charlie Jatinder

Name & Rate the Movies/TV You've Watched.

just rewatched them all over the last few weeks and saw the new one today so i'm doing this

1. magnolia

2. punch drunk love

3. the master

4. boogie nights

5. phantom thread

6. inherent vice

7. there will be blood

8. licorice pizza

9. hard eight

• Like 1

MOVIES

NWH 8/10 A Little gimicky at points but tom holand really steps up this film ,all my issues with  mcu spidey were handled and he gets a great conclusion to his arc for the trilogy. Defoe and molina where particularly great  in this. this felt more like a spiderman film than an mcu film which i really liked and the third act was not all just cgi battle and it felt more personal and it just came down to peter making a choice and his morality being tested. BW and shang chi third acts failed in their third acts by reducing them to cgi fests.

Matrix 4: 6/10 loved the moments btn neo and the shrink ,generally like the meta references but they take it over board with ripping off matrix 1 even recreating scenes from the movie which just pulled me out. action was meh. dissapointing film.

arrival rewatch 9.5/10

SERIES

Succession S3 . on par with season 2 for me 9.5/10

yellowjackets 8.5/10

Station 11 :phenomonal one of the best limited series and a unique and more positive and heartfelt spin on the post apocalyptic sub genre. some of the best use of foreshadowing i have seen in a tv show and they are a lot of subtlities that can enhance the story on rewatchabilty 9.7/10

Archive 81 8/10

cobra kai season 4 9/10

expanse season 6 8,5/10 :a good conclusion to the series overall

mayor of kings town 7.5/10

• Like 3

I went and saw Red Rocket tonight. I guess the local theaters must be starved for something - anything - new with their decision to open that and C'mon C'mon this weekend.

It's absolutely going to be a polarizing movie. Either you're going to be onboard with an unflinching examination of an unrepentant asshole who is utterly oblivious to how terrible he is, or you're gonna tap out, like, 15 minutes in. (And for anyone who was uncomfortable with Licorice Pizza: hoo boy, you're not gonna want to touch this thing with a ten-foot pole.) Like Sean Baker's other films, it does a great job of exploring a cross-section of society that doesn't get much attention, but it does so in a more subversive and challenging manner than in Tangerine or The Florida Project. If those films ultimately wanted viewers to understand and (at least somewhat) sympathize with their protagonists, this one wants viewers to squirm and pity the pathetic nature of its protagonist.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Webslinger said:

I went and saw Red Rocket tonight. I guess the local theaters must be starved for something - anything - new with their decision to open that and C'mon C'mon this weekend.

It's absolutely going to be a polarizing movie. Either you're going to be onboard with an unflinching examination of an unrepentant asshole who is utterly oblivious to how terrible he is, or you're gonna tap out, like, 15 minutes in. (And for anyone who was uncomfortable with Licorice Pizza: hoo boy, you're not gonna want to touch this thing with a ten-foot pole.) Like Sean Baker's other films, it does a great job of exploring a cross-section of society that doesn't get much attention, but it does so in a more subversive and challenging manner than in Tangerine or The Florida Project. If those films ultimately wanted viewers to understand and (at least somewhat) sympathize with their protagonists, this one wants viewers to squirm and pity the pathetic nature of its protagonist.

Honestly I was more uncomfortable with Licorice Pizza than this. The film is fully aware and makes it 100% obvious that Mikey Saber's actions are abhorrent and wrong. Licorice Pizza never feels explicit and ends on a weird note that just makes it feel a little more weird IMO

On 1/29/2022 at 7:19 AM, Eric Riley said:

Honestly I was more uncomfortable with Licorice Pizza than this. The film is fully aware and makes it 100% obvious that Mikey Saber's actions are abhorrent and wrong. Licorice Pizza never feels explicit and ends on a weird note that just makes it feel a little more weird IMO

See, I wasn’t really bothered by Licorice Pizza after the first scene. Especially on a repeat viewing, I felt like PTA made it clear that Alana saw it as platonic (despite some questionable moments), and she’s ultimately the one driving the relationship, despite whatever Gary seems to think. That said, I totally get what you’re saying about Red Rocket in comparison: it’s abundantly clear that what Mikey is doing is just objectively horrendous and further evidence of how pathetic and exploitative he is. I could see where the total certainty in messaging would make it easier to accept that this movie is doing.

JANUARY

Movies

Current Releases

Nightmare Alley - 9/10 - Absolutely engrossing, beautiful to look at, one of Cooper’s most compelling performances. A reminder of what a masterful director Del Toro is. 

Licorice Pizza - 8/10 

Parallel Mothers - 8/10 - I’m not entirely sure what it amounted to towards the end but I cried for maybe 30 mins during it and was emotionally drained after. Cruz was fantastic. 

