charlie Jatinder

Name & Rate the Movies/TV You've Watched.

MAY

Movies

Current Releases

Top Gun: Maverick - 9/10 - Encapsulates everything I could possibly want from a blockbuster. The action is top notch, the jokes are great, little bit of romance and the right pitch of earnestness. It looks stunning and puts Cruise’s movie star charisma front and centre. It’s the reason we see films on the big screen. 

Everything Everywhere All At Once - 9/10 - A film the radiates sheer joy and filled with propulsive energy. Like Edgar Wright and the Wachowski’s made a baby. Fully takes advantage of it’s multiversal concept, has some of the best action of the year, best jokes of the year and most heartfelt moments of the year. 

Doctor Strange and the Multiverse of Madness - 7.5/10 - Solid Marvel flick elevated by Sam Raimi’s direction which shines through just enough amongst the rote machine. 

Older Releases 

The Piano - 9/10 - Longing and passion are built into every fibre of this film. I'm beginning to think I've got a thing for stories about restrained love.

Planes, Trains & Automobiles - 9/10 - Pitch perfect, Hughes just knows how to balance those genuinely sincere moments with some of the funniest gags put to celluloid. 

Bringing Out the Dead - 8/10 - Stunning night time New York photography. Interesting character study about a man who is just sinking further into the depths of this all consuming world. 

The Princess and the Frog - 7/10 - Cute Disney movie. Too much animal stuff for my tastes. 

Assault on Precinct 13 - 6/10 - Passable remake, has some Tony Scott lite directing that I’m nostalgic for.

Gods of Egypt - 3/10 - Has there ever been a bigger charisma vacuum than this film. So many awkward jokes. 

Piranha 3D - 3/10 - Not nearly as schlocky or self aware as you want it to be. Attempts at zany B-movie energy are fleeting. 

TV

Barry - 9/10 - Still great, love the show isn’t afraid of running out of steam and willing to change things up. Latest episode had a top notch action set piece.

Love, Death & Robots S3 - 8/10 - Much better than S2 which I still liked and has a couple or real standouts for the whole show, but I would have liked a little more variation.

Stranger Things S4 Vol 1 - 8/10 - A little slow to start, but really got into the groove of it after a few episodes. Delivers on the Stranger Things promise of mindless 80’s pastiche blockbuster fun. Occasionally gets bogged down when it takes itself and it’s characters too seriously.  

Obi-Wan Kenobi - 7/10 - Yeah it’s pretty decent. The action/chases are really sloppy but liking everything else. Story is a little too familiar. 

• Like 1

in a cruise mood and since it was leaving uk netflix i rewatched Last Samurai which i hadn't seen since it was newish. I remember kinda loving it at the time but not sure it's held up for me. Sort of bland and drags along in spots. Cruise and Watanabe are still good together though. 

also this era of zimmer scores was def the best. the post synth pre nolan stuff. thin red line, pirates, gladiator and this are his top tier.

• Like 1

MAY MOVIES:

A Simple Plan - 9/10 One of Sam Raimi's best. Stunning work and just devastating all around, career best performances from Bill Paxton and Billy Bob Thornton.

Spider-Man 3 - 7/10

For Love of the Game - 4/10 

The Gift - 6/10

Oz: The Great and Powerful - 5/10

Drag Me To Hell - 8/10

Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness - 6/10 Kinda boring but shot with greater flair than most MCU films, doesn't really come alive until the third act which I loved. God tier post credits scene though!

Eastern Promises - 8/10

Transformers: Dark of the Moon - 9/10 

Magnolia - 5/10 Simply too long and I only found half the storylines compelling, the only PTA I dislike.

Chasers - 3/10 What a depressing end to Dennis Hopper's directing career, just a shitty sex comedy remake of The Last Detail? Bizarre.

The Taking of Pelham One Two Three (1974) - 9/10 Greatest ending shot in cinematic history.

The Punisher (2004) - 6/10 Not as awesome as the '89 Dolph film, not as bad as its reputation. Should've been a Roy Scheider old man Punisher film instead.

John Wick - 9/10

ABBA: The Movie - 7/10 Great to see in theatres, stunning 35mm footage of the concerts.

Pain & Gain - 9/10 

Turning Red - 8/10

World's Greatest Dad - 8/10

The Master - 8/10 Would've loved to have been a fly on the wall when PTA showed this to Tom Cruise.

Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans - 9/10

Tango & Cash - 8/10 Fun fact: this is the last film to ever come out in the 1980s. Genuinely kicking myself I never saw this as a kid, absolutely up my alley. Kurt and Sly teaming up...against Jack Palance hamming it up to high heaven? Total bozo energy all around from the absurd action to the non stop cheesy one liners.

