charlie Jatinder

Name & Rate the Movies/TV You've Watched.

Spent the last month filling in my John Carpenter and David Cronenberg blank spots.

Carpenter best to worst:

1. Big Trouble in Little China - 10/10
  2. The Thing - 10/10
  3. Prince of Darkness - 10/10
  4. Halloween - 10/10
  5. The Fog - 9/10
  6. Assault on Precinct 13 - 9/10
  7. In the Mouth of Madness - 9/10
  8. Vampires - 8/10
  9. Escape from New York - 8/10
  10. They Live - 8/10
  11. Christine - 8/10
  12. Escape from LA - 7/10
  13. Starman - 7/10
  14. Dark Star - 6/10
  15. Ghosts of Mars - 5/10
  16. Village of the Damned - 5/10
  17. Memoirs of an Invisible Man - 4/10
  18. The Ward - 4/10

Cronenberg best to worst:

1. eXistenZ - 9/10
  2. The Fly - 9/10
  3. Videodrome - 9/10
  4. M. Butterfly - 9/10
  5. Crash - 9/10
  6. Crimes of the Future - 9/10
  7. Naked Lunch - 8/10
  8. Cosmopolis - 8/10
  9. The Dead Zone - 8/10
  10. Eastern Promises - 8/10
  11. A History of Violence - 8/10
  12. Dead Ringers - 7/10
  13. Maps to the Stars - 7/10
  14. Rabid - 6/10
  15. The Brood - 5/10
  16. Scanners - 5/10
  17. A Dangerous Method - 5/10
  18. Spider - 5/10
  19. Shivers - 5/10
  20. Fast Company - 4/10
  • Like 1

I rewatched Almost Famous last night. Still just the theatrical cut even though I have the 4K director's cut sitting around too, but it was late enough that I didn't feel like I had the full 2:42 to devote to it. Even so, I still think it's Cameron Crowe's masterpiece. I love that as specific as it is about music, it captures the essence of being a fan of an art so well that it could easily be applied to fandom of different media too. I also always forget how good Frances McDormand is in it between repeat viewings - she makes those phone conversations feel both funny and impactful in about equal measure.

finished tokyo vice, glad it's getting a second season it's renewal actually surprised me at the time cuz it felt like no one was talking about it (and i see it's started filming but with HBO Max i suppose it's not a guarantee to happen). But the finale was the weakest episode i think, just throwing a bunch of cliffhangers at the wall, some of them totally out of nowhere, felt a little desperate. But also no one wants to admit it but this is another thing that Ansel Elgort is lowkey great in.

Anyway also watched Shazam 2, which yes is quite mediocre but not quite the black hole of despair that Black Adam was. Hey, I laughed a couple times and it feels like the first movie in over a decade to not completely waste Djimon Hounsou. He was the best part! He's so much fun in this! Gets a lot more screen time than he did in the first one. Zachary Levi still annoying though.

• Like 1

Okay, getting this to the right thread this time, LOL.

Went and saw Air theatrically last night and reviewed in the RTM section. A highly enjoyable return to form for Affleck in the director's chair.

I also had Moneyball on as background noise last night. Even though there's always a little part of me who wants to say "Well, actually..." and point out how the A's had tons of homegrown talent the movie completely glosses over (all of whom were big enough stars the year before that no one out west was sleeping on them), it's such an entertaining and well-crafted film that I still get caught up in it every time.

And today, I caught the little-seen 2013 Danny Boyle film Trance. What a bananas movie -  but with how confidently and stylishly Boyle presents it, I was never bored. Kinda wild that we got two twisty thrillers with major psychologist characters in early 2013 (the other one being Side Effects, which I also rewatched fairly recently).

On 4/7/2023 at 11:21 AM, Joel M said:

Also binged White Lotus season 2. Still don't get the breathless hype for this show, but I liked it more than season 1.

I feel like the show's insane appeal can be accurately summed it with "every single thing Jennifer Coolidge says or does."

Didn't think the Sicily season was as strong as the Maui one but still had a great ensemble that mixed knowns with unknowns (the actress that played Lucia would make for a perfect Bond Girl imo) and Mike White has an undeniable way with sharp dialogue. Intrigued to see where the upcoming Thailand season goes and, of course, the actors that will make up the ensemble. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

Today's episode of Succession best episode of TV since the Better Call Saul finale. Also been seeing a lot of Peep Show recently (like saw an hour's worth today?). I guess my life revolves around Jesse Armstrong now.

Totally agree about Succession, that episode is going to sweep everything at the next Emmy’s. So glad I watched it before I saw the horrifically inconsiderate Deadline headline as well.

