Eric Prime

The Marvels | November 10, 2023 | Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter

29 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

Yup this is not fault of CM when that character is the only one selling whatever we are seeing

Major complain from first look was why is Captain Marvel not the lead , everyone took it as offense but we can see the results now. 

Now they are trying hard to promote this movie CM led.

I mean, you can also blame the other two characters for their lack of popularity, that wouldn't change Captain Marvel's popularity doesn't seem to be enough to get a really good box office (without Infinity War promotion).

I've remember people were dissapointed about the change of name because Captain Marvel haters would use that against the character. I don't really remember dislike for the concept.

Edited by Kon

30 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Sigh. Hating a character generates talk and that's better than complete indifference which greeted the other 2 Marvel girls. Ragetubers didn't bother to watch Ms Marvel even to shit on it every week, something they did with She-Hulk and Rings of Power (hence decent viewership for those shows - hate watch is still a watch and Nielsen picks up on it).

Also, blaming Ms Marvel and Secret Invasion flops on CM makes no sense cause CM wasn't a prominent character in either. So a brand new character not intended for Marvel's usual audience (that skews male) is CM fangirl =/= Hulk's and Daredevil's presence on She Hulk that boosted that show's numbers. Likewise, Secret Invasion didn't have CM but Nick Fury himself a popular character so I dunno maybe blame him? Maybe some characters work better as supporting? Or maybe the story sucked and he couldn't save it. Either way, very little to do with CM. yes, they may be spun off CM but she wans't there to make it clear that both were directly connected to her.

A large number of mcu fans can't stand Captain Marvel & so they aren't interested in anything related to Captain Marvel; they clearly knew that Ms. Marvel is a character who idolize captain marvel, they clearly knew skrulls were/are part of Captain Marvel storyline and thats why they didn't watch these shows. This is the reality. And at present I'm only saying a "large number of fans" but if The Marvels does less than 300m or even 350m then it would confirm that majority of MCU fans hate Captain Marvel & can't stand her. No studio wants to go in lose & in such a scenario her journey in MCU will be over & if she leads Avengers movies(because of her already made contract with marvel studios) it will meet the same fate as The Marvels.

Edited by Willowra

9 minutes ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

Are we talking about CM the character or CM the movie? Nick Fury is a significant part of "Captain Marvel" as seen by the first movie and secret invasion.

CM character cause some argue that bombage of those 2 shows proves that the character isn't liked. 

23 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

CM character cause some argue that bombage of those 2 shows proves that the character isn't liked. 

I don't think Captain Marvel should be held responsible for Ms. Marvel and Secret Invasion since both series are pretty independent (especially Secret Invasion).

That said, if The Marvels is a failure, that would fall on Captain Marvel lack of popularity. In fact, it should be on the three leads, but you can't really count with the other two leads when it's about popularity.

Edited by Kon

21 minutes ago, Willowra said:

A large number of mcu fans can't stand Captain Marvel & so they aren't interested in anything related to Captain Marvel; they clearly knew that Ms. Marvel is a character who idolize captain marvel, they clearly knew skrulls were/are part of Captain Marvel storyline and thats why they didn't watch these shows. This is the reality. And at present I'm only saying a "large number of fans" but if The Marvels does less than 300m or even 350m then it would confirm that majority of MCU fans hate Captain Marvel & can't stand her. No studio wants to go in lose & in such a scenario her journey in MCU will be over & if she leads Avengers movies(because of her already made contract with marvel studios) it will meet the same fate as The Marvels.

And I really hope that Brie Larson leaves this franchise because such a fandom doesn't deserve talent like her, where thinking is so backward.

• Haha 1

The simplest answer remains that the movie that literally broke capacity constraints aided by fantastic marketing greatly impacted an average-y movie's box office run that overlapped with it and had great marketing movies to tie the films directly together. However, it's been over 4 years since CM1 came out and the MCU is in a much weaker position. 

I still can't believe how they thought changing the title from Captain Marvel 2 to The Marvels was a good idea. 

They had a 900M+ movie on their hands if they had made CM 2 into Captain Marvel: Secret Invasion, but no, they wasted the storyline by making a shitty show and wasting CM's sequel to link it into a show that nobody watched (Ms Marvel). 💀

Edited by andersonhoran
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Why does everyone keep saying this. There are no Avengers right now. Why does everyone assume Brie Larson is the lead of Kang Dynasty?

Bc she's the leader of the Avengers in the comics right now? and she carries the name CAPTAIN?

Edited by andersonhoran

The problem here is not many people were asking for a sequel to Captain Marvel. Audiences don't like deceptive marketing, (see: The Devil Inside). Audiences were misled by the first movie's marketing (which implied Captain Marvel would be a pivotal character in the MCU) so presales being shockingly low is to be expected I guess.

44 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

I really don't think the title matters quite that much. It's not like Carol hasn't been in the marketing.

I agree. The promotion is pretty clear about Carol being the lead of this movie.

Honestly, this idea about the change of name negatively affecting the reception seems mainly an excuse. 

Edited by Kon

5 hours ago, Kon said:

I really doubt most people wouldn't know that a movie called The Marvels is a sequel to Captain Marvel. Not to mention that the promotion is clearly focusing on Carol.

As I said, I think the decision to change the name was because Marvel didn't trust on Captain Marvel's popularity.

Which is weird because even if they didn't trust her popularity, the other two characters are even less popular.

See i didn't like Captain Marvel the movie, nor do i have any love for the character, but it definitely Should've been Captain Marvel 2. 

• Like 1