Sonic the Hedgehog 2 - 7/10

Oki's Movie - 8/10

Inland Empire - 9/10 The 4k restoration still looks like shit ha.

In Front of Your Face - 8/10 Hong Sang-soo becoming a fascinating new discovery for me, forces me to rethink the barometers of a "good" movie. So unfiltered and scuzzy from a technical standpoint (over exposed backgrounds, wind hitting mics, camcorder shot) and yet so compelling in its writing and presentation.

Top Gun: Maverick - 10/10 Greatest blockbuster since Fury Road. Thrilling beyond belief and really emotional as well (at least for me), actually feels like an 80s film vs the cheap pastiches we often see. 

Inherent Vice - 9/10 Will have to rewatch but maybe my favourite PTA after Phantom Thread? Like the Big Lebowski and Long Goodbye had a baby.

The Fly (1986) - 9/10

Crimes of the Future 7/10 Super awesome to see this at the NA premiere. Loved everything in it...just wanted more of everything. Felt a bit underwhelmed by the end as it kind of collapsed under the weight of ALL the ideas it was tackling resulting in it being a tad undercooked.

Top Gun: Maverick (2nd watch) - 10/10

• Like 1

MOVIES

Sonic 2 -7.5/10

Everything everywhere all at once 9.5/10 :  phenomenal film,creative weird ,inventive and yet so emotional. Such films are a rarity in hollywood today. Movie of the year so far.

Ambulance  9/10 . Wow bay's best movie since transformers 1. All his excessives  are here but they are perfect for this sort of  film. Gonzalez was pretty good and liked her arc , This is the best third act of  his movies 
I've watched so far.

Startek 79 - 7/10

Wrath of khan - 8.5/10

Uncharted.  -6.5/10

Marvel phase 2 rewatch.

Ironman 3(B) - 7/10. Alittle better than 2 but still lackluster , mandarin reveal halt any momentum this movie has going. 

TDW( B-) 6.5/10 Most direction less movie in the mcu,villains and the whole plot with the ether makes no damn sense. But won't lie, like some visuals and action in here. Understand why it's regarded as mcu's weakest but it's just not mine.

Winter soldier (A+) 9.5/10. Loved this movie on first viewing,loved it way more on second viewing. Incredible action sequences, tight and we'll realized script and really good performances all around.

Rodgers and natasha have great friendship and chemistry .

Only negative,was the third act could have been better

GOTG (A+) 9.5/10: yeah still my best mcu movie, gunn knocked this out of the park. Most balanced mcu movie in terms of humour and emotions. Great team dynamic and they bounce off each other really well adding to that a kick ass soundtrack.

AOU B+(7.5/10) : some good scenes and ideas in this movie but it gets bogged down by juggling too much and setting up way too much. Ultron is wasted. 
Party at avengers headquarters and farm scenes are great and some of the best in the mcu. Opening action sequence is great too but unfortunately the rest of the movie doesn't work quite as well.

Ant-man A(8.5/10) : yeah villian is boring but this imo is one of mcu's most underrated movies.
Lots of good comedic timing in this. Hope, hank and Scott have really good chemistry. This alongside ironman have really good well defined  superhero training montages. Has some really good creative action sequences.(suitcase fight was fantastic and I think Edgar wright must have had an influence on it)

SERIES

Stranger things 8.6/10. Abit rough on the ages but it stranger things back to form. 2 and 3 really good repetitive and the plot got stagnant but we finally got some answers this season.

Strange new worlds 9/10.

Halo 6.5/10.

• Like 2

binged peacemaker over the long weekend. it's funny, but sometimes i wish james gunn would just let a joke lie y'know? if he had directed anchorman one of the lines like "60% of the time it works everytime" would've led to five minutes of them yelling at each other about how that makes no sense. sometimes it's funnier to let the dumb gag go unremarked upon. 

• Like 2

Finished season 1 of Barry, this show is great. The scene with him and Chris in the car is one of the best scenes I've ever seen on TV. My only complaint is that

Spoiler

it stretches the plausibility of him not being caught pretty damn far. Like how does nobody suspect the weird ex-Marine with anger issues that keeps talking about killing people of being the killer? And that last scene, while incredibly acted, was kinda ridiculous story-wise. I was expecting them to reveal it was a fantasy the whole time but I guess not.

Watched Kairo the other day. Cool premise and had some really memorable/unsettling scenes, but just like with pretty much any movie marketed as "OMG SCARIEST MOVIE EVER" it never lives up. Also had that thing where I couldn't tell if some of the acting was bad or it was just a language/cultural barrier.

