charlie Jatinder

Name & Rate the Movies/TV You've Watched.

Though if we are talking TV, apart from my annual Treehouse of Horror marathon, I am watching Disney's Gargoyles for the first time since it...kinda fits the season. This show rocks. It's still crazy this aired around the same time as Darkwing Duck and Timon and Pumbaa, and it's a shame Disney hasn't done something as dramatic and gothic as this in their TV animation department, because I'm digging the vibes and characters hardcore. Oh, and the What We Do in the Shadows series. That's pretty funny.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eric the Crocodile said:

The OG: Was afraid I was not going to be into it for the longest time, because I felt the ensemble wasn't interesting, and I didn't get the hype. But then when Sally got kidnapped, and it all clicked. It's truly nerve-wracking and a lot of it comes from the cinema verité and low budget feel. Like I'm truly there and being chased by Leatherface. I legit needed a breather.

I struggled with the same thing with that first one but I never quite got over the hill where it all clicked. Watching it in the middle of the day probably didn't help! I've been thinking of giving it another shot recently.

20 hours ago, Eric the Crocodile said:

I don't have Paramount+ and I don't have any plans to do so outside of maybe when the new Fraiser show comes out. So no. 🙃

That’s when you gotta sail the seven seas 😉

TP as a whole is my fav Lynch stuff (esp The Return) so def check it out when you got the time!

• Like 1

Watched guillermo del toro's cabinet of curiosities over the halloween weekend. The episode directed by the Mandy guy was easily my favourite, it's also the only one where the director retained some sense of style and doesn't have that Netflix original sheen. The David Prior, Jennifer Kent and Ana Lily Amirpour episodes are all good too though. the rest are bad. . 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CoolioD1 said:

Watched guillermo del toro's cabinet of curiosities over the halloween weekend. The episode directed by the Mandy guy was easily my favourite, it's also the only one where the director retained some sense of style and doesn't have that Netflix original sheen. The David Prior, Jennifer Kent and Ana Lily Amirpour episodes are all good too though. the rest are bad. . 

I'm 4 episodes in so far and enjoying it, it's a little overwritten at times but I'm a sucker for short horror stories and there's a nice variation to them. The David Prior episode is my favourite so far though, I just watched The Empty Man a few weeks ago as well. Looking forward to the rest of the episodes. 

• Like 1

It's been a while.

MOVIES

Avatar rewatch (8.5/10): still holds up well enough for me.

Titanic rewatch (9/10): rose/jack is a bit cheesy at points but the last hour is still quite great and heart wrenching. This movie is timeless.

Raiders of the lost ark (7.5/10)

Temple of doom(9/10).

Indiana Jones movies really stretch that PG 13 rating .

Black Adam -7/10

Wanted  - 6/10

Hunger games rewatch -7/10

Catching fire - 9/10

Mocking jay pt1 -7/10

Harry Potter series

Philosophers stone -7.5/10

Chamber of secrets - 7/10

Prisoners of Azkaban -8/10

Goblet of fire.  - 9/10

Order of the Phoenix -7/10

Half blood prince.  - 7.5/10

D.hallows pt 1.      -7/10

D.hallows pt 2.      -8.5/10

Not an amazing series but a solid overall,main leads are likable . Standout character was Snape and the reveal in d.hallows part 2 is the best moment in the whole series . It's the gold standard for how to do a plot twist with the character.

SERIES

Humans(8.5/10): one of the best sci Fi series out there. It handles the whole theme of identity pretty well.

Bosch S1-S2 (8/10) . Solid show really enjoying it.

Terminal list (7.5/10): starts slow but plot ramps up and it was fun derivative television.

House of the dragon(8.5/10): thought GOT franchise was dead, think again. Some great acting, paddy better get an Emmy , stunning production design and lots of dragons.Good to be back in westeros.

Rings of power (6-6.5/10). Ok show held back by mediocre writing overall. Lots of mystery boxes only to get to a predictable boring conclusion. The show is rings of power but the whole rings plotline is given so little time and finale is just rushed and undermines the competency of the characters involved. Hope season 2 is a little faster.

Ms marvel (8.5/10): yes finally a first fully realized MCU Disney+ show. Though it suffers from MCU Disney+ finale woes, the series was fun overall. Kamala is fun,likable and relatable and so are her friends, love her family and how it was presented. Looking forward to seeing the character in the marvels.

