Neo

The Flash | June 16 2023 | Ezra Miller, Michael Keaton | We’re stoping the count at a Nice 69% RT (it’s 72% For Real) | Please Remember that Your Enjoyment Of The Film is Not Based On Others Opinions And To Be Nice To Each Other

1 hour ago, Krissykins said:

Yeh I didn’t ever expect it to be $300m. WB will release the number for the press to go with in the week of release. 

Let’s not forget The Flash has been in development for almost 10 years and that costed as well. Back in 2014 WB announced the movie with a 2018 release date.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr Roark said:

Let’s not forget The Flash has been in development for almost 10 years and that costed as well. Back in 2014 WB announced the movie with a 2018 release date.

A movie being in development does not actually cost as much as you think. Being "in development" only starts costing money when it reaches active pre-production like Superman Lives did with 10M pay-or-play contracts for both Cage and Burton, and associated costume and set design and construction costs. That's the reason Superman Returns cost 270M total because almost 70M worth of expenses were incurred in attempts between Superman 4 and Superman Returns, and most of these included a lot of pre-pro work. 

Both the Burton, and the McG movie actually got to the point of sets being built. Most of the 70M is of course Superman Lives, but the McG one also contributes a lot. 

In this specific case, maybe 10M is the max i can see development costs, mainly for screenplays written. No one had a high enough profile to be on a pay-or-play deal like Cage and Burton. The main developments we know are screenplays from Seth Grahame Smith, the guy from Dope, and the Game Night guys. Even adding in a Flash script from David Goyer in 2007-08, that is still 4-10 drafts being paid for. No sets built, no costumes designed as Flash debuted in a different movie, and no active pre-production on any of those.

Movies don't just cost a lot of money because they are in development, you actually need to start incurring costs for those to come into play.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, grim22 said:

A movie being in development does not actually cost as much as you think. Being "in development" only starts costing money when it reaches active pre-production like Superman Lives did with 10M pay-or-play contracts for both Cage and Burton, and associated costume and set design and construction costs. That's the reason Superman Returns cost 270M total because almost 70M worth of expenses were incurred in attempts between Superman 4 and Superman Returns, and most of these included a lot of pre-pro work. 

Both the Burton, and the McG movie actually got to the point of sets being built. Most of the 70M is of course Superman Lives, but the McG one also contributes a lot. 

In this specific case, maybe 10M is the max i can see development costs, mainly for screenplays written. No one had a high enough profile to be on a pay-or-play deal like Cage and Burton. The main developments we know are screenplays from Seth Grahame Smith, the guy from Dope, and the Game Night guys. Even adding in a Flash script from David Goyer in 2007-08, that is still 4-10 drafts being paid for. No sets built, no costumes designed as Flash debuted in a different movie, and no active pre-production on any of those.

Movies don't just cost a lot of money because they are in development, you actually need to start incurring costs for those to come into play.

How about Black Adam?

Just now, keysersoze123 said:

How about Black Adam?

That's a slightly different case since everything before like 2016/17 was not Black Adam. The Black Adam stuff in 2007 was the character being a Shazam villain. John August's Shazam script from that time is online for reading if you want to. So Black Adam has literally no prior development costs in it. Everything from 2007 to 2017 was probably rolled into the first Shazam movie. And everything from 2017 onwards will be reflected in the Black Adam budget. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, John Marston said:

ViewerAnon is the one who gave out the 300m budget which is not unbelievable at all.  

Studios often lowball announced budget costs in PR statments, so who  really knows at this point.

But I would not be  surprised if ends up being in the 250 Milion range.

And of courxe, though not charged directly to the movie, DC is going to spend a hell of a lot marketing this movie which adds to the costs in the real world.

4 hours ago, cax16 said:

People like to exaggerate things, we have no idea what the budget is and probably will never know the exact amount. People are using any and every excuse to make it seem like this movie is so important cause it “costs” so much. It’s obvious the reason WB is doing what they’re doing for this movie is cause they truly think they have something special. We’ll see if people agree with them in June. 

or because they sunk 300m into this they have to do whatever they can to try create any kind of hype to hopefully recoup that 

9 minutes ago, John Marston said:

or because they sunk 300m into this they have to do whatever they can to try create any kind of hype to hopefully recoup that 

Or you have no idea what they spent on the movie like the rest of us and they’re just confident in the movie which is why they screened it 2 months early. It’s obvious what they’re doing, I guarantee you Aquaman 2 cost as much as flash if not more and it won’t be screened months in advance. 

• Like 1

WB’s boss said this is the best superhero movie ever made. Gunn keeps on saying that as well “the rumors are true”.