Belfast - 8/10 - Charming, sweet and delightful

Boiling Point - 8/10 - A pretty riveting 90 mins, I found some subplots a little too cute but otherwise captures a chaotic energy. 

Scream (2022) - 7/10 

The 355 - 3/10 

Older Releases 

The Deer Hunter - 10/10

The Master - 9/10 

Raging Bull - 9/10 

United 93 - 9/10 - Didn’t feel hokey or overcooked, Greengrass is a master of tension and I think this conveys the fear and uncertainty of that day in a way I didn’t really understand before. 

The Rescue (2021) - 9/10 

Dirty Dancing - 8/10 - Is this one of the sexiest film’s ever? Also why are original songs not this good anymore! What are you doing Hollywood!

Raw - 8/10 

10 Thing I Hate About You - 8/10 

Beverly Hills Cop - 8/10 

Isle of Dogs - 8/10 

Deja Vu - 8/10 - Oozes cool, makes zero sense plot wise but it has all the flair and deliciously indulgent filmmaking you want from a Tony Scott film. 

Jennifer’s body - 7/10 

The Lost Daughter - 7/10 

A Cure for Wellness - 7/10 - Visually stunning but predictable

Executive Decision - 6/10 - Nice model work at the end. 

Vantage Point - 4/10 - Neat idea but largely falls flat. The Forest Whitaker subplot had me rolling.

The Protege - 4/10 - It’s kind of weird how much chemistry Maggie Q and Michael Keaton had.

The Hitman’s Wife’s Bodyguard - 3/10 - A few chuckles but otherwise amounts to incessant screaming for 2 hours. 

TV

Yellowjackets S1 - 9/10 

What We Do In the Shadows S3 - 9/10 

Harry Potter 20th Anniversary: Return to Hogwarts - 8/10 

The Witcher S2 - 7/10 - Watched about half the season, don’t intend to finish it. It’s fine, definitely an improvement on S1 but doesn’t offer enough to stick with it. 

• Like 2

January

Movies

1. Harry Potter 20th Anniversary: Return to Hogwarts
  2. Joji - 8/10
  3. The Great Indian Kitchen - Never thought watching dishes being done be great cinema, but it is. 9/10.
  4. Minnal Murali - An Indian superhero movie done right. Would have preferred it a bit short though. 6/10.
  5. #Home - First The Great India Kitchen and now this. Mollywood is making me feel like a terrible person. I will do better. The film is good. It's all about Oliver Twist. 8/10.
  6. Ghostbusters: Afterlife - Has some fun scenes but overall feels like nothing. 4/10.
  7. Chandigarh Kare Aashiqui - Indian movie on a love story of trans-woman and a straight zym freak man with starring Ayushmann Khurana. He has made many such off-beat movies with social taboo subjects and most of them are good. This is among those. 7/10.
  8. Pushpa: The Rise - The biggest local hit of last year. The film is a craze in India at moment. If you want to see a stylist multi-genre Indian commercial potboiler. I recommend it. 7/10.
  9. Belfast - Feels like a Taika Waititi movie. The ending made me sad for a wee bit. 7/10.
  10. Eternals - Rewatch and I still love it.  8/10.
  11. Four to Dinner - 7/10
  12. The Innocent (Norwegian) - 5/10
  13. Forgotten - It's a Korean movie. Korea probably make best films in world right now, they need more hype. 8/10.
  14. The Battle at Lake Changjin - I just hope the sequel don't make to top 100 worldwide grossers because I don't wanna watch it. 0/10.
  15. Rush - I think I would have liked it more if I had watched it before Ford vs Ferrari. Now that is a perfect movie, this falls way under. 6/10.
  16. Akhanda 
  17. Spider-Man: Into the Spider-verse - Still works. 9/10.
  18. Spider-Man 2 - Ok this is better than Spider-man. Until last month I always had 1st one over this, but last rewatch I didn't like first one that much, this improved. 3rd best Spider-man movie for me. 8/10.
  19. Maanaadu - 7/10
  20. Ustad Hotel - 5/10
  21. Kumbalangi Nights - The first 2/3rd of film are average feel good movie stuff, the third act is something else. I am gonna like it more in rewatch. 7/10.

New Movie of the Month - The Great Indian Kitchen its on Amazon. No spoilers. Go blind in it. Watch it.

Also #Home on Amazon Prime.

cc @lorddemaxus (If you haven't watched Joji, Kumbalangi Nights and The Great Indian Kitchen. Do it.

• Like 3

Venom 2 is the first movie in a long time that I just gave up on halfway. Even when I'm not enjoying a movie I'll still usually finish it at some point if I've made it that far, but I rented it off redbox and just turned it off and returned the disc halfway. I thought the first one was an enjoyable enough B-movie, idk if this one was actually any worse but I was not in the mood for this kind of stupid last night.

