Eric S'ennui

The Marvels | November 10, 2023 | Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter

22 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I suspect if they open it, it'll lead to a load of bans.

i'm not sure tbh. Seems like it's in a stage of apathy right now. The fact that the previews numbers aren't much different than what's been tracking is proof of that. I think most of the hate wave has already passed

Edited by elothar
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Seeing people on here trying to downplay the sequel to a 1.1 billion dollar Marvel film flopping is interesting. "It's just like Shazam 2." No it isn't because Shazam 2 wasn't following up a billion dollar film. 

Yeah even if CM was pre-inflated by Endgame hype, it shows a significant amount of interest lost in Captain Marvel as a character, the MCU as a franchise, and a general feeling of apathy towards that first film.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Seeing people on here trying to downplay the sequel to a 1.1 billion dollar Marvel film flopping is interesting. "It's just like Shazam 2." No it isn't because Shazam 2 wasn't following up a billion dollar film. 

Would "It's just like Alice Through the Looking Glass" be better for you?

You clearly want a song and dance. Did you give Alice Through the Looking Glass a song and dance?

Presumably not really because contextually it wasn't really surprising and had been expected for a while. Just as this contextually isn't really surprising and has been expected for a while.

4 minutes ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

You clearly want a song and dance. Did you give Alice Through the Looking Glass a song and dance?

Presumably not really because contextually it wasn't really surprising and had been expected for a while. Just as this contextually isn't really surprising and has been expected for a while.

Everyone mostly agreed "this was mostly a crazy 3-D effect in 2011" while the same isn't really true of Captain Marvel. 4

For a while

Sure, but that while is literally just after weeks of presale tracking. This wasn't on people's radars before this in a way that I don't think would have been true qualitatively of Alice 2/Wrath of Titans. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

Just because the Marvels was expected to flop (once presales

started) doesn’t downplay its failure. The MCU is a brand and franchise unto itself. We just saw Guardians 3 make about as much as its predecessor. Clearly audiences had interest in that movie and those characters. 

With the Marvels, it’s pretty obvious audiences aren’t interested in the character(s). It goes beyond so-called “Marvel fatigue.” 

Edited by Squire
  • Like 1

I'm being honest. Weekend is already here. The thread should be unlocked.

Those who don't play by the rules, shall pay by not playing by the rules. This should happen to every person who violates the terms of use. By keeping a thread locked, then every thread also should be locked, which is unfair.

So, release the Kraken! Whoever breaks the rules, there'll be consequences. I think that should be enough. Love and peace always,folks! :)

18 minutes ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

Everyone mostly agreed "this was mostly a crazy 3-D effect in 2011" while the same isn't really true of Captain Marvel. 4

Sure, but that while is literally just after weeks of presale tracking. This wasn't on people's radars before this in a way that I don't think would have been true qualitatively of Alice 2/Wrath of Titans. 

To be fair, Captain Marvel was likely boosted a lot for it being the movie before Endgame (not to mention the post-credit scene on Infinity War). The first MCU with a female lead likely helped too.

I think even before the presale tracking people could notice there was a lack of interest on Captain Marvel.

However, there was a bit of denial. This was partly because people didn't believe the MCU brand power would be so low (and partly because people want to oppose haters).

Edited by Kon
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

The first Captain Marvel was an aggressive average superhero flick.

The Marvels …. Never thought about a movie this way that I just caught in theaters before…. But the Marvels deserves some Razzies.

Seeing is believing. I recommend all the naysayers to buy a ticket to find out.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I have noticed that films that seem to be promoting a certain positive message around Them  are never called flops even if they flop by some.

its cause I feel if they are called flops it will take away from the positive message or something. 

I am deriding the message or anything.

Edited by Torontofan

51 minutes ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

Yes I gave Alice Through the Looking Glass a song and dance because it had an unprecedentedly horrible drop.