charlie Jatinder

Name & Rate the Movies/TV You've Watched.

10 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

watched the latest season of the boys. it was ok definitely the weakest season so far. i thought the plot stalling was a bit annoying in season 2 but it's even worse here. it's pretty repetitive.

I found it stronger than 2. Maybe it's because of Supernatural but I thought Jensen Ackles was a great addition this season that raised it up. 

Things felt like they were progressing nicely until the finale which largely puts us back to square one except for a few wrinkles. That was frustrating. 

Flix - Fauda - 9/10 - Gripping thriller...eagerly waiting for Season 4

Apple tv - Ted Lasso - 6/10 - gets tedious in 2nd season 

Apple tv - Tehran - 9.5/10 - Best in recent times

Prime - The Office - 10/10 - My all time favourite sitcom/series! - Damn it, Jim!

• Like 1

Top gun 86 (7/10).Good opening, nice soundtrack and wholesome fun  movie . Third act feels soo tucked on though.

Terminator rewatch - 8/10

Terminator 2rewatch -9.5/10

Terminator 3  -( 7/10) didn't hate as much as before but still the franchise should have stopped with 2

Salvation (7/10) .solid film but the lack of arnold is felt and yeah it continues to reap the timeline to shreds.

Adore the first 2,tolerate 3and4
but hate 5. Never watched dark fate and probably never will.

Love and thunder( 5.5-6/10)
Like bits with Jane and Gorr who is so wasted .hated  lots of unfunny and insensitive  humour and thor has been  turned into joke. Script in this was non existent.

MOM (7-7.5/10). Plot is a mess, wanda's arc is wonky but Sam raimi's  direction and style works for me and it pulls this movie through for me.

NWH rewatch (7-7.5/10).

Mcu phase 3 marathon rewatch

Civil war -9.5/10 still good.

Dr strange 8/10. Better than I remember and great visuals

GOTG 2  8.5/10

Homecoming 8/10

Ragnarok.  8/10 not as good as on my first viewing but still a really good film.

Black panther 7/10 .still mid for me.

Infinity War. 9.5/10

Antman and the wasp  7/10

Captain.  Marvel. 6.5/10

Endgame.  8.5/10

FFH.            7/10

Men in black 97   8/10

MIB 2.                   6.5/10

MIB3.                    7/10

Independence day rewatch
(8/10)

JWD .(7/10) . Movie was a mess but still liked it. This movie like many have said didn't deliver on it's premise instead we got some locust plotline that doesn't make sense. Maise lockwood and the mum are  more and more like self insert retcons that it got me out of the movie at points.

Enjoyed the dino action , kinda liked the old and new cast meeting together despite some of them being wasted.
The ending was still emotional for me in a weird way, guess that the jurrasic franchise for you , despite it's flaws, it still draws me in with some great dino  shots and music.  
     First movie captured something magical that somehow permeates all the movies despite  their issues always reel you in hoping it will capture the greatness of the first.

SERIES

Human season 1 : 8/10

Stranger things  4 part 2: 8/10
Overall the season has been suprisingly good but the last 25mins of the last episode underwhelmed me.

Boys season 3. Haven't finished it yet  but it's a a step up from season 2 which I had issues with.

2 episodes into terminal list and it's just fine.

Edited by Liiviig 1998
  • Like 3

July Movies:

