Eric the IF

The Marvels | November 10, 2023 | Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter

1 minute ago, ZattMurdock said:

Today @Zakiyyah6 said that he couldn’t imagine people wanting Marvel Studios to release early reviews. Then now Erik Davis shows up apparently giddy about The Marvels saying that reactions are apparently coming Nov 7 with reviews Nov 8 and now rumors they heard online the prognostic is that the film isn’t good.

You know, that is odd...

1 minute ago, SpiderByte said:

God it'll be hysterical of the reviews are not as disastrous as you all are predicting

Maybe they are good, but the point here is Disney is very scared. They know if RT tanks for this and people can see that for a bit before release, they would probably have a Blue Beetle level gross. 

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

Maybe they are good, but the point here is Disney is very scared. They know if RT tanks for this and people can see that for a bit before release, they would probably have a Blue Beetle level gross. 

We don’t know what the strategy is here. We don’t even know if that’s the date the review embargo lifts as of yet. I think Marvel is on waiting mode this week to see if the deal goes through and schedule the premiere. It’s clearly not optional, but Davis usually gets access to early screenings because of Fandango and he doesn’t seem all doom and gloom on it. The problem of being doom and gloom all the time on this thread is that even if the films opened beyond expectations, people here would still find an angle to say it’s not that great really.

Looking at Erik’s tweet itself, this seems like good news to me.

I'm not a soothsayer, I have no idea whether critics will like it or not. I think I predicted like a 64% RT rating but I obviously don't know. Maybe Marvel are terrified for no reason? That has happened before. Marvel sequels don't have a good track record of getting better RT scores than their original films. Winter Soldier did it but very few do. They mostly drop around 10 or so points.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

wtf. previews 2 days before. reviews the day before.

that john carter club is looking appealing rn.

Thanks for the shoutout! If you all want to join the club, now is a great time! Those interested should do so before the movie opens!

Edited by BadOlCatSylvester

Just now, Zakiyyah6 said:

I'm not a soothsayer, I have no idea whether critics will like it or not. I think I predicted like a 64% RT rating but I obviously don't know. Maybe Marvel are terrified for no reason? That has happened before. Marvel sequels don't have a good track record of getting better RT scores than their original films. Winter Soldier did it but very few do. They mostly drop around 10 or so points.

Maybe Marvel is not terrified and people on this thread are absolutely nuts and assuming that the sky is falling since the thread started? I don’t know, just a thought.

Just now, ZattMurdock said:

Maybe Marvel is not terrified and people on this thread are absolutely nuts and assuming that the sky is falling since the thread started? I don’t know, just a thought.

If you were around, I bet you did this same song and dance for Quantumania. "Nothing to see here folks" is just as nuts as "the sky is falling." Especially when their is proof that the pre-sales aren't doing well so far. 

• Like 1

Just now, Zakiyyah6 said:

If you were around, I bet you did this same song and dance for Quantumania. "Nothing to see here folks" is just as nuts as "the sky is falling." Especially when their is proof that the pre-sales aren't doing well so far. 

I didn’t. And Quantumania opened above expectations, even for me iirc. It fell from a cliff later. This just proves that clearly there is no discussion here, just Marvel = bad.

1 minute ago, ZattMurdock said:

I didn’t. And Quantumania opened above expectations, even for me iirc. It fell from a cliff later. This just proves that clearly there is no discussion here, just Marvel = bad.

Quantumania had terrible word of mouth and was a huge disappointment. I agree there is no discussion because you think that any criticism or discussion that isn't 100% glowing about the MCU equals Marvel Bad. I won't right now because I am lazy but I can literally link you to my Letterboxd account and you would see that I have given most Marvel movies decent to good reviews. Sorry that I think Feige is dropping the ball lately. Sorry that I have decent expectations for a franchise that I like. 

2 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

I think it will get good reviews, but still bomb. I can't remember the last MCU movie that had this little hype.

Reviews won't matter for this film. The majority has already made up their minds, whether to see or not see it.

1 hour ago, TheFlatLannister said:

The Marvels isn't a good benchmark for MCU fatigue tbh. Many knew this was going to decrease a lot from Captain Marvel for several reasons. Even before any tracking, the most bullish prediction I saw were below Quantumania. Deadpool's performance is going to be a much better metric. 

Deadpool night be seen as different than from Marvel and the MCU tbh. Like how Joker and Batman are looked.on separately and do well while other DCU projects fail