She hulk (3/10) : First episode was just a rushed mess to me, enjoyed 2 and 4 and mildly enjoyed 8 but the ending to that episode was meh. The rest of the episodes ranged from meh to really bad.

Comedy was hit and miss for me. Humour was at its best with Wong and madisyn and never reached that peak again.

She hulk was fun but Jane alter ego was basically stereotype who reduced her self worth to " need a boyfriend" which is not necessarily bad but it's all basically what her charcter is. All the lawyer stuff is mostly done by she hulk.

Most of the characters feel paper thin even for a sitcom.

Finale was just terrible. Basically meta for meta's sake and throws all the previous plotlines outside the window. Basically becomes MCU self referential instead of giving it's main character a resolution.

Overall the showrunners were like just make a sitcom and get the most trendy thing on internet today and forgot the writing part needed . Basically the whole show was the writers patting themselves on the back instead of creating a well realized character and wholesome show.

Andor 9/10: fucking finally ,the starwars I've really wanted. Feels like ANH to me. Sure we know where the general story is heading but first show in a while where I don't know what each episode is going to bring.

Acting, plotting and production design are all great. Love how the plotting is deliberate and has an endgoal and not just fanservice or action sequence for action reasons.

Loving the series. Best Disney+ starwars show imo.

• Like 1

OCTOBER

It’s the spooky season! So a lot of horror. 

Movies

Current Releases

The Banshees of Inisherin - 8/10 - I preferred In Bruges but this is still one of the films you should check out this year. I thought Kerry Condon was particularly mesmerising. 

The Woman King - 8/10 

Smile - 8/10 - Brings an air of reverence back to what usually turns into a trashy teen horror movie. It does go how you expect, a bit of It Follows meets The Ring but it’s properly refined in it’s technique. 

Rosaline - 7/10 - Very cute, Kaitlyn Dever is star. Put her in more stuff Hollywood.

Wendell & Wild - 7/10 

Black Adam - 4/10 - Mind-numbing, poorly edited and The Rock is at his least charismatic. Brosnan and some of the JSA stuff was neat but this is as generic as you get. 

The Invitation (2022) - 3/10

Halloween Ends - 3/10 

Grimcutty - 2/10 - Watched this because it had a big old practical entity in the trailer. There’s a weird focus on ASMR and Youtubing as part of the main character’s journey that I found more disturbing than any of the actual scares in the film. 

Older Releases 

Some Like It Hot - 10/10 - A constant barrage of laugh out loud moments. Truly timeless. 

Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance - 10/10 - Has anyone explored what revenge means better in cinema than Park Chan-Wook.

Memories of Murder - 10/10

The Blues Brothers - 9/10 - The repeating Carrie Fisher gag killed me, and what an ending.

Trick ‘r Treat - 8/10 - So playful and fun. Great practical effects as well. 

Little Shop of Horrors - 8/10 

The Meaning of Life - 8/10 - The most Gilliam-esque of the Python films, reminded me more of Brazil! than anything else. 

The Empty Man - 8/10 - A killer opening prologue that might be some of the best modern horror content you’ll ever see. 

The Brood - 8/10 - Cronenberg's Marriage Story.

The House of the Devil - 8/10

John Carpenter’s Vampires - 7/10 

The Crazies (1973) - 7/10

Creep (2014) - 6/10 - Logic falls apart in the last half in a frustrating way but a creepy central performance from Mark Duplass make it worth watching. 

Without a Paddle - 5/10 

Friday the 13th (2009) - 3/10

Gamera: Guardian of the Universe - 6/10

Gamera 2: Attack of the Legion - 7/10

Gamera 3: Revenge of Iris - 8/10

I have no nostalgia for Gamera like I do with Godzilla but this series won me over as it went. All of them are of a significantly higher quality than a majority of Godzilla films. The performances are stronger, production is great, characters repeat across the trilogy which creates a real connection and sense of continuity. Each one sets up a mystery to uncover that’s genuinely intriguing. They largely feel set in the real world (outside of an anime style subplot in 3) and there’s an effort to shoot the monsters in a more grounded way that does it’s best to avoid devolving into two guys in suits wrestling each other awkwardly. 

