Thinking Sonic would edge out COTW with those Fridays

6.25 (+145%)

12.5 (+100%)

8.0 (-36%)

= 26.75

10.5 (+40%)

7.0 (-33%)

= 26.0

I agree! Sonic's Saturday + Sunday increase will help it edge out COTW for the weekend win.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

CoTW: 7.5 true Friday (27.5 OW IMO)

Sonic: 6.25 (25 Weekend IMO)

Fuck you Deadline.

In a year where Bad Boys and Sonic both opened to 70M+ over a 4-day holiday, and Birds of Prey pretty much flopped, CotW's opening is certainly one of the interesting stories. If it hits 27-28 weekend, that's actually nuts :lol: 

• ...wtf 1
  • Knock It Off 1

17 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

I don't see that happening. Will go with +70-75%.

A+60% (A Dog's Purpose) Saturday from true Friday will give CoTW 12, so, that is that.

This Sat Alita managed +77%. Lego2 +108%. 

Sonic should at least flirt with +90% if not +100% IMO.

Agree that COTW can do much better than +40% from true Fri.

Edited by a2k

7 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

I won't rule out $30mn at higher end for CotW. NA can leg out to $100mn.

If OS to NA ratio is par A Dog's Purpose, that will be....

something around $85mn. Ugh. I thought may be. It's a bomb unless OS spring a surprise in Europe.

Any chance it can get a release in China in 4-5 months? Will theatres be open by then? If it does get a release, can it even do any business given it's been out so long?

23 minutes ago, babz06 said:

Call of the Wild overperforming but still going to be a flop because of the budget. No wonder Fox was bought by Disney, stupid decisions.

I think it was more that Murdoch wanted to sell those assets but yeah, Fox the studio was clearly giving up towards the end of their run. At least we're coming to the end of the leftovers from when they were still a regular studio, since I think The New Mutants (which was made before there were even rumors of a sale, that's how long it's been sitting on the shelf) and The Woman in the Window are the only remaining projects yet to be released that were made before the sale last March that I'm aware of (won't group the Avatar sequels in with those since those were always gonna have an extensive post-production history).

Edited by filmlover

3 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Even if China get release date and do $100mn, which is highly unlikely, Disney will be still getting only $20mn of that. Not really a difference maker. 

I mean it's not like Disney funded the 135M or whatever was put into it. It "came" with Fox, did it not? Wouldn't a China 100M release (if it ever happened) be more about saving face than about turning a profit on the production budget?

8 hours ago, Arendelle Legion said:

This weekend is a snooze. Nothing to even really care about with KO, Jumanji, or Parasite in terms of milestones and records. Maybe Para can snag a top 3 20th wknd or something 

Y’all are welcome for this masterful jinx.

So Bad Boys doing 60M+ is still the craziest BO run so far this year, and I don't think anything will come close, barring something like Bill & Ted opening to 70M or whatever. But Call of the Wild doing 30M if Charlie's numbers indicate that would be a solid runner-up. Even something like Sonic or Birds of Prey I could at least kind of believe their openings if you told me this at the beginning of the year. But it honestly felt like nobody was talking about this movie, apart from some snickers at the CG dog, and while Disney gave it a push, it didn't feel that strong promo wise. I guess Ford really did help excite the oldies.

• Like 1