• Blade Runner - 10/10
  • Universal Soldier - 8/10
  • Star Trek: The Motion Picture (Theatrical) - 9/10
  • Videodrome - 9/10
  • Universal Soldier: The Return - 4/10 In name sequel only. Makes ZERO sense with what came before and what comes after.
  • Moulin Rouge! - 5/10 
  • The Hot Spot - 8/10 Underrated neo-noir film by Dennis Hopper. 2 hours of impeccable VIBES. Don Johnson and Jennifer Connelly have never looked so sexy.
  • Elvis - 8/10 The first Baz film I've actually liked, despite the longer runtime I didn't get totally exhausted midway through like his other movies.
  • Thor: Ragnarok - 7/10
  • Star Trek: The Motion Picture (Director's Edition) - 10/10 Took forever to come to theatres in Canada but it's my favourite Trek film. I love Khan as well but it doesn't have that same kind of epic Hollywood quality of TMP (this has an overture for godssake!). Absolute king shit to revive Trek to capitalize on Star Wars and then make a movie in the same vein of 2001: A Space Odyssey.
  • Age of Innocence - 10/10
  • Avatar - 9/10  First rewatch in over a decade, couldn't wait for the rerelease. One of the best third act setpieces in blockbuster history.
  • The Day He Arrives - 6/10
  • 6 Underground - 7/10 Hilarious that Netflix spent SO much money on such a crass, morally revolting film like this. Bay's most insane since Bad Boys II.
  • Star Trek: The Motion Picture (Director's Edition) - 10/10 Watching this movie 3 times in one week changed me as a man.
  • Universal Soldier: Regeneration - 7/10
  • Red Heat - 8/10
  • AmbuLAnce - 10/10 Gets better and better every time I see it.
  • Universal Soldier: Day of Reckoning - 10/10 One of the greatest action and horror films of the 2010s.
  • Les Vampires - Surprised how engaged I was with this 7 hour silent film serial, deceptively complex and layered. Watched in prep for Irma Vep.
  • Dead Ringers - 7/10
  • Thor: Love and Thunder - 3/10 Worst MCU film.
  • Predator - 10/10
  • A Scanner Darkly - 8/10
  • Hill of Freedom - 7/10
  • The Empire Strikes Back - 10/10
  • Irma Vep - 6/10 Cool to see the Les Vampires footage repurposed but eh...would rather have just watched that again.
  • Tale of Cinema - 9/10 My fav Hong Sang-soo film.
  • Before Sunrise - 7/10
  • Out of Sight - 9/10
  • Meet Me in St. Louis - 10/10
  • Across 110th Street - 7/10
  • Introduction - 6/10
  • Murphy's Law - 8/10
  • Predator 2 - 10/10 My favourite Predator as a kid, have swung back around to thinking of this one as equal to the original. 
  • Nope - 8/10
  • Targets - 10/10 
  • Truck Turner - 9/10 RIP Nichelle Nichols, my new fav Blaxploitation Film
  • Like 3

JULY

Movies

Current Releases

Elvis - 8/10 - Delightfully Baz, Butler was top notch, Hanks was swinging big. Loved the soundtrack, the musical numbers. A little  paint by numbers narratively. 

Thor: Love and Thunder - 7/10 - Pretty standard MCU fare. Production was average, Bale was fantastic. Lacking some meat on the bones; akin to a Saturday morning cartoon. 

Sonic the Hedgehog 2 - 6/10 - The writers seem to exist in 2010 with out of date references galore. 30 mins too long. Super Sayian Sonic was pretty cool.

Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore - 5/10 - Yates needs to go, everything is so unimaginative and drained of life. 

Morbius - 4/10 - I almost wanted this to be worse, in the end it’s just super generic. Matt Smith looked like he was having fun. 

The Gray Man - 3/10 - Disappointing effort from the Russo’s, zero sense of rhythm and instinct when it came to the editing and narrative. Can’t believe this cost $200M.

Older Releases 

Singin’ in the Rain - 10/10 - The sheer amount of talent and effort on the screen is jaw dropping. The way everyone moves is magical. 

Dead Poets Society - 10/10 - Inspiring, incredible, a wonderful coming of age story. It makes you want to get out there and live life to the fullest. 

Pride & Prejudice (2005) - 9/10 - I’m a sucker for repressed love stories full of misunderstandings. Damn you Jane Austen! Also is that hand touch one of the hottest moments put to film?

Wheels On Meals - 9/10 - Complete mastery of both comedy and action. The sheer simplicity of the narrative is something more films should take note of.

Cop Land - 9/10 - Achieves a surprising amount of depth for a short runtime. Fantastic ensemble cast, centred by a very tender, quiet performance from Stallone. 