Baahubali: The Beginning - 7/10

Baahubali 2: The Conclusion - 8/10

At first ending the first Baahubali with a flashback to characters we don’t know as well seemed like an odd choice, only there to give us a big battle scene. Little did I know this would end up being the most compelling part of the story. The whole thing is a historical/fantastical epic with Game of Thrones levels of betrayal and manipulation while also being an unashamed 80’s style action film culminating in two shirtless hulking men duking it out. What more could you want. 

TV

Andor - 9/10 

House of the Dragon - 8/10 - Some stellar dragon action in that final episode, the season lost me a little in the middle but once the time jumps settled down again I was back in. 

The Rings of Power - 8/10 - Puts out positive, hopeful vibes that I’m into.

Cabinet of Curiosities - 8/10

The Midnight Club - 8/10 - A sincere, heartfelt meditation on death and living your life. Stronger when it’s not trying to be scary and unfortunately sets up an unnecessary second season. 

Werewolf By Night - 7/10 

She Hulk - 7/10 

• Like 2

On 11/2/2022 at 5:04 AM, FilmFincher said:

OCTOBER

It’s the spooky season! So a lot of horror. 

Movies

Current Releases

The Banshees of Inisherin - 8/10 - I preferred In Bruges but this is still one of the films you should check out this year. I thought Kerry Condon was particularly mesmerising. 

The Woman King - 8/10 

Smile - 8/10 - Brings an air of reverence back to what usually turns into a trashy teen horror movie. It does go how you expect, a bit of It Follows meets The Ring but it’s properly refined in it’s technique. 

Rosaline - 7/10 - Very cute, Kaitlyn Dever is star. Put her in more stuff Hollywood.

Wendell & Wild - 7/10 

Black Adam - 4/10 - Mind-numbing, poorly edited and The Rock is at his least charismatic. Brosnan and some of the JSA stuff was neat but this is as generic as you get. 

The Invitation (2022) - 3/10

Halloween Ends - 3/10 

Grimcutty - 2/10 - Watched this because it had a big old practical entity in the trailer. There’s a weird focus on ASMR and Youtubing as part of the main character’s journey that I found more disturbing than any of the actual scares in the film. 

Older Releases 

Some Like It Hot - 10/10 - A constant barrage of laugh out loud moments. Truly timeless. 

Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance - 10/10 - Has anyone explored what revenge means better in cinema than Park Chan-Wook.

Memories of Murder - 10/10

The Blues Brothers - 9/10 - The repeating Carrie Fisher gag killed me, and what an ending.

Trick ‘r Treat - 8/10 - So playful and fun. Great practical effects as well. 

Little Shop of Horrors - 8/10 

The Meaning of Life - 8/10 - The most Gilliam-esque of the Python films, reminded me more of Brazil! than anything else. 

The Empty Man - 8/10 - A killer opening prologue that might be some of the best modern horror content you’ll ever see. 

The Brood - 8/10 - Cronenberg's Marriage Story.

The House of the Devil - 8/10

John Carpenter’s Vampires - 7/10 

The Crazies (1973) - 7/10

Creep (2014) - 6/10 - Logic falls apart in the last half in a frustrating way but a creepy central performance from Mark Duplass make it worth watching. 

Without a Paddle - 5/10 

Friday the 13th (2009) - 3/10

Gamera: Guardian of the Universe - 6/10

Gamera 2: Attack of the Legion - 7/10

Gamera 3: Revenge of Iris - 8/10

I have no nostalgia for Gamera like I do with Godzilla but this series won me over as it went. All of them are of a significantly higher quality than a majority of Godzilla films. The performances are stronger, production is great, characters repeat across the trilogy which creates a real connection and sense of continuity. Each one sets up a mystery to uncover that’s genuinely intriguing. They largely feel set in the real world (outside of an anime style subplot in 3) and there’s an effort to shoot the monsters in a more grounded way that does it’s best to avoid devolving into two guys in suits wrestling each other awkwardly. 

Baahubali: The Beginning - 7/10

Baahubali 2: The Conclusion - 8/10

At first ending the first Baahubali with a flashback to characters we don’t know as well seemed like an odd choice, only there to give us a big battle scene. Little did I know this would end up being the most compelling part of the story. The whole thing is a historical/fantastical epic with Game of Thrones levels of betrayal and manipulation while also being an unashamed 80’s style action film culminating in two shirtless hulking men duking it out. What more could you want. 

TV

Andor - 9/10 

House of the Dragon - 8/10 - Some stellar dragon action in that final episode, the season lost me a little in the middle but once the time jumps settled down again I was back in. 