New Succession was an all-timer

saw Five Easy Pieces the other day, which surprisingly links up pretty well with the episode on a thematic level lol. Really great character drama. Kind of wanna check out nicholson’s other low-key work soon.

saw dick tracy baked out of my mind and that shit rocked so much. Disney should do a nostalgia legacy sequel for that soon, bring beatty and the whole gang back - maybe dicaprio can play the new baddie. 

• Like 1

just watched all of Beef over the last week and i thought it was pretty great. Might be my  favourite show Netflix has ever done.

and the soundtrack was built for young me. Smashing Pumpkins, Incubus, System of a Down, Bjork, limp bizkit

Edited by CoolioD1

I rewatched Logan Lucky a couple times this week - once while working, then again while showing it to a class. Such a ridiculously fun movie where everyone in the insanely talented cast is clearly having a blast with their respective quirks.

I also rewatched Steve Jobs ahead of the next Blank Check episode. Man, talk about another movie where everyone in the cast is on fire. Fassbender and Winslet were my winners in their respective categories in 2015, and this rewatch was absolutely a confirmation of why.

11 minutes ago, Webslinger said:

I rewatched Logan Lucky a couple times this week - once while working, then again while showing it to a class. Such a ridiculously fun movie where everyone in the insanely talented cast is clearly having a blast with their respective quirks.

I also rewatched Steve Jobs ahead of the next Blank Check episode. Man, talk about another movie where everyone in the cast is on fire. Fassbender and Winslet were my winners in their respective categories in 2015, and this rewatch was absolutely a confirmation of why.

I didn't feel like doing ALL of Boyle for this series of BC but which are the top 3 or 4 that you'd absolutely recommend?

1 hour ago, TheDude391 said:

I didn't feel like doing ALL of Boyle for this series of BC but which are the top 3 or 4 that you'd absolutely recommend?

My top 4 from Boyle are Slumdog Millionaire, Steve Jobs, Trainspotting, and 127 Hours, all of which I had seen before the series, with 28 Days Later following closely in fifth. I feel like those films each capture something interesting and essential about Boyle’s style and sensibilities. Among first-time viewings, the ones I dug the most were Shallow Grave and Sunshine.

What I’d say I’ve enjoyed most about going through/back through all of Boyle’s films (except 28 Days Later, though I saw that it was made available to rent on Prime again a few weeks ago) is that even the misses are still really interesting to watch. Like, A Life Less Ordinary is far from a good movie, but it has so many WTF-level decisions that I still had some fun watching it and trying to figure out what they were thinking while making it.

• Thanks 1

Awesome thanks, added to the watchlist :)

20 hours ago, Webslinger said:

even the misses are still really interesting to watch

My fav part of doing director marathons, they really hone you in and make you appreciate even the misses because you see it within the wider framework of their filmography.

• Like 2

Me and a couple friends from my course got together and watched a double-bill of Braindead and The Evil Dead.

Braindead is f**king wild. Definitely the goriest film I've ever seen, and may ever see.

Edited by 35MM-18
  • Like 2

Bill Hader is killing it this season of Barry, both on camera and off.

Started Succession, only five episodes in but enjoying it so far.

Rewatching Adventure Time, still a great show.

In the home stretch of finishing the Sopranos. I don't have anything to say about this show that hasn't been said before, I just love the show, it's so damn good.

Finally got around to BEEF. I'm bound to love any show with sugar ray and smashing pumpkings in its soundtrack but it really was just incredible stuff; the final episode got me choked up at a lot of different times. Steven Yeun is probably the best actor under 40 rn.

• Like 2

Been trying to go through Joan Micklin Silver's filmography recently. Fantastic, underrated filmmaker.

Started watching her movie, Chilly Scenes of Winter and not only is it fantastic and incisive, but it also shows why 500 Days of Summer is a bad film made for kids. Only reason I'm bringing it up is because for some reason a lot of people my age hold it up with some kind of reverence eventhougg its a garbage representation of a realistic scenario.

• Like 1

If you liked Five Easy Pieces, I'd recommend The Last Detail and King of Marvin Gardens, they're not on par but similar vein of lowkey 70s drama with Jack.

On 4/11/2023 at 7:17 AM, TMP said:

New Succession was an all-timer

saw Five Easy Pieces the other day, which surprisingly links up pretty well with the episode on a thematic level lol. Really great character drama. Kind of wanna check out nicholson’s other low-key work soon.

saw dick tracy baked out of my mind and that shit rocked so much. Disney should do a nostalgia legacy sequel for that soon, bring beatty and the whole gang back - maybe dicaprio can play the new baddie. 

• Like 1