Army of the Dead is a chore and not very good so far. Got like an hour left and probably will finish it sometime this weekend when I'm drunk.

Pig I liked quite a bit, not what I was expecting but I was impressed, good movie.

• Like 1

1. Soylent Green - 10/10
  2. Who Framed Roger Rabbit? - 10/10
  3. Licorice Pizza - 9/10
  4. The Novice - 7/10
  5. Dead Pigs - 8/10 More Dead Pigs Cathy Yan and less Birds of Prey Cathy Yan please!
  6. Midnight Run - 9/10
  7. Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah - 8/10
  8. Targets - 10/10 RIP Peter Bogdanovich. The OG Once Upon a Time in Hollywood and one of the best director debuts...ever?
  9. Ocean's Eleven - 9/10
  10. Godzilla and Mothra: The Battle for Earth - 6/10
  11. Labyrinth of Cinema - 9/10 
  12. Memoria 8/10
  13. C'mon C'mon 6/10
  14. Little Fish - 8/10
  15. Revenge of the Pink Panther - 5/10
  16. Godzilla vs. MechaGodzilla II - 7/10
  17. Mothra - 7/10
  18. A Quiet Place Part II - 7/10
  19. Inland Empire - 9/10
  20. Rear Window - 10/10
  21. Godzilla vs. SpaceGodzilla - 6/10
  22. Destroy All Monsters - 8/10
  23. The Tragedy of Macbeth - 7/10
  24. Invasion of Astro-Monster - 7/10
  25. The Matrix Resurrections - 10/10 Third time seeing it and I love it more and more each time.
  26. Nobody - 9/10 Closest we have to a modern day Cannon film.
  27. Godzilla vs. MechaGodzilla - 8/10
  28. Terror of MechaGodzilla - 9/10
  29. Godzilla, King of the Monsters! (1956) - 4/10 
  30. Godzilla 1985 - 5/10 It's not actually bad but it's pointless to watch now when the original Japanese cut is readily available and much better.
  31. Drive My Car - 10/10
  32. Godzilla (1998) - 3/10
  33. Robocop - 10/10
  34. Godzilla 2000: Millennium - 6/10
  35. Shin Godzilla - 10/10
  36. Drive, He Said - 4/10
  37. Dirty Work - 9/10
  38. The Woman Who Ran - 7/10
  39. Godzilla vs Destoroyah - 10/10 Very few series ever get an ending THIS great, comes together full circle to the original so well.
  40. Scream (1996) - 7/10 Revisted this for the first time since middle school and ah still not my fave, New Nightmare remains the best meta Wes Craven film. Onto the sequels for the first time!
  41. To Live and Die in L.A. - 10/10
  42. A Safe Place - 2/10
  43. Ace in the Hole - 9/10
Edited by TheDude391
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, TheDude391 said:
  1. Soylent Green - 10/10
  2. Who Framed Roger Rabbit? - 10/10
  3. Licorice Pizza - 9/10
  4. The Novice - 7/10
  5. Dead Pigs - 8/10 More Dead Pigs Cathy Yan and less Birds of Prey Cathy Yan please!
  6. Midnight Run - 9/10
  7. Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah - 8/10
  8. Targets - 10/10 RIP Peter Bogdanovich. The OG Once Upon a Time in Hollywood and one of the best director debuts...ever?
  9. Ocean's Eleven - 9/10
  10. Godzilla and Mothra: The Battle for Earth - 6/10
  11. Labyrinth of Cinema - 9/10 
  12. Memoria 8/10
  13. C'mon C'mon 6/10
  14. Little Fish - 8/10
  15. Revenge of the Pink Panther - 5/10
  16. Godzilla vs. MechaGodzilla II - 7/10
  17. Mothra - 7/10
  18. A Quiet Place Part II - 7/10
  19. Inland Empire - 9/10
  20. Rear Window - 10/10
  21. Godzilla vs. SpaceGodzilla - 6/10
  22. Destroy All Monsters - 8/10
  23. The Tragedy of Macbeth - 7/10
  24. Invasion of Astro-Monster - 7/10
  25. The Matrix Resurrections - 10/10 Third time seeing it and I love it more and more each time.
  26. Nobody - 9/10 Closest we have to a modern day Cannon film.
  27. Godzilla vs. MechaGodzilla - 8/10
  28. Terror of MechaGodzilla - 9/10
  29. Godzilla, King of the Monsters! (1956) - 4/10 
  30. Godzilla 1985 - 5/10 It's not actually bad but it's pointless to watch now when the original Japanese cut is readily available and much better.
  31. Drive My Car - 10/10
  32. Godzilla (1998) - 3/10
  33. Robocop - 10/10
  34. Godzilla 2000: Millennium - 6/10
  35. Shin Godzilla - 10/10
  36. Drive, He Said - 4/10
  37. Dirty Work - 9/10
  38. The Woman Who Ran - 7/10
  39. Godzilla vs Destoroyah - 10/10 Very few series ever get an ending THIS great, comes together full circle to the original so well.
  40. Scream (1996) - 7/10 Revisted this for the first time since middle school and ah still not my fave, New Nightmare remains the best meta Wes Craven film. Onto the sequels for the first time!
  41. To Live and Die in L.A. - 10/10
  42. A Safe Place - 2/10
  43. Ace in the Hole - 9/10

