda sorta spoilery, if you're real sensitive about that stuff)
this review:
The Marvels review: There’s still some magic left in the MCU - Vox

...has me really excited, because it's literally the only review I've seen that discusses some thematic elements that I predicted would be in the film. All the other positive and negative reviews alike have had me worried that Nia DaCosta just somehow managed to not explore these ideas in the film. The worst reviews treat the film as entirely vapid and soulless. The best reviews treat the film as a rollercoaster full of cute/funny moments. 

People aren't talking about it because they clearly gutted this stuff to get down to a 100m runtime. They really pushed forward the "big reveal" about 

Spoiler

hela/kree homeworld

and just randomly appear in a field 2/3rds of the way through the film where they paper over version of what was clearly intended to be a big revelation/confrontation. 

• Like 1

No spoilers just seen the movie, there were like ten people in the theater. Funny film. You could tell at least 40-50 minutes was cut off, it's very poorly editted. Pacing is also meh. The villain is SO cardboard cutout, it's not even funny. No depth at all to that character.

I'd give it a 6 out of 10, Kamala and Goose were MVP's.

1 hour ago, DInky said:

Because they need a cast of characters for an Avengers film? It's not like they have tons of more popular options.

They do though. I think Captain Marvel will play a role that’s larger than a cameo. But Dr. Strange, Wanda, Spiderman, Star Lord, Thor, Hulk, Loki, and Bucky are all more popular characters that could be on this team. Even newcomers like Shang-Chi and Yelena are probably better bets at this point going by this metric. 

5 hours ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

and just randomly appear in a field 2/3rds of the way through the film where they paper over version of what was clearly intended to be a big revelation/confrontation. 

the ease of teleporting around different settings just makes the whole thing feel weightless to me. It could just be the territory of the genre. These movies in general are far too slick and frictionless, and it’s a big part of why I never watched them. (Only watched this one because I grew fascinated by the box office bomb discourse)

1 hour ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Hearing that the villain sucked is not shocking to me. They barely marketed her and she looks like just another Ronan and he sucked too. 

Yeah. I don’t mind the idea of the villain who suffered from CM’s activity in the first film. I don’t like the execution that much. The sloppy cgi was the biggest sin personally. 

I think the movie is ok if you shut your brain off and don’t care too much about the wider universe. It’s shooting for a younger demo. Definitely not the worst CBM out there, but its unfortunate placement means it’s paying for the sins of its predecessors. Plus the lack of strong target audience. 

I thought Cap’n Marvel had slightly more verve and flaws than people made her sound, though maybe I’m misinterpreting what they mean. I preferred her scenes to most of the other characters’. 

Edited by Hecking Nidorino