• Like 1

watched cha cha real smooth. i loved cooper raiff's first film Shithouse, this was not really on that level but still pretty good like a 7/10. i'm not going to lie if i were to write a movie where i'd play the main character i might make it about dakota johnson making out with me and calling me cute 10,000 times and literally every other character complimenting me about how nice and cool i am in every scene. It's like if tommy wiseau was actually a pretty good filmmaker.

• Like 2

I'm working my way through past Luhrmann movies ahead of seeing Elvis tomorrow night, so I rewatched Romeo + Juliet and Moulin Rouge!

Romeo + Juliet is a whole lot of goofy fun. The Zefferelli version is technically superior, but this was the one I always showed back when I taught the play since: a.) it's so literal about the dialogue (right down to Mercutio plopping his heel on a table when saying "By my heel, I care not") and b.) it's such a WILD movie that whether students love or hate it, they damn well pay attention to it. Bonus points for Pete Postlethwaite showing up and approaching a glorified MTV adaptation just the same as he would have if it had been a prestigious stage production.

Moulin Rouge! remains amazing. Watching these two films in as many days, it really feels like the tonal shifts, anachronistic decisions, and experimentations in Romeo + Juliet were some sort of warmup or testing grounds for what Luhrmann would do with a bigger budget, more talented cast, and more creative freedom in Moulin Rouge! It contains my favorite performances from Nicole Kidman and Ewan McGregor, and I always imagine that Jim Broadbent's Oscar win that year was actually for this (where he rules), not Iris.

• Like 1

watched through the new stranger things in the last week. man finn wolfhard was basically the main kid on this show in the first couple seasons but can't help but think he got benched with a who cares subplot because he's the one who's grown to be kinda funny looking/awkward presence on camera.

• Like 1

Just finished Barry season 3. Good god this show was already dark from the beginning but this whole season was just brutal. Incredible show though, 100% deserves all the hype. I'm gonna watch this Beavis & Butthead movie to take a break from the heaviness.

Haven't watched the last episode of The Boys but I'm enjoying the season. Frenchie and Kimiko need to stop though, just all of it. Especially Frenchie

• Like 1

On 6/24/2022 at 9:46 PM, CoolioD1 said:

watched through the new stranger things in the last week. man finn wolfhard was basically the main kid on this show in the first couple seasons but can't help but think he got benched with a who cares subplot because he's the one who's grown to be kinda funny looking/awkward presence on camera.

Definitely the weak point of the season was that subplot, had some funny moments but the shootout was the only great thing to come out of it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheDude391 said:

Toronto finally got a screening of RRR and WOW it did not disappoint. It's kinda ruined the rest of the year now, nothing will compete. Absolutely lived up the hype and exceeded it across the board.

10/10

I literally just watched it yesterday as well. Other blockbuster franchises should take note on how to have this much fun. Best bromance in years as well. 

• Like 1

JUNE

Movies

Current Releases

The Black Phone - 8/10 - If Misery and It had a baby. Well crafted, suitably tense. Excellent performances from the child actors and has a surprising amount of character development.

Happening - 8/10 - If Never Rarely Sometimes Always turned up the stakes to 100. It sets out to deliver some of most anxiety inducing scenes of the year, to the point you’ll retreat back into the depths of your seat. 

RRR - 8/10 - What a joyful experience, great action with the ultimate bromance at the centre of it.  

Men - 8/10 - Creepy throughout, captivating Jesse Buckley performance. Garland occasionally indulges a little too much in his eccentricities. Has a grotesquely body horror focused final act that tickled me.

Hustle - 7/10 - Simple, straightforward sports movie that absolutely hits all the right spots. Sometimes that’s all you need.  

Chip ’n Dale: Rescue Rangers - 7/10 - Surprising spiritual successor to Who Framed Roger Rabbit. Lot’s of meta gags and inside jokes that had me rolling. 

Jurassic World Dominion - 5/10 - Doubles down on the stupid. Exposition is really lazy. Call backs feel like an SNL sketch. However I did get to watch Raptors in a chase through the streets of Malta which is just as fun as it sounds. 

Spiderhead - 5/10 - The kind of film you’ll just forget you watched. Tonally unsure of itself. Hemsworth was fun.

Interceptor - 2/10 - Straight to DVD quality film. Attempts to have semi-decent fight scenes but that’s the only redeeming aspect. 

Older Releases 

Moulin Rouge! - 9/10 - Sweeping, romantic, and bubbling with energy. The chemistry between Kidman and McGregor is top tier and the love song sequence is inspired filmmaking. 

Beverly Hills Cop II - 7/10 - Not as funny as the first but still has a lot going for it, felt a little tamer. Story was paper thin.

Australia - 6/10 - While Baz does pull of some truly stunning set pieces, the romance was underwritten and the plot loses momentum after the cattle drive. The kid was a standout. 

