Eric is Quiet

The Marvels | November 10, 2023 | Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter

59 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

You don't think the reason it was rejected was because the same person tried to sign up twice?

i was approved the first time, because i had seen every movie on the list. out of curiosity, i signed up for the screening with a second email but only clicked two of the movies and it said "sorry you are not approved for this screening"

I then signed on with a third email (to get a pass for my friend) and clicked every movie and once again it approved for the test screening (we didn't know what the screening was for until we showed up at the theater)

Edited by Shindaya
  • Like 2

Most movies have bad test screenings, we just don’t know about it 

Studios do many tests in different states, with very diferentes types of people with a range of tastes. 

Is common the same movie to have a good result in one screening and a bad result in other screening 

It’s a warning sign when they happen too close to release (The Marvels) or too many times (Aquaman). Even then, sometimes the movie turn out fine like Deadpool 2 or Malignant. 

The main problem here is that when it comes to CBM’s, an entire industry of secretive informations was created and this became a big deal online even when it shouldn’t. Social media just doesn’t know how this works so the idea of a bad test screening = unsolvable is usual now in people’s minds, and i would argue is hurting both Marvel and DC movies for quite some time because people already treat them like shit without seeing anything just because someone said it have bad tests.

• Like 4

Just now, Giorno said:

The Flash supposedly had these incredible test screening scores and its audience scores ending up being atrocious so who knows

I suspect we’ll see the other side of this with Aquaman.

I don’t think it’ll be an amazing movie, but everyone is expecting the worst movie of the century because of the tests reportings, so nobody expects anything from it and they’ll be surprised when the movie ended up being just meh or just ok. 

19 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Most movies have bad test screenings, we just don’t know about it 

Studios do many tests in different states, with very diferentes types of people with a range of tastes. 

Is common the same movie to have a good result in one screening and a bad result in other screening 

It’s a warning sign when they happen too close to release (The Marvels) or too many times (Aquaman). Even then, sometimes the movie turn out fine like Deadpool 2 or Malignant. 

The main problem here is that when it comes to CBM’s, an entire industry of secretive informations was created and this became a big deal online even when it shouldn’t. Social media just doesn’t know how this works so the idea of a bad test screening = unsolvable is usual now in people’s minds, and i would argue is hurting both Marvel and DC movies for quite some time because people already treat them like shit without seeing anything just because someone said it have bad tests.

I mean define fine? Cause for example I liked Malignant and its trashy twist, it was pretty funny, but audiences gave it a C, so that was pretty in line with test screenings.

Though it's worth saying test screenings can show different versions of a film and with varying degree of completion on effects and whatnot. Something like flash probably benefit in test screenings with audiences being more forgiving towards the effects since they are expected to be unfinished.

Are we REALLY doing Test Screenings again?!?

Fine.

The One and ONLY comment that needs to be said about them.

Well.. Actually a second comment:

Good Test Screenings Does Not Equal Good Movie

Bad Test Screenings Does Not Equal Bad Movie.

The.  

End.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Shindaya said:

AND they only invited people who were big marvel fans because the questionaire we had to fill out asked if we had seen a list of movies that were mostly MCU movies with a few DC movies. when I signed up i got approved for the screening, I opened another account and tried to sign up but only clicked "having seen two" of the movies on the list and i was not approved, so they really were only wanting MCU/CBM fans to attend this screening, and the movie didnt really hit much with anyone save for a few moments here and there

Should point out this is standard practice and it's less about only inviting Marvel super fans as people interested in big budget action movies, it just so happens comic book movies dominate that segment. They want the feedback from people likely to check out the film normally so if someone's only seen 2 movies on the list (of I'm guessing 8-12 titles) they don't qualify as a person likely to see this type of movie anyway.

It's possible to over-qualify yourself too - people who check too many boxes also tend to be rejected.

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, Porthos said:

The One and ONLY comment that needs to be said about them.

