Eric is Anxious

The Marvels | November 10, 2023 | Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter

7 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

Now I’m to blame for this? That film was one of the beautiful moments of this little community when a lot of fans of the superhero genre bandied together for one film most of us could agree cheering on. What I’m saying is that regarding this community, this didn’t happen. It’s one of the reasons I long for the old days here.

I don't see how I was blaming you for anything, but nah no one's blaming you dude (at least I'm not). Apologies if it came across that way. I don't see how you've done anything but share your own opinion. I just think bring DC discourse into the mix is unnecessary and asking for trouble. 

Edited by SaltyPistola

1 minute ago, ViewerAnon said:

Don't want to post this on Twitter and cause a shit show but I'm really concerned they're still not screening the entire movie yet. Junket press only saw 30 minutes worth yesterday and today.

It's just a week away. Why not show the entire film and just put on an embargo? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ViewerAnon said:

Don't want to post this on Twitter and cause a shit show but I'm really concerned they're still not screening the entire movie yet. Junket press only saw 30 minutes worth yesterday and today.

I know they screened internally recently and the response was good. But it's always tricky with that stuff - there will always be a bias. Agreed that it's troubling  

Edited by SaltyPistola

4 minutes ago, ViewerAnon said:

That is madness.

Just now, SaltyPistola said:

I know they screened internally recently and the response was good. But it's always tricky with that stuff - there will always be a bias 

Who knows, maybe it is good and they want to make the haters look foolish and focus on giving the film good legs? I don't know, I'm stretching. I can't understand anything Marvel does these days.

5 minutes ago, DInky said:

Why not show it if everyone is embargoed anyway?

Not sure, it's very unusual for Disney and how they usually screen this stuff. My hope is the film just came down to the wire with VFX finalization and they don't want to show a rough-looking movie and get the same sort of lashing QUANTUMANIA received.

Edited by ViewerAnon

Just now, MysteryMovieMogul said:

Who knows, maybe it is good and they want to make the haters look foolish and focus on giving the film good legs? I don't know, I'm stretching. I can't understand anything Marvel does these days.

It could just be Disney being overly reactive after IJ & Elemental. 

2 minutes ago, SaltyPistola said:

I know they screened internally recently and the response was good. But it's always tricky with that stuff - there will always be a bias 

Yeah I am not taking any impressions now without an insane amount of salt. I saw an Argentinian critic that did see something yesterday - it could be the only 30 minutes thing that ViewerAnon is saying - but either way I’m not worried. If the film is bad, it’s bad. If the film is good, it’s good. We will know soon enough.

5 minutes ago, HummingLemon496 said:

So then what are the good MCU movies in your opinion?

Oooh, a fun list:)...

Having done some rewatches, I update my rankings (excluding all Spidey films b/c they are Sony, and all Deadpool films b/c they aren't Disney, and I am only judging Disney MCU...ok, Iron Man 1 is a stretch, but it is all the MCU crew, so)...

Avengers Infinity War

The Avengers

Captain America - the whole trilogy b/c it's better together than even as individual parts

Iron Man

Guardians of the Galaxy

Avengers Endgame

Those are the top tier - I think original Avengers may even have moved up to my top favorite, but I haven't watched Infinity War recently - and yes, I realize 5 of my 6 top tier movies involve Iron Man and Cap, so I must be cliche fanbase:)...

And yes, the only sequels on my list are Avengers and Cap ones - there's something to be said about the originality of the character done on screen when done right (I'd say Avengers itself is original since we see them come together for the 1st time)...

7 minutes ago, ViewerAnon said:

As I said in tracking thread, doing nothing is a terrible strategy. Eternals by this point had bad reviews out and still was selling better than what this movie is selling. Even bad news is better than no buzz. 

Just now, ViewerAnon said:

Not sure, it's very unusual for Disney and how they usually screen this stuff. My hope is the film just came down to the wire with VFX finalization and they don't want to show a rough-looking movie and get the same sort of lashing QUANTUMANIA received.

That makes sense. Then again, if it did come down to the wire then I still expect some shoddy VFX.

19 minutes ago, SaltyPistola said:

Come off it they're absolutely kids movie lmao. Anyone who feels attacked by that needs to touch grass. 

Well the MPAA disagrees with your subjective assessment. Pg-13 is not for kids and usually encompasses all types of blockbusters. 

Edited by TheFlatLannister
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, keysersoze123 said:

As I said in tracking thread, doing nothing is a terrible strategy. Eternals by this point had bad reviews out and still was selling better than what this movie is selling. Even bad news is better than no buzz. 

Eternals was a complete mess of a release and I do think that might have radically changed how Marvel deals with plot sensitive films. Whenever I think of Eternals pre-release, I don’t even think of its reception, I think of Twitter going apeshit over Variety making an article that Harry Styles was on the post credits scene. 

As someone that follows BOT a long ass while I get what you are saying, but at same time, would it be that bad if Marvel started to trust more in the buzz for the film closer to its release than just risk early leaks? Imagine that this film is in fact good, would it be that bad if Marvel changed their protocol to trust on legs over a big splash at the box office? If I’m remember correctly, Guardians, Vol. 3 also had an insanely late impressions and review embargo as well. 

Guardians 3 did not not have social media reaction embargo 3 days before release. I don't know why some of you keep claiming that. That's just not true. I get that you're trying to protect The Marvels from all skepticism but let's not put falsehoods out there. 

Edited by Zakiyyah6
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, SaltyPistola said:

I know they screened internally recently and the response was good. But it's always tricky with that stuff - there will always be a bias. Agreed that it's troubling  

The screening was so good that they are releasing the embargo at the latest minute possible lmao? even the the social media embargo is the latest for a MCU movie ever. Lets stop being delusional, everything indicates that the reception of the movie will be awful and if it somehow isnt then Disney screwed up big time.

Edited by iEnri
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

Eternals was a complete mess of a release and I do think that might have radically changed how Marvel deals with plot sensitive films. Whenever I think of Eternals pre-release, I don’t even think of its reception, I think of Twitter going apeshit over Variety making an article that Harry Styles was on the post credits scene. 

As someone that follows BOT a long ass while I get what you are saying, but at same time, would it be that bad if Marvel started to trust more in the buzz for the film closer to its release than just risk early leaks? Imagine that this film is in fact good, would it be that bad if Marvel changed their protocol to trust on legs over a big splash at the box office? If I’m remember correctly, Guardians, Vol. 3 also had an insanely late impressions and review embargo as well. 

They pulled in dates for Guardians. They did early free screening and all reviews were out friday before release that is tomorrow for Marvels. Even at its nadir, it was doing way better than Marvels. They are not even in the same ballpark if you look outside MTC1. MTC2 is 1/3rd of Guardians and MTC3 is even worse. Same story on smaller TC as well. So waiting until final 2 days is not going to help with anything. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, iEnri said:

The screening was so good that they are releasing the embargo at the latest minute possible LOL even the the social media embargo is the latest for a MCU movie ever. Lets stop being delusional, everything indicates that the reception of the movie will be awful and if it somehow isnt then Disney screwed up big time.

If this happens (the movie gets a positive critical reception) then I'd really like to know what was happening behind the scenes.