The Italian Job (2003) - 6/10 - Pretty decent heist movie if you take it as a standalone. 

Blue Thunder - 5/10 - A dreary conspiracy film that has some of the best helicopter action put to film in the final act but that’s not enough to save it. 

TV

Barry S3 - 10/10 - Rollercoaster of a season, best thing on TV right now.

We Own This City - 10/10 - This is the closest you’ll ever get to watching new episodes of The Wire, almost acting as an epilogue to the city of Baltimore. Feels more authentic than ever. Jon Bernthal gives an all time iconic TV performance. 

The Boys S3 - 8/10 - Continues to deliver on the gore, absurdity and laughs. More Jensen Ackles is never a bad thing.

Westworld S4 - 8/10 - It’s back baby! Solid start to the season, nothing mind-blowing but appropriate sense of mystery and intrigue. Lets hope it holds. 

Ms. Marvel - 8/10 - Has the most assertive direction of any of the Marvel shows, and is also the most relatable.

Prehistoric Planet - 8/10 - Really great work overall, especially the visuals. I found the episodes to be somewhat repetitive.

Obi-Wan Kenobi - 5/10 - Would have preferred this as a movie. It feels so small, empty and un-cinematic. Gradually lost me along the way. 

• Like 2

June Movies:

Kindergarten Cop - 8/10

Knock Off - 8.5/10 An absolutely bug nuts insane Hong Kong action film with a coked out of his mind Van Damme. The camera work in this is totally unhinged and chaotic in the best way possible. Highly recommended for action fans.

Jurassic Park - 10/10

Top Gun: Maverick (3rd time) - 10/10

Bloodsport - 7/10

Kickboxer - 6/10 Greatest dance scene in a movie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CE8XKeN0zk4 

Star Wars Episode IV - 10/10 First time I've ever seen this in theatres, special edition stuff is lame yeah but what a magical experience to see this with an audience.

Transformers: Age of Extinction - 7/10 Most gorgeously shot of the franchise, contains some of the most psycho unhinged stuff I've ever seen in a blockbuster. Craziest TF film aside from Revenge of the Fallen but this didn't totally fry my brain like that did!

Punisher: War Zone - 7.5/10 Like a Cannon film crossed with the Schumacher Batman, a cartoonishly violent and neon comic book world that's among the most comic booky CBMs I've ever seen. Really underrated Marvel film. The 80s Dolph Punisher is still my fav Punisher though.

5cream - 5/10

Grass - 8/10 My favourite Hong Sang-soo film yet!

The Lost World: Jurassic Park - 7/10 Easily the best JP sequel, franchise highlight set pieces and a great mean streak to the monster mayhem.

Young Mr. Lincoln - 8/10

13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi - 7/10

The Bad News Bears (1974) - 9/10

The Lost World (1925) - 6/10 If you're a big fan of the original King Kong, this is a great watch as you get to see the effects team prototype the techniques they'd later perfect.

Mad God - 8/10 An ode to creativity and imagination.

Jurassic Park III - 6/10 If only all the sequels were simple 90 min B movies like this.

3 Bad Men - 8/10

The Black Phone - 6/10

Jurassic World - 5/10

Transformers: The Last Knight - 6/10 Least fav of the Bayformers films but one of the most insane blockbusters ever made. On a technical level, this is just incredible, especially the third act but I would've preferred if this was just a King Arthur medieval fantasy film.

RRR - 10/10 Best film of the year, glad I held out to experience this with an audience. 

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom - 4/10 

Jurassic World Dominion - 3/10 Fool proof, slam dunk premise that still managed to fall on its face because they hired Colin Treverrow. Almost impressive how the team behind this managed to go with the most boring and stupid ideas possible at every turn. Studio shouldn't have cut the prologue.

Bumblebee - 7/10 

Pilgrimage - 8/10 Very underrated John Ford film, a redemption tale that withholds the redemption. Incredibly moving and powerful examination of grief and regret.

Transformers: The Movie (1986) - 6/10 The major tonal and stylistic influence on the Bay films...not that the fans will ever admit this .

TV Shows:

Obi-Wan Kenobi - 4/10 Bafflingly amateur on a production level and so clearly a movie's worth of story stretched to 6 hours. One of the big issues that plagues prequels is that you know the general outcome, who has to live and who has to die. So then why is the entire series predicated on whether or not these characters survive this situation? It saps the show of any tension when we know Kenobi/Leia/Luke/Uncle Owen/Vader, etc. are gonna be fine.

• Like 2

Canada FINALLY got the theatrical release of the new Directors Edition of Star Trek The Motion Picture and WOW. I admittedly love the theatrical cut too but this one improved it. I think it’s my fav Trek film now and it's the type of movie we would NEVER get anymore.

Edited by TheDude391