Eric Prime

The Batman | March 4, 2022 | Warner Bros. | Certified Fresh on RT | 7th Most Profitable Movie of 2023

I didn’t realize we were doing Wednesday night fan first imax screenings in Canada. Just noticed that now. Obviously that’s taken away quite a bit of early demand around me here (for normal preview night) cause I have like 3 imax screens in different theatres around me. 

1 hour ago, grim22 said:

Pretty clear sales trends in SoCal - IMAX and PLF are first preference and are filling up really well. Some IMAX are sold out again, AMC Dolby seems like second choice which are also selling out. Normal shows are slower but steady sales.

6pm and later shows are selling better than the 3pm shows (makes sense with people still being at work at that time), the 3pm sales will basically be a bonus for previews.

The Wednesday 7pm AMC Dolby shows are all pretty much gone in SoCal. Front rows only left.

So, good?

5 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

So, good?

Yes so far. If reviews and reactions are good as well, then it the upper limit keeps increasing. Most IMAX and PLF shows of 7pm and 11pm have sold out or just have the front rows left now in SoCal. 3pm ones are half to 75% sold out.

Normal showings are doing well as well. Overall, I think opening 3 hours have been better than BvS so far in SoCal. I remember BvS sold nothing outside the IMAX and PLF shows, will have to check my tracking sheets tomorrow and come up with the exact 24 hour comp.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, 21C said:

Really curious if reviews are really going to start dropping today.

3 weeks before release? would be a bad idea. By the time this film comes out, the audience would already be over it. 

They've been smart with their marketing thus far so I wouldn't expect the embargo to lift anytime before 24th.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TrevorBelmont9078 said:

3 weeks before release? would be a bad idea. By the time this film comes out, the audience would already be over it. 

They've been smart with their marketing thus far so I wouldn't expect the embargo to lift anytime before 24th.

There's appareantly no embargo.

Edited by 21C

Just now, 21C said:

There's appareantly no embargo.

They can impose one before the screening if need be. 3 weeks before for reactions may definitely be too early, especially with the Superbowl sucking up all oxygen this week.

Would be most effective having the social embargo on the 21st, its a Monday after a long weekend and people are looking for the next big thing. Follow that with a review embargo on the 28th or 1st for the final push.

1 minute ago, grim22 said:

They can impose one before the screening if need be. 3 weeks before for reactions may definitely be too early, especially with the Superbowl sucking up all oxygen this week.

Would be most effective having the social embargo on the 21st, its a Monday after a long weekend and people are looking for the next big thing. Follow that with a review embargo on the 28th or 1st for the final push.

A counterpoint to this is that you could argue that Joker, their most recent undeniable box office success, had a full embargo lifted a month before release because of the Festival Premiere, and if anything it helped the OW, didn't harm it.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Yes so far. If reviews and reactions are good as well, then it the upper limit keeps increasing. Most IMAX and PLF shows of 7pm and 11pm have sold out or just have the front rows left now in SoCal. 3pm ones are half to 75% sold out.

Normal showings are doing well as well. Overall, I think opening 3 hours have been better than BvS so far in SoCal. I remember BvS sold nothing outside the IMAX and PLF shows, will have to check my tracking sheets tomorrow and come up with the exact 24 hour comp.

2016 is too far back to be useful, the advance ticket buying habit was less widespread.

Similar opening to Batman Begins, this Batman will have to make people forget about the previous appearances of the Bat. The opening will clearly be higher than 80s, but i wouldn't not be surprised if it doesn't break out huge. As someone else asked, what's the hook?

Edited by Maggie
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Menor Reborn said:

2016 is too far back to be useful, the advance ticket buying habit was less widespread.

Not sure I’d completely agree with that when Force Awakens had the pre-sales that it did less than 4 months prior to BvS’s opening. Not saying you’re wrong, as obviously presales will have increased in popularity in the years since TFA, but they were still widespread back then, especially for something as hyped as BvS.