Brazil - 8/10 

Eraserhead - 8/10 - Deeply uncomfortable, nightmarish take on unexpected fatherhood and repressed desires.

The Gift (2000) - 8/10 - Small town whodunit with an intimate, soft performance from Blanchett. Keanu gives one of the most genuine acting efforts I’ve seen from him. 

Bridget Jones Diary - 8/10 - If this was the first thing i saw Zellweger in I would 100% believe she was British. The fight between Grant and Firth might be the hardest I’ve laughed in years.

Rushmore - 8/10

The Firm - 8/10 - I long for the days of 90’s conspiracy thrillers like this.

Doom (2005) - 7/10 - Schlocky B-movie hyper masculine fun in all the right ways. It ends with a super-powered kung fu and wrestling battle. What more could you want!

The Muppets Take Manhattan - 7/10

Prince of Darkness - 7/10

The Craft - 7/10 - Nostalgically 90’s, great soundtrack, CGI hasn’t aged well. 

Muppets From Space - 6/10 - Too Gonzo focused, needed more of the whole gang. 

The Chronicles of Riddick - 3/10 

Spiral: From the Book of Saw - 2/10 - Chris Rock is god awful in this. Feels cheaply made. Kills are still pretty gnarly.

TV

The Sopranos S1|2|3 - 10/10 - Has completely lived up to it’s reputation. Top tier TV. 

Westworld S4 - 9/10 - The show is 100% back on form, it’s rediscovered that balance between clarity and clever narrative conceits that S1 had. I went pretty soft on S3 but this has made me realise what Westworld was and always should have been while still moving forwards. 

Stranger Things S4 - 9/10 

The Boys S3 - 8/10 

Ms. Marvel - 7/10 - This was definitely the most heartfelt and relatable of the Marvel shows. Exploring India’s history with British control and partition was handled very well. The usual caveats keep it from truly excelling but the show had a very strong sense of what it was that prevented it from tripping up. 

• Like 2

rewatched the rush hour trilogy recently. actually only 1 and 2 were rewatches (they held up fine for me) i had never actually seen 3 before. really awful. how did i not know that roman polanski was in the movie and he basically sexually assaults jackie chan and chris tucker? why does nobody ever talk about that scene? that's straight up the CRAZIEST thing i've ever seen in a movie. i can't believe that happened.

• Haha 1
  • Astonished 1

3 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

rewatched the rush hour trilogy recently. actually only 1 and 2 were rewatches (they held up fine for me) i had never actually seen 3 before. really awful. how did i not know that roman polanski was in the movie and he basically sexually assaults jackie chan and chris tucker? why does nobody ever talk about that scene? that's straight up the CRAZIEST thing i've ever seen in a movie. i can't believe that happened.

...pardon?

5 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

Man, I did I rewatch of the trilogy like a year ago and I must have blocked this scene out of my mind. That's absolutely insane.

Agree with your consensus about the trilogy, 3 sucks. 

• Like 1

AUGUST

Movies

Current Releases

Nope - 10/10 - Absolutely gripped to the edge of my seat. Gorgeous IMAX photography, was a visceral cinema experience. Favourite film of the year so far. Go in as blind as possible. 

Prey - 8/10 - The kick up the ass the franchise needed, top notch action, Amber Midthunder is a badass. 

Lightyear - 7/10 - Pulled on my heartstrings at the start, but settled into generic kids animated film going forwards. 

13 Lives - 7/10 - The claustrophobia and sound design were A+ but you’re better off watching The Rescue. 

Day Shift - 6/10 - The perfect throwaway, schlocky, B-Movie that you want from Netflix. Action and kills were surprisingly fun. 

Beast - 5/10 - Comes alive when the Lion is on screen, not so much when it isn’t. 

Bullet Train - 5/10 - Tries so hard to be witty, sharp and fast that it becomes numbing at points. Fight scenes were well shot but aren’t extensive enough.

Samaritan - 4/10 

Older Releases 

A League of Their Own - 10/10 - I laughed as hard as I cried. Everything Jon Lovitz says is comedy gold. 