Doesn't Variety lose some face if The Marvels gets good reviews 1-2 weeks after they drop a big hit piece that implicitly is shouting the movie is bad and full of creative disagreements. 

or am I reading too much into that and the only thing this means, is that the reporter was able to find someone associated with the pollster who conducted the june focus group that was willing to dish off the record?

Edited by PlatnumRoyce

2 hours ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Talking about other Marvel movies connected to The Marvels is off limits and off topic but constantly bringing up DC movies is okay. I would like to know the rules here? 

What post is this in reference to?  You all need to be NARCs. It needs to be reported. Ignore and report. That is the fastest way to get a response from me. 

Anyway, the standard policy is no discussion of leaks or spoilers. So we don’t encourage people to talk about how “well in the next movie there’s going to be this, because I read it based on a Spoiler Reddit Post.” That goes for both DC and Marvel films.

On the Monday or Tuesday before The Marvels release, we plan to update/clarify a couple of the forum rules. There will be a separate post on it. If any of you want clarifications on things, please PM me. We will try to address it then. 

I also apologize because I basically haven’t been around all month. I had a lot of really crazy things happening in real life that just pulled me away. I had a huge shake up at work, that caused a lot of sleepless nights and entire body stress. Plus The Lewiston madness. And my grandmother being sick. And the dog just being the dog. There was a lot going on. It’s just been a long, terrible year. 

• Like 2
  • Heart 6
  • Sad 2

7 minutes ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

Doesn't Variety lose some face if The Marvels gets good reviews 1-2 weeks after they drop a big hit piece that implicitly is shouting the movie is bad and full of creative disagreements. 

or am I reading too much into that and the only thing this means, is that the reporter was able to find someone associated with the pollster who conducted the june focus group that was willing to dish off the record?

Well, yeah.  On the other hand... Well, I personally am expecting a decent chance at mixed reviews simply because this film has been in post for almost the entirety of the SAG strike which likely means any issues with ADR or things that normally would have been addressed with pickups in the last four months had to be edited around or massaged in some other way.

Doesn't mean they couldn't have been addressed!  Could have turned in a Lean, Mean, No Fat Version of the film that flows wonderfully.  Wouldn't be the first time a film has been found in the editing room and certainly wouldn't be the last.  Just it's an added complication.  Which is pretty much the only thing I've said about the subject when I've mentioned it off and on in other threads.

But, and this is a critical but, it's a SEPARATE ISSUE from any mooted test screenings done back in July.  One does not really inform the other, in my mind.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Porthos said:

personally am expecting a decent chance at mixed reviews simply because this film has been in post for almost the entirety of the SAG strike which likely means any issues with ADR or things that normally would have been addressed with pickups in the last four months had to be edited around or massaged in some other way.

Idk if ADR is really that pressing an issue specifically tbh

18 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Idk if ADR is really that pressing an issue specifically tbh

Given the rise of "fix it in post" mentality I don't think it can be easily disregarded.  Mind, I don't think it's a death sentence for the film which is why I personally haven't harped on it for posts on end (brought it up occasionally?  Yes.  Harped on it?  Hopefully not).  And there might be... creative ways around it (say splicing takes or heavily processing it with computer tech). At the same time, I do think some folks underestimate the sheer amount of surgery that is done to some films in post and how much work actors do after the main shooting period. 

Either way, out of all of the concerns that have risen regarding The Marvels over the last five plus months, this is the one that holds the most weight for me.  That and not being able to tweak things with minor pickups that might normally be done post-main shoot (yes, staying away from the "r" word here).

And, again, it might be nothing.  At the same time, it's not unreasonable to think that one of the reasons why the film was pushed back from July to November was to allow time for more polishing post-production.  And while things like editing and vfx and scoring wouldn't have been effected by the dual strikes more mundane things like "Dammit, we can't hear this critical take because of someone chewing gum too close to the boom mic" might have been.

(yes, that was a humorous/not serious example - but unusable dialogue for an otherwise perfectly good scene is the classic reason for why ADR exists)

Edited by Porthos