The Rings of Power - 8/10 - Puts out positive, hopeful vibes that I’m into.

Cabinet of Curiosities - 8/10

The Midnight Club - 8/10 - A sincere, heartfelt meditation on death and living your life. Stronger when it’s not trying to be scary and unfortunately sets up an unnecessary second season. 

Werewolf By Night - 7/10 

She Hulk - 7/10 

Im not much of a Gamera guy in general but that Heisei trilogy is some of the best the kaiju genre has to offer.

• Like 1

NOVEMBER

Movies

Current Releases

Barbarian - 9/10 - Ridiculously and infectiously fun, a proper horror rollercoaster. 

Bones and All - 9/10

Weird: The Al Yankovich Story - 8/10

Resurrection - 8/10 - Rebecca Hall knocks it out of the park again, Tim Roth is creepy as hell. 

The Menu - 8/10

Hellraiser - 7/10 - Very slickly directed but needed more bite and depravity for a Hellraiser film.

All Quiet on the Western Front - 7/10 

The Sea Beast - 7/10 

Don’t Worry Darling - 5/10

Older Releases 

Escape From Alcatraz - 9/10 

Mindhorn - 8/10

Gone in Sixty Seconds (2000) - 6/10

47 Ronin - 2/10 

TV

Andor - 10/10 - Show of the year?

Cabinet of Curiosities - 6/10 - Started off so promising and had a run of just middling episodes. 

• Like 2

i got two free months of apple TV so decided to give it a spin. the browser version kinda ran like shit for me. and the library definitely isn't big enough to justify me paying for it after the trial there's just a couple things i wanna check out.

anyway I watched Causeway and it was decent. Kind of felt like a first draft movie but Jennifer Lawrence is really good in it @The Futurist

I really want to push my WB/Disney countdowns coming in the new year, so might as well use this thread to push some of the films on those lists and recommend some to y'all.

December 2022

Warner Bros

I Am Legend - 6/10

The Bodyguard - 4/10

The Jazz Singer - 5/10 - Was largely into the basic barebones of the story and Al Jolson is great in the part...but the blackface. 😬 Made even worse that it's an integral part of the story and it condones that Jakie's blackface performance is a good thing. That the only way he can find success is to perform as a Black man. That the only way to assimilate and fit into this world is to hide your Jewish lifestyle and perform and mock the Black man. It's just vile, even with the "it was a different time" excuse.

Little Caesar - 7/10 - Very bare-bones and rudimentary direction-wise, but it's still a solid plot and Edward G. Robinson works well in the lead role

The Public Enemy - 8/10 - Better than Little Caesar in every possible way, and much of it is because of James Cagney's Tom Powers, who is a fascinating epitome of all things greedy and cruel, with incredible sunken eyes that are haunting to look at. The ending's an all-timer too.

Christmas Vacation - 6/10

Gremlins - 9/10

Christmas in Connecticut - 7/10 - Follows the Hallmark Christmas movie format to a tee. Not a bad thing, because it's a pretty sweet romance and witty with its screwball humor.

Eyes Wide Shut - 9/10

I Am a Fugitive From a Chain Gang - 10/10 - I honestly had no idea I would love this as much as I did. Despite its Great Depression release, it's a film that is highly critical of the prison system, the abuse given towards war veterans, and is largely anti-authority in a way that is shocking to see from a 1932 film. It really shows what we lost when the Hays Code was enforced.

42nd Street - 7/10 - Not a masterpiece, but a witty and fun look at the entertainment biz with some Busby Berkeley magic at the end. Not a fan of all the Philadelphia slamming however 😕

Gold Diggers of 1933 - 10/10 - You got screwball laughs, hard-hitting commentary about the Great Depression and the faults of the government at that time, and some incredible moments of splendor from Busby. And unlike most Busby features where the plot isn't all that great, but it's only a means to an end for some incredible visuals at the end, the story here is really strong and fun and all the "talky" bits are frequently hilarious. It's fantastic stuff.

Footlight Parade - 8/10 - Plot's not the best, and the "Shanghai Lil" segment is pure cringe, but it's pretty funny, very engaging, has that amazing Human Waterfall sequence, and it's all carried by James Cagney's excellent performance. He really could do everything.