Police Story - 9/10 - Strips back some of the comedy from other Jackie Chan films which makes the action a lot more tense. It’s proper nail-biting stuff, especially the final act.

Armour of God II: Operation Condor - 8/10 - Riffing more on Indiana Jones, huge set pieces and a really funny ensemble cast. Some parts definitely don’t hold up; lots of brown facing and Nazi redemption?! 

The Faculty - 8/10 

The Frighteners - 8/10 - Peter Jackson doing his best Robert Zemeckis.

Mars Attacks! - 5/10 - The aliens were fun, everything else meh. 

TV

The Sopranos S4 - 10/10 

Light and Magic - 9/10 - What could have been a throwaway documentary is actually delightfully in-depth. A celebration of innovation, storytelling and the people behind it.

House of the Dragon - 9/10 - Must-watch-TV right out of the gate, puts all the other fantasy shows since GOT to shame. There’s a tangible quality to the storytelling. Lets see if it holds.

Westworld S4 - 8/10 - This season started off so well but the back half was underdeveloped and undercooked. Overall I did enjoy it more than S3 but it didn’t quite live up to its initial promise.

The Sandman - 8/10 - What a nice surprise! Has a storybook feel to it. Whimsical and dark in all the right places. It did run out of steam towards the end a bit. 

She Hulk - 7/10

All of Us Are Dead - 6/10 - Perfect trash TV. A full on soap opera with unbelievably stupid characters and lots of people dying. 

I Am Groot - 6/10

Edited by FilmFincher
  • Like 2

August Films:

• Predators - 7/10 Underrated sequel, wish we got a sequel...as is it's a cool set up that's too open ended.
  • The Predator - 2/10
  • Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan - 10/10
  • Kimi - 7/10
  • Prey - 8/10 I've been wanting to see this story since I was a kid seeing the flintlock given to Danny Glover at the end of 2.
  • Grumpy Old Men - 7/10
  • Grumpier Old Men - 5/10 They were not in fact grumpier than before...
  • Gran Torino - 9/10 The grumpiest old man.
  • Lionheart - 7/10
  • Dog Day Afternoon - 9/10
  • Detective vs Sleuths - 6/10
  • Day Shift - 7/10
  • Fire of Love - 8/10
  • The Last Picture Show - 10/10
  • The King of Marvin Gardens - 8/10
  • Star Trek III: The Search for Spock - 7/10
  • Dark Star - 6/10
  • Bullet Train - 3/10 
  • Assault on Precinct 13 - 9/10
  • Star Wars: Return of the Jedi - 10/10
  • What's Up Doc? - 10/10
  • Knock Off - 8/10
  • Carter - 6/10
  • Paper Moon - 10/10
  • Daisy Miller - 4/10
  • Halloween (1978) - 10/10
  • In the Line of Fire - 8/10 John Malkovich gives one of the best villain performances of the 90s.
  • Samaritan - 6/10 Fav superhero film of the year, not as good as it should be based on the set up BUT it's got Sly so...
  • Three Thousands Years of Longing - 7/10 God tier first 2/3s...very weak finale.
  • Oldboy - 9/10
  • Halloween II - 8/10
  • For All Mankind - 8/10 Not a great documentary if you want to learn anything...but a fascinating cinematic experience that really puts you into the headspace of the men onboard the Apollo missions.
  • The Fog - 9/10 Unsung Carpenter film, some of his best visuals and atmosphere.
  • Escape from New York - 8/10
  • Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home - 9/10
  • Like 2

Went to the Toronto Film Festival last month, here's all I saw

TIFF 2022:

