Eric is Quiet

The Batman | March 4, 2022 | Warner Bros. | Certified Fresh on RT | 7th Most Profitable Movie of 2023

kate-erbland.png

Seems that Kate Erbland of Indiewire has seen it now (will she review it? we'll have to wait and see). While there's no way to know if she enjoyed it or not based on her letterboxd entry, she appears to have immediately gone and retweeted a Mike Ryan interview with Matt Reeves. At the very least it seems we can gather that seeing the film didn't turn her off from engaging positively with it.

kate-erbland2.png

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Lucas said:

kate-erbland.png

Seems that Kate Erbland of Indiewire has seen it now (will she review it? we'll have to wait and see). While there's no way to know if she enjoyed it or not based on her letterboxd entry, she appears to have immediately gone and retweeted a Mike Ryan interview with Matt Reeves. At the very least it seems we can gather that seeing the film didn't turn her off from engaging positively with it.

kate-erbland2.png

Not a bad sign that she's retweeting a piece separate from her own publication.

• Like 1

Would recommend that interview btw. We can gather this from Mike Ryan (who saw the film a week ago)

I’m going to say something, and I want to see if you agree with it or not because I was thinking it during certain points in the movie: this feels like a ground-level mystery, a noir movie that Batman just happens to be the main character.

Look, I love Marvel movies. I loved the new Spider-Man. But what really hit me during this movie was I wasn’t sitting there wondering what mystery character might show up. I was riveted by the story. It’s a mystery and he’s got to figure it out. I kept thinking about movies like Se7en and LA Confidential while watching it.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Dragoncaine said:

Not a bad sign that she's retweeting a piece separate from her own publication.

Isnt she in a relationship with ryan? I don't think it means much.

Ehrlich will probably review it for Indiewire and I doubt he'll like it much. He was mixed on Dawn of Apes, War of the Apes. Hit/miss on superhero movies in general.. mostly miss.

I think a 75-78 Metacritic is fair looking at the higher reviewed comic book movies as of late. The Suicide Squad (72), Shazam (71), Wonder Woman (76), TDKR (78), TDK (84), Batman Begins (70), Dawn of the Apes (79), War of the Apes (82), No Way Home (71), Shang-Chi (71), Endgame (78), Civil War (75), Guardians of Galaxy (76). Black Panther's 88 is probably too far out of range. 

Should be over 85 on Rotten Tomatoes, if not low 90s.

5 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Ehrlich will probably review it for Indiewire and I doubt he'll like it much. He was mixed on Dawn of Apes, War of the Apes. Hit/miss on superhero movies in general.. mostly miss.

I think a 75-78 Metacritic is fair looking at the higher reviewed comic book movies as of late. The Suicide Squad (72), Shazam (71), Wonder Woman (76), TDKR (78), TDK (84), Batman Begins (70), Dawn of the Apes (79), War of the Apes (82), No Way Home (71), Shang-Chi (71), Endgame (78), Civil War (75), Guardians of Galaxy (76). Black Panther's 88 is probably too far out of range. 

If they're dating, I had no idea. Good intel.

Yeah, Ehrlich is a miser when it comes to spreading love for the wealth of superhero content. I was pleasantly surprised he enjoyed The Suicide Squad. 

75-78 has been my exact prediction range for Metacritic for a while now. 86-90% on Rotten Tomatoes with an average rating of 8 is my guess.

Edited by Dragoncaine
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Going to be interesting to see what kind of reviews Ehrlich and Scott Mendelson going to give for this movie. Scott did like Reeves’s apes films. 

19 minutes ago, Coneilg93 said:

Going to be interesting to see what kind of reviews Ehrlich and Scott Mendelson going to give for this movie. Scott did like Reeves’s apes films. 

Speaking of which. Is he legitimately watching Batman Beyond's 'Out of the Past', or could it be something else 🧐

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Guessing 94 RT low 80s MC, this does seem like something that can win over some of the superhero-averse critics.

• Astonished 1

7 minutes ago, Menor Reborn said:

Guessing 94 RT low 80s MC, this does seem like something that can win over some of the superhero-averse critics.

If it gets into the 80s on MC (even higher than Logan’s 77), WB should make it their top Oscar campaign because that would be impressive winning over the superhero averse critics and would imply major broad support. That would even be higher than something like Gone Girl

• Like 4