The Wild Eric

The Marvels | November 10, 2023 | Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter

13 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

Nah they’ll just move Cap4 back to that date. It already finished filming this year.

So this is on a somewhat unrelated note, I remember that some Twitter insiders were saying that the ADR was never finished for the marvels before the strike began so I started wondering if it was possible for Disney to do the ADR with AI? You can use AI to make perfect mimicks of people’s voices and it probably wouldn’t even be noticeable. Does anyone else think it’s possible? After all they already used AI to make a opening credits sequence for Secret Invasion.

Deadline said Cap 4 getting moved up to May was a "longshot". I am not sure it will happen because the timeline would need to be very rushed, and they probably still need to reshoot parts of it.

18 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

Nah they’ll just move Cap4 back to that date. It already finished filming this year.

So this is on a somewhat unrelated note, I remember that some Twitter insiders were saying that the ADR was never finished for the marvels before the strike began so I started wondering if it was possible for Disney to do the ADR with AI? You can use AI to make perfect mimicks of people’s voices and it probably wouldn’t even be noticeable. Does anyone else think it’s possible? After all they already used AI to make a opening credits sequence for Secret Invasion.

I'm pretty sure if they did that it would cause a PR mess, particularly with SAG-AFTRA negotiations ongoing. So even if it's possible I doubt they'd do that.

Edited by AMC Theaters Enjoyer
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, eddyxx said:

Erm…wasn’t there dialogue in one of these movies where Spidey asks Nick Fury to call Thor or Captain Marvel(maybe it was Strange?) and he’s like they’re busy. Also the scene at the end of Shang Chi seemed to imply there was some sort of team or organization still going on between avengers in seperate locations but after that it’s been radio silence on the Avenger front if I’m not mistaken. Not having the new characters cross over with each other more has been a huge mistake. Off the top of my head, the last one we saw was Yelena interacting with Kate Bishop in the Hawkeye series.

Yeah, but that wasn't real Nick - see the after credits (and Spidey asks to call individuals, not the Avengers, like he knew you couldn't call them).  And the end scene of Shang Chi was Wong putting a group together...like there isn't one after the funeral - they all just disbanded and are solo or gone...

30 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

2024 is gonna be the first year since 2006 without a Marvel movie kicking off the Summer

Even if that happens: so? Delaying Deadpool from May isn't because of some backlash from The Marvels, it's because of the strike. I don't see how that'd really make that much of a difference.

Fwiw, I’d be a lot more skeptical of someone parachuting in to say they’ve seen a film early and it was GREAT or TERRIBLE than someone who said it was … just fine - not much of a hot take to drive engagement.

Now one person’s opinion may or may not be reflective of how critics and/or audiences receive said film, but don’t see it necessary to presume such a report is fake

59 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

I'm not counting COVID years, obviously. Doctor Strange 2 was originally scheduled to be released in May 2021, Black Widow in May 2020. 

2024 is gonna be the first year since 2006 without a Marvel movie kicking off the Summer.

If they thought Marvels would have been a great WOM, hyped up movie, they would have pushed it back to May 2024 so they could actually promote it fully.

The fact that they didn't shows they are waving the white flag and getting it over with as soon as possible.

If we're talking about MCU, then 2014 was actually the last year, which opened with Amazing Spider-Man 2.  For all we know, Madame Webb can move to the May 2024 slot.

5 minutes ago, crazymoviekid said:

If we're talking about MCU, then 2014 was actually the last year, which opened with Amazing Spider-Man 2.  For all we know, Madame Webb can move to the May 2024 slot.

I don't really see why it would. It's already shot, not really much competition, and by the time press would begin the strike will be over.

2 hours ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

So, does the movie ( aka The Marvels ) even have a director, writer? I mean, where are they?

The director did a number of interviews in past weeks but I don't think anything broke through. I also doubt she has a lot of specific pull for booking segments. 

Better yet, where is Kevin Feige?

Yeah, that's a big question. 

12 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Feige doesn't really do that much press. He does interviews for featurette and red carpets but it's not like he's always on talk shows promoting each release all the time.

Because he usually doesn't have to, the stars do it. He is the only name with clout in this project that can do promo rn.

• Like 1

But he's still the head of the studio. He doesnt have the time to do a full press tour with just him and Dacosta.

The simple fact is that the strike severely affects everyone's ability to do press. I think Marvel bet on the strike ending before the films release, or at least close enough they'd have time for a big press push, and that didn't wind up happening.

3 hours ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

So, does the movie ( aka The Marvels ) even have a director, writer? I mean, where are they? Better yet, where is Kevin Feige?

what's funny is when I saw the test screening a few months back, they had the stylzed art credits that credited everyone except the writers, it just said "written by TBD" I've never encountered that before. IDK if it had to do with the actors being on strike at the time? Nia was listed, Feige, all the actors, production design and producers, but no writers

• Like 1
  • Disbelief 1

47 minutes ago, Shindaya said:

what's funny is when I saw the test screening a few months back, they had the stylzed art credits that credited everyone except the writers, it just said "written by TBD" I've never encountered that before. IDK if it had to do with the actors being on strike at the time? Nia was listed, Feige, all the actors, production design and producers, but no writers

Likely not, more likely they simply hadn't determined final writing credits!  But yes, it's rather late in the game...  Of course there's still a minute chance that Marvel/Disney could pull this and push it back to next year, but as lots here are saying, all the signals simply seem to point to knowing they have a lackluster movie on their hands, and they're just going to push it out there and get it over with...  I still don't quite understand how the first one got to $1billion, but obviously lots of pent-up needs for more female superhero representation had a lot to do with it.  If given the choice, though, I'd rewatch "Wonder Woman" over this one anyday. 

Edited by Macleod

49 minutes ago, Shindaya said:

If true, that's probably just a sign that there's a WGA arbitration ongoing/potential for a WGA arbitration. I have no clue on the timeline of that but those disputes seem pretty common across films like this where multiple teams take passes at the film. 

Writers strike might also mean any sort of arbitration timeline gets delayed.

16 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

I can't possibly imagine arbitration would stop because of the strike, because that would fuck over WGA members who wrote on things still releasing.

thats what i was thinking, we're still getting projects released that are crediting writers (or, we did, during the WGA strike) but its possible that for projects containing multiple writers they just weren't sure who would get what kind of credit until the strikes were over

1 hour ago, Shindaya said:

probably means ChatGPT wrote it

• Haha 4
  • Astonished 1