I’ve never seen such bold statements regarding a film months before release and footage doesn’t actually look like The Dark Knight, to be fair.

They are clearly worried about the film being a disappointment given its big budget. It doesn’t even set up anything since it’s the official end of the Snyderverse so it is only a question of making a profit after all those DC bombs, hyping something that doesn’t really have that much hype among people.

Edited by Mr Roark
  • Like 2
  • ...wtf 3
  • Knock It Off 3

Everything abput this movie hype screams of damage control. The problematic star plus the destrpyed DC brand plus the high budget make all those statements being desperate.

Now, the movie will likely be good but the overhyping js gonna backfire since it doesnt seem genuine at all

• Like 2
  • Knock It Off 3

On 4/26/2023 at 7:43 AM, Alexander said:

Since Joker there were almost 20 cbms made and probably just No Way Home and The Batman are well liked / loved. The Flash doesn't have to be the greatest ever or whatever was Zaslav trying to push. If it's a fun 8/10 big-budget spectacle then Muschietti delivered. However, not sure about $. Probably a little under 700M WW-China.

Shang chi has better reviews and audience scores than every dc movie in the past 5 years. Wakabda forever as well

• Haha 2
  • ...wtf 1
  • Knock It Off 1

The fact that so many people in this thread are using The Dark Knight as the benchmark for "best superhero movie" is testament to just how ephemeral this stuff is though.

The idea anyone to this day, or at least anyone who wasn't aged 12-16 when The Dark Knight came out, thinking that it's better than S:TMP, Rocketeer, Batman 89 & 92, S-M2, S-M: ITSV, Dredd (if that counts), Unbreakable, the Incredibles, Logan or even TBM or Winter Soldier blows my mind. Like, it isn't even a film that would threaten my top 10. Yet clearly it would still be one of the major choice, if not THE major aggregate pick. And that's fine, but you, I or we can't really have pops at people making "best superhero movie of all time" references when the idea of what that would be is so contestable. 

What's my point?: just that the "Best Superhero movie ever" tag is a pointless red herring. Not something to get hung up on. It's just standard marketing and there's no point in getting either excited or ultra-cynical about.

The biggest clue as to the nature of this movie IMO is Muschietti and IT. At the end of the day with It Muscietti sacrificed almost all of the tension in the second film, in order to make the first as compelling as possible.  The restructuring of the story that he formulated had no impact at all to the kids' story - indeed enhanced it for film - but completely undermined the adults' story since the narrative was predicated on flashbacks that were no longer there.

He's a front-loader. On the basis of hype. There's no accident that all the memes from It come from the first movie and indeed, barring the dancing Pennywise, from the first act of the first movie. So that this movie goes HARD and relentless on hype is not exactly a surprise. Just expect it to be front loaded and put most of its eggs into selective baskets.

1 hour ago, Krissykins said:

There’s… something going on in this thread lol.

After Quantumania and Shazam, and the way GOTG3 is tracking, It would be surprising if The Flash ends up the only superhero hit of 2023 though. Didn’t have that in my predictions lol. 

Ignore feature is a beautiful thing.

• Like 3

We better be getting a Keatonman and Zod Heat-like coffee shop scene at some point. Both in full costume of course. Can even rip some of the dialogue. Instead saying he takes down scores, Zod would say he takes down planets. Stuff like that. Keatonman can still say you do what you do and do what I gotta do though. That line can stay the same. Would be hilarious. Last coffee shop on the planet. Then, like all the other multiverse stuff that's literally everything now, Flash can just reset time anyway like it never happened and they can get on with the film proper. Could be the opening scene.

5 hours ago, Krissykins said:

There’s… something going on in this thread lol.

After Quantumania and Shazam, and the way GOTG3 is tracking, It would be surprising if The Flash ends up the only superhero hit of 2023 though. Didn’t have that in my predictions lol. 

I'd think Spider-verse, Guardians and Flash will all do pretty well. Wouldn't shock me if Spider-verse is the top grosser of the three.

7 hours ago, Jeight said:

Shang chi has better reviews and audience scores than every dc movie in the past 5 years. Wakabda forever as well

The Batman and The Suicide Squad both have better critical scores than Wakanda Forever.

This thread has been feeling the toxic side effects of copium lately

Edited by Dragoncaine
  • Like 5
  • Heart 1

This thread is ridiculously toxic for some reason. I don't know. The Flash is one of five movies (SpiderVerse, Fast X, Oppenheimer, MI,) I will see in cinema this summer so hopefully it's good. Obviously it's not TDK-level, more likely somewhere between 6.5/10 - 8.5/10 but some guys here are absolutely pathetic. I understand that online discussions became really bad over last 2-3 years but this is just pointless.

• Like 2