• Godland - 7/10
  • Butcher's Crossing - 4/10
  • Muru - 7.5/10
  • The Fabelmans - 9/10 Best final scene and best final shot of the year...can't see it being topped.
  • Sick - 7/10 Covid Scream. Kevin Williamson's script is whatever but the direction is some of the best I've seen in a slasher in a very long time.
  • The Banshees of Inisherin - 8/10
  • Glass Onion: Knives Out 2 - 6/10 I'm in the minority but this was just fine. Takes too long to get going, new characters aren't funny, lots of it felt like a missed opportunity considering the set up. Can't say much without spoilers tho.
  • Holy Spider - 8/10
  • EO - 9/10 Best film I saw at TIFF. A crazy innovative art film about a donkey, loved it! Makes a good pairing with AmbuLAnce for all the drone stuff.
  • The Greatest Beer Run Ever - 5/10
  • Plan 75 - 7/10
  • Good Night Oppy - 8/10
  • Walk Up - 7.5/10

Favourite First Watches in September:

• Spartan - 9/10 Val Kilmer's best role.
  • Three Thousand Years of Longing - 9/10
  • At Long Last Love - 8/10
  • The Munsters - 8/10 Trailer did it so dirty, it was charming and fun!
  • Like 1

SEPTEMBER

Movies

Current Releases

Bodies Bodies Bodies - 7/10 - Very funny throughout, not quite as horror focused as I would have liked. Ends on an amazing note.

See How They Run - 7/10 - Charming, especially Saoirse Ronan. It’s a film that does exactly what it says on the tin; nothing more, nothing less.

Three Thousand Years of Longing - 7/10 - Pretty amazing and magical for the first two acts, becomes muddled in the final one. If it stuck the landing might have been on my favourites of the year. 

Pinocchio - 4/10 - Absolutely lifeless, Zemeckis has lost all energy as a storyteller. 

Older Releases 

The General - 10/10 - Filmmaking, visual storytelling and stunt work at it’s finest. 

Malcolm X - 9/10 - A straight up epic, Denzel is mesmerising

Dark Water (2002) - 8/10 - Very emotional, especially the ending. A precursor to films like The Babadook. 

Hocus Pocus - 7/10

Halloween H20 - 7/10 - One of the better Halloween films and I could happily take this as a finale for the franchise, let’s see if this new one can top it. 

Dead Silence - 5/10

The Great Wall - 4/10 

TV

Andor - 9/10 - Impeccably written within an inch of it’s life, and has just as strong visuals to go along with it. 

House of the Dragon - 8/10 - Continues to deliver, I am finding myself wishing for more scope, not just to the story as a whole but also the locations.

The Rings of Power - 8/10 - Very much sold on this show. I love the world, the visuals and Galadriel. Playing guess the Sauron every week is fun.

All or Nothing: Arsenal - 7/10 - Good inside look, I am finding myself pretty aware of the formula as I watch and wanting something more.

She Hulk - 7/10 - Another fun Marvel show, this one has an edge of understanding it’s a TV show and not a 6 hour movie. 

I've also been catching up on a lot of Jackie Chan films lately which I'll share my thoughts on when I reach the end of my run.

• Like 1

The Jackie Chan Watch

Recently I caught up on a lot of Jackie Chan films. The man is truly a master of action cinema so it was about time. Quickly I realised how little I’d actually seen. With the only Hong Kong films I’d been exposed to being First Strike and Who Am I airing on Channel 4 which now only exist as vague childhood memories. Initially I wasn’t going out my way to cover a huge chunk of Jackie’s filmography, checking out the few that were available on streaming. But after getting hooked, I ultimately committed to purchasing a good chunk of them which had really loving and faithful remasters/releases from Eureka and 88 Films. They’ve really made me a stickler for seeing some of these films in the best way possible. My white whale is Drunken Master II which doesn’t seem to have a decent UK release; at least for the original Hong Kong cut. 

My personal standouts were the unofficial Three Dragons Trilogy (think Edgar Wright’s Three Flavours Cornetto Trilogy) which is made up by Project A, Wheels on Meals, and Dragons Forever. The common element across these films are that they star childhood friends Jackie Chan, Yuen Biao, and Sammo Hung in the leading roles, all of whom have electric chemistry together. Especially amazing is the final fight between Jackie and Benny ’The Jet’ Urquidez in Wheels on Meals, possibly one of the greatest one-on-one fights put to celluloid. The comedy and martial arts are really at their finest in this set of films. 