Disney

The Santa Clause - 5/10

The Preacher's Wife - 7/10 - I miss Whitney. :(

Pocahontas - 3/10

Black Panther: Wakanda Forever - 7/10

The Vanishing Prairie - 5/10 - Pretty basic and overlong, but I guess still adequate enough as a 50s nature documentary

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea - 9/10 - It's absolutely gorgeous, with tons of cool underwater footage and special effects, and it features a murder's row of great performers, with James Mason in particular as the standout as the cold and calculated Captain Nemo. Really loved this one.

Atlantis: The Lost Empire - 6/10 - This really should not have been sub-90 minutes. Just adding in a half-hour probably could have made this awesome, but now everything is undercooked and lukewarm, with only the ensemble cast standing out.

Princess Mononoke - 10/10

The Muppet Christmas Carol - 9/10 - Watched the extended edition, which...yeah, it really does make the whole piece better.

Beauty and the Beast: The Enchanted Christmas - 2/10

Belle's Magical World - 1/10 - I watched both of these sequels with my best friend as part of "Bad Movie Night". And um...yeah, these were rough. Belle's Magical World is up there as WOAT material tbh

Disenchanted - 4/10

Davy Crockett: King of the Wild Frontier - 6/10 - It's super cheesy and aged super poorly for all the obvious reasons (though not as bad as you might think), so it's not for everybody. But I liked the corniness, the pretty wilderness landscapes and even the guy playing Davy. He plays Davy as being so laid-back despite all his insane and crazy accomplishments that it's actually kind of funny. Don't know if that was the intention, but I got a smile out of it.

Lady and the Tramp - 10/10 - Saw it earlier in 2022, but it really clicked with me way more on this rewatch in terms of the characters and themes and plot details. It's also soooooooooooooooo cute!

The Nightmare Before Christmas - 8/10 - People have to stop gaslighting people into saying this is a Halloween movie lol

• Like 1

DECEMBER

Movies

Current Releases

Guilmero Del Toro’s Pinnochio - 10/10 - The level of artistry, soul and depth is so palpable that you can't help but be moved.

Decision to Leave - 9/10

Glass Onion - 9/10 

Aftersun - 8/10 

Fire of Love - 8/10 

She Said - 8/10 

Pearl - 8/10 

Violent Night - 8/10 

Avatar: The Way of Water - 7/10 - I have some issues by Cameron's ability to create an undeniable theatrical experience is the reason I'll probably have made 3+ trips to the cinema when all is said and done. 

Mad God - 7/10 

Where the Crawdads Sing - 6/10 

The Greatest Beer Run Ever - 5/10 

Troll - 3/10 

Older releases 

Red Rocket - 9/10

Dodgeball - 8/10 

The Punisher (2004) - 7/10 

Welcome to the Jungle/The Rundown - 5/10 

TV

Who Killed Santa? A Murderville Murder Mystery - 8/10 

1899 - 7/10 

The Guardians of the Galaxy: Holiday Special - 7/10 

Wednesday - 6/10 

On 11/1/2022 at 1:50 AM, Liiviig 1998 said:

It's been a while.

MOVIES

Avatar rewatch (8.5/10): still holds up well enough for me.

Titanic rewatch (9/10): rose/jack is a bit cheesy at points but the last hour is still quite great and heart wrenching. This movie is timeless.

Raiders of the lost ark (7.5/10)

Temple of doom(9/10).

Indiana Jones movies really stretch that PG 13 rating .

Black Adam -7/10

Wanted  - 6/10

Hunger games rewatch -7/10

Catching fire - 9/10

Mocking jay pt1 -7/10

Harry Potter series

Philosophers stone -7.5/10

Chamber of secrets - 7/10

Prisoners of Azkaban -8/10

Goblet of fire.  - 9/10

Order of the Phoenix -7/10

Half blood prince.  - 7.5/10

D.hallows pt 1.      -7/10

D.hallows pt 2.      -8.5/10

Not an amazing series but a solid overall,main leads are likable . Standout character was Snape and the reveal in d.hallows part 2 is the best moment in the whole series . It's the gold standard for how to do a plot twist with the character.

SERIES

Humans(8.5/10): one of the best sci Fi series out there. It handles the whole theme of identity pretty well.

Bosch S1-S2 (8/10) . Solid show really enjoying it.

Terminal list (7.5/10): starts slow but plot ramps up and it was fun derivative television.