Love the Godzilla binge watch. I tried to revisit all of them a couple of years ago but I think some of the lesser ones are better left as a nostalgic memory so I ended up skipping to the standouts. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, FilmFincher said:

Love the Godzilla binge watch. I tried to revisit all of them a couple of years ago but I think some of the lesser ones are better left as a nostalgic memory so I ended up skipping to the standouts. 

I had started a marathon of the series from before King of the Monsters dropped and got halfway through before burning out completely ha. So I finally finished the Heisei era and the rest now finally! Plus since it had been a few years I revisited the older entries that I was hazy on and wanted to give another chance. 

If curious, I got my full ranking here: https://boxd.it/fafj4 

• Thanks 1

saw a couple new things

belle - loooooved this. some of the best animation i've seen recently. great soundtrack. teared up not gonna lie. i've been reading up and it seems a lot of people are pretty critical of the narrative and yeah i can understand that and why people might think it's rushed but also those people are heartless losers.

being the ricardos - "that's funny" "that was a good line" "great timing" - every character in this movie any time someone says a quip or a joke. i get it's a movie about comedy writers but please shut the fuck up. feels masturbatory. this movie was exactly what i expected it to be ultimately, he studio 60'd I Love Lucy. Kidman and Bardem are both pretty good but the former can't sell the actual in-show comedy scenes at alllll. she's just a bad comic actress (except to die for).

parallel mothers - pretty decent. mid tier almodovar. cruz is great like she usually is in his films. i was very into it for like 90 minutes but kinda lost me in the final stretch, i didn't get what the two story threads had to do with each other at all. there's gotta be some thematic link that i didn't quite crack. i was also holding in a shit through most of the last act so that probably effected my enjoyment too idk.

• Like 3

Free Guy. Amazing concept kinda wasted on a harmless ho hum movie.

Ghostbusters: Afterlife. Just bad and lifeless. I still defend some early Jason Reitman movies but I feel there's no coming back for him. 

The High Note. A movie with Dakota Johnson and Tracee Ellis Ross that exists. Only memorable thing about is a ridiculous final twist.

The Worst Person in the World. Best movie of the year hands down imo. All three main performances are absolutely sensational. It's funny, heartbreaking, romantic and I think it captures something unique. 

Scream (2022). Fun, prob better than 3 and 4, still nowhere close to the first two seminal films of the franchise. 

Bringing Up Baby. Very good and so intense, I had no idea every character in it is an insane person.

Being the Ricardos. Miserable movie, both Kidman and Bardem are legit bad in it.

The Tragedy of Macbeth. Very good looking movie especially the witches bits have a big wow factor but at the same time I just don't care that much about another true to the original text Macbeth adaptation. Make him a small time gangster or sth and then we 're talking. Denzel kills it as expected.

Gone Girl. masterpiece.

The Social Network. Every time there's the scene where the lawyer asks who was the movie star at Harvard, I always say out loud to the TV "Natalie Portman". Don't know why.

• Like 1

watched yellowjackets quite liked it. the politician and melanie lynsky storylines take ages to actually get interesting but the rest of it works for me. christina ricci is the best part and the younger version of her is the best part of the flashbacks too. LOVED the cliffhanger at the end.

Edited by CoolioD1
  • Like 1

I don’t watch a lot of TV but I finished rewatching The Young Pope and this is definitely one of my favourite shows alongside Twin Peaks The Return. Just a really unique experience both absurdly funny and transcendently beautiful. I’m not a religious man but if Jude Law were pope, I’d def join. 

If anyone here has seen it, any recommendations for something along the same lines? More director driven arthouse TV.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheDude391 said:

I don’t watch a lot of TV but I finished rewatching The Young Pope and this is definitely one of my favourite shows alongside Twin Peaks The Return. Just a really unique experience both absurdly funny and transcendently beautiful. I’m not a religious man but if Jude Law were pope, I’d def join. 

If anyone here has seen it, any recommendations for something along the same lines? More director driven arthouse TV.

Quite a few miniseries are one director across the whole series. The Young Pope/The New Pope is still in my watchlist so couldn't give any personal recommendations but give a browse through the former programming HBO miniseries list there's sure to be some good picks there.

• Like 1