The other standout was the Police Story Trilogy, basically Jackie Chan's answer to western 80’s cop action films. The safety of that structure allows the plot and stakes to have greater importance than some of the more comedic/slapstick heavy Jackie Chan films (Don’t worry there’s still some hilarity to be found). Police Story 3: Supercop was my personal favourite and features some of the best action and stunt work you’ll ever see. It’s got the biggest variation in set pieces (branching out from largely martial arts focused action), the final act alone has cars, motorcycles, trains, helicopters all taking part. It puts most Hollywood films to shame in terms of sheer spectacle. You’ve also got Michelle Yeoh going stunt-for-stunt against Jackie, and absolutely stealing the show. 

A Jackie Chan film is a pretty sure bet of a guaranteed good time. I’ve found that even in some of the lesser Jackie Chan films the action is always pushing itself to be more inventive. You get refined, big-budget versions of gags found in his earlier work and entirely new ones as well. You can see how much work him and his team are putting in to give the audience the most entertaining film experience possible. 

My current ranking of all Jackie Chan films I’ve seen:

Amazing

Police Story 3: Supercop

Wheels on Meals

Police Story

Dragons Forever

Project A 

Great

Rush Hour 

Armour of God II: Operation Condor

Drunken Master

Project A Part II

Very Good

Crime Story

Shanghai Noon

Police Story 2

Rush Hour 2

Miracles: The Canton Godfather 

Mr. Nice Guy

Decent

Shanghai Knights

Armour of God

The Foreigner

The Fearless Hyena

Meh 

City Hunter

Rush Hour 3 

The Karate Kid

Stay Clear

Around the World in 80 Days

The Protector

Hopefully some titles get better releases in the future and I’ll have a mini-run of Drunken Master II, Rumble in the Bronx, First Strike, and Who Am I? But for now I’m pretty happy with the journey I’ve taken. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, FilmFincher said:

The Jackie Chan Watch

Recently I caught up on a lot of Jackie Chan films. The man is truly a master of action cinema so it was about time. Quickly I realised how little I’d actually seen. With the only Hong Kong films I’d been exposed to being First Strike and Who Am I airing on Channel 4 which now only exist as vague childhood memories. Initially I wasn’t going out my way to cover a huge chunk of Jackie’s filmography, checking out the few that were available on streaming. But after getting hooked, I ultimately committed to purchasing a good chunk of them which had really loving and faithful remasters/releases from Eureka and 88 Films. They’ve really made me a stickler for seeing some of these films in the best way possible. My white whale is Drunken Master II which doesn’t seem to have a decent UK release; at least for the original Hong Kong cut. 

My personal standouts were the unofficial Three Dragons Trilogy (think Edgar Wright’s Three Flavours Cornetto Trilogy) which is made up by Project A, Wheels on Meals, and Dragons Forever. The common element across these films are that they star childhood friends Jackie Chan, Yuen Biao, and Sammo Hung in the leading roles, all of whom have electric chemistry together. Especially amazing is the final fight between Jackie and Benny ’The Jet’ Urquidez in Wheels on Meals, possibly one of the greatest one-on-one fights put to celluloid. The comedy and martial arts are really at their finest in this set of films. 

The other standout was the Police Story Trilogy, basically Jackie Chan's answer to western 80’s cop action films. The safety of that structure allows the plot and stakes to have greater importance than some of the more comedic/slapstick heavy Jackie Chan films (Don’t worry there’s still some hilarity to be found). Police Story 3: Supercop was my personal favourite and features some of the best action and stunt work you’ll ever see. It’s got the biggest variation in set pieces (branching out from largely martial arts focused action), the final act alone has cars, motorcycles, trains, helicopters all taking part. It puts most Hollywood films to shame in terms of sheer spectacle. You’ve also got Michelle Yeoh going stunt-for-stunt against Jackie, and absolutely stealing the show. 