House of the dragon(8.5/10): thought GOT franchise was dead, think again. Some great acting, paddy better get an Emmy , stunning production design and lots of dragons.Good to be back in westeros.

Rings of power (6-6.5/10). Ok show held back by mediocre writing overall. Lots of mystery boxes only to get to a predictable boring conclusion. The show is rings of power but the whole rings plotline is given so little time and finale is just rushed and undermines the competency of the characters involved. Hope season 2 is a little faster.

Ms marvel (8.5/10): yes finally a first fully realized MCU Disney+ show. Though it suffers from MCU Disney+ finale woes, the series was fun overall. Kamala is fun,likable and relatable and so are her friends, love her family and how it was presented. Looking forward to seeing the character in the marvels.

She hulk (3/10) : First episode was just a rushed mess to me, enjoyed 2 and 4 and mildly enjoyed 8 but the ending to that episode was meh. The rest of the episodes ranged from meh to really bad.

Comedy was hit and miss for me. Humour was at its best with Wong and madisyn and never reached that peak again.

She hulk was fun but Jane alter ego was basically stereotype who reduced her self worth to " need a boyfriend" which is not necessarily bad but it's all basically what her charcter is. All the lawyer stuff is mostly done by she hulk.

Most of the characters feel paper thin even for a sitcom.

Finale was just terrible. Basically meta for meta's sake and throws all the previous plotlines outside the window. Basically becomes MCU self referential instead of giving it's main character a resolution.

Overall the showrunners were like just make a sitcom and get the most trendy thing on internet today and forgot the writing part needed . Basically the whole show was the writers patting themselves on the back instead of creating a well realized character and wholesome show.

Andor 9/10: fucking finally ,the starwars I've really wanted. Feels like ANH to me. Sure we know where the general story is heading but first show in a while where I don't know what each episode is going to bring.

Acting, plotting and production design are all great. Love how the plotting is deliberate and has an endgoal and not just fanservice or action sequence for action reasons.

Loving the series. Best Disney+ starwars show imo.

Star Wars Peaked in Quality with the Masterpiece The Last Jedi, Finally watched Andor and is on a third or 4th/5th place of overall Star Wars media for me. Andor is really good. Really good. Have to decide yet wich place i put it. 

What i feel to write now order could change later, or no order at all. 

1st Place Over everything on Cinemas and TV this year combined. 

Severance MV5BMjkwZjcwMGQtNDAzOC00YjJiLThiYTgtNWU3

Seriusly WATCH THIS SHOW, is a slow burn at the begining but worth it, it is on Apple TV+. Repeat, Watch Severance.

Severance 10/10.

2nd Place.

Wakanda Forever, really emotional movie, and ended phase 4 along with the Guardians Holiday Special on a high note.

3rd Place. Andor, a great star wars show, is not The Last Jedi or Empire Strikes Back, but is on the level of Rogue One, the film it leads to. 

4th. Place

Love and Thunder, yeah, if you watch it like a romamtic comedy is great, best romantic comedy of the year (just that it was made by Marvel) , has the chessiness of a good one, and is enterteining. 

Honorable Mention 

Avatar 2, a very solid movie, and is clear why it is making the money is making, the character dynamics are good, and like a James Cameron movie does what is supposed to do. 

Note.: Watched tons of other things but dont want to continue writing more on this, so... .

Edited by StreamBO
  • Thanks 1

Gato con Botas 2 was cute. I love the more cartoony, stylized look that this movie and others are going for now, rather than trying to push the CG closer and closer towards photorealism like it seems Pixar is trying to do. I noticed it during Toy Story 4, the environments, backgrounds and effects animation (rain, fire, etc) were all amazing, but it looks closer to stuff you'd see in a polished, big budget live action movie rather a cartoon which removes some of the charm for me.

White Noise I really didn't like at all, thought it was honestly pretty bad. Maybe it works better in book form, but here it just felt like a ton of ideas slammed together and attempt to be linked in ways that don't really work or make sense. The academic type characters Baumbach likes to write can be a bit grating at times, and here it's just ridiculous. The movie is satirizing these pretentious, academic people, but it also seems to treat their rambling, monologuing nonsense about life, death, grocery stores and whatever the fuck like there's some wisdom to it and it starts to get unbearable. Greta Gerwig's character is supposed to be this uneducated homemaker but she talks exactly the same way as all his other pretentious characters.

Edited by MOVIEGUY