A Jackie Chan film is a pretty sure bet of a guaranteed good time. I’ve found that even in some of the lesser Jackie Chan films the action is always pushing itself to be more inventive. You get refined, big-budget versions of gags found in his earlier work and entirely new ones as well. You can see how much work him and his team are putting in to give the audience the most entertaining film experience possible. 

My current ranking of all Jackie Chan films I’ve seen:

Amazing

Police Story 3: Supercop

Wheels on Meals

Police Story

Dragons Forever

Project A 

Great

Rush Hour 

Armour of God II: Operation Condor

Drunken Master

Project A Part II

Very Good

Crime Story

Shanghai Noon

Police Story 2

Rush Hour 2

Miracles: The Canton Godfather 

Mr. Nice Guy

Decent

Shanghai Knights

Armour of God

The Foreigner

The Fearless Hyena

Meh 

City Hunter

Rush Hour 3 

The Karate Kid

Stay Clear

Around the World in 80 Days

The Protector

Hopefully some titles get better releases in the future and I’ll have a mini-run of Drunken Master II, Rumble in the Bronx, First Strike, and Who Am I? But for now I’m pretty happy with the journey I’ve taken. 

Police Story and Drunken Master II are my fav. 

• Like 1

Decided every October I was gong to marathon an entire horror franchise. This year was Texas Chainsaw Massacre. So to recap...

The OG: Was afraid I was not going to be into it for the longest time, because I felt the ensemble wasn't interesting, and I didn't get the hype. But then when Sally got kidnapped, and it all clicked. It's truly nerve-wracking and a lot of it comes from the cinema verité and low budget feel. Like I'm truly there and being chased by Leatherface. I legit needed a breather.

TCM 2: It's really fun to see Hooper take this concept and make it so off the rails. It's wildly funny, but still gnarly and gross, plus this has the benefit of more likable lead characters. If there weren't some real drag-worthy moments, this could have been superior to the first.

TCM 3: I like Ken Foree. I like baby Viggo Mortensen...that's about it lol

The Next Generation: Worthless. It's kind of interesting I guess to see Kim Henkel make fun of his own movie and do the Scream thing pre-Scream, but it's not very funny and it has atrocious acting, even from Renee and Matthew. There's nothing worth watching.

The Platinum Dunes remake: It's pretty neat. Lot of cool departures from the original that make it its own thing, while also having a lot of reverence to the source material. It looks nice too, courtesy of Daniel Pearl doing this thing. R. Lee Ermey the GOAT

The Beginning: It's so horribly shot and framed and the torture porn stuff, while fitting, is too gratuitious and overbearing even for a franchise as gross as this. It being a prequel is also stupid, especially because they hype up Leatherface's origin story...only for it to be a thing for like two minutes. Dumb! Stupid! I hate it!

Texas Chainsaw 3D: The ugliest film of the bunch visually and it has some of the dumbest plot twists and contrivances in this entire franchise. Alexandra Daddario supposedly being in her 40s is just LOL-tastic. But it hits the right spots in the "so bad it's good" territory that it's worth a watch just to enjoy how stupid it can get. If you like watching bad movies, this is worth a watch.

Leatherface: It's forgettable and Leatherface's backstory is pretty boring, but it looks nice and I liked some of the performances. It's the most "there" film of the bunch.

TCM parentheses 2022: It's stupid, misguided drivel at best and downright offensive and exploitative at worst. The whole "Gen Z and millienials sure are TRIGGERED" drivel between this and Bodies Bodies Bodies really needs to die like right now, because this ain't good enough to frame a movie around. The whole legacyquel thing is also handled embarrassingly.

Most of these ain't good, but I had fun all the same, and I wouldn't have seen some of the movies that I liked if I didn't do this marathon, so I can't wait to do this next year. Maybe Halloween, now that the DGG trilogy's all done?

With that, next on the Halloween docket...probably my David Lynch marathon? Yeah, we'll go with that. Also have some more Universal Monster movies to watch and some cool vampire movies on Criterion Channel. That's gonna be great.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1