Neo

The Flash | June 16 2023 | Ezra Miller, Michael Keaton | We’re stoping the count at a Nice 69% RT (it’s 72% For Real) | Please Remember that Your Enjoyment Of The Film is Not Based On Others Opinions And To Be Nice To Each Other

2 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Before anyone jumps on me for sharing this tweet, I’m not trying to suggest this means the movie is bad. I just thought it was noteworthy.

It's obviously true isn't it? NWH is one of the dumbest movies I've seen, but it has 90%+ on RT, is well beloved by fans, and made ridiculous money.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Last Man Standing said:

It's obviously true isn't it? NWH is one of the dumbest movies I've seen, but it has 90%+ on RT, is well beloved by fans, and made ridiculous money.

I liked NWH when I saw it in the theater, but it’s definitely a movie that gets by on emotions, rather than a well-crafted story or good internal logic. It sounds like this movie will be the same, but it is what it is. 

1 minute ago, dudalb said:

Yes, but not all nostalgia is equal. 

Outside the usual CBM fan suspects, Flash is not getting nearly the interest that Spidey:NWH got.

That goes without saying. No one is expecting it to be nearly as big as NWH. That doesn’t mean it won’t benefit from playing into people’s nostalgia. Contrary to what some might think, there are plenty of people who have a special fondness for Keaton’s Batman. 

• Like 1

This is corny.  A lot of people's first impressions were that the movie is fantastic so now people are coming out of the woodwork wanting to be contrarians and get their hot take off about how "it's not as good as they said!!" and nitpick about things that happen in every CBM.  Hilarious,  yet sad and pathetic stuff. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Warmaster506 said:

Just seems some can't handle that this film is good and as a result have to attack. 

The film isn’t out yet.

And I’d be cautious regarding reactions right out of Comic Con or even early reactions as well, especially if we are talking comic book films.

Let’s see how it will perform. Anything below $650/700M would be a failure.

Edited by Mr Roark
  • Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1

16 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

That goes without saying. No one is expecting it to be nearly as big as NWH. That doesn’t mean it won’t benefit from playing into people’s nostalgia. Contrary to what some might think, there are plenty of people who have a special fondness for Keaton’s Batman. 

It's the only reason I'm seeing it OW or even at all. I like Michael Shannon too. Couldn't care less about The Flash guy that they'll likely fire because of his off screen nonsense or Supergirl or whatever else is going on in it. Hyped for Keatonman and Shannon's Zod. They'll have cashed their multiverse as novelty card too unless they do something else like this and bring back Hackman's Lex, Brandon Routh's Supes, Bale's Bats, Phoenix's Joker is some other multiverse The Flash sequel... Could be some novelty there too.

I like it though for as a one or two off for a series or franchise. See Days of Future Past, Into the Spider-verse, Endgame, No Way Home... Heck, obvious one but didn't capitalize on it enough was Multiverse of Madness. It's gonna be super fun to see it in The Flash. But, I do wonder if audiences will grow weary of it soon because it's a cheat code to constantly reset everything and anything whenever they want.

And, yeah, nostaglia's been a thing for a while. Look no further than Super Mario. If that's just random movie that emulates the gameplay of Super Mario game but it's called Wreck It Raplio  or something like that with zero connection to a super famous Nintendo game or Wreck It Ralph, it would maybe gross 1/3 of what it's going to end up with. Still good no doubt but not gargantuan like it currently is... Heck, Stranger Things allure is very much living in that 80s nostalgia. People love the stuff. Force Awakens and Jurassic World revel in it too. Rise of Gru with the Gru origin story which was completely unnecessary did too. Doesn't mean that they're bad movies but it's much safer bet to make mint at the box office over the past decade or so.

And, yeah, while they can be super fun, I imagine the general consensus is that none of the nostalgia bait movies that make bank are actually great or very good films because most of them fail to age very well.

Now, all that said, can't wait for The Flash because I can't wait to get my nostalgia fix and see Keaton as Bats again. Also, how the fuck did they not do a Batman Beyond movie with him? Just based on The Flash trailer that would've and could've been incredible. 

Edited by JohnnyGossamer

16 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

This is corny.  A lot of people's first impressions were that the movie is fantastic so now people are coming out of the woodwork wanting to be contrarians and get their hot take off about how "it's not as good as they said!!" and nitpick about things that happen in every CBM.  Hilarious,  yet sad and pathetic stuff. 

Not fair. I thought it looked shit from the get-go. I was a pioneer. I walked so current haters could run. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Yes, but not all nostalgia is equal. 

Outside the usual CBM fan suspects, Flash is not getting nearly the interest that Spidey:NWH got.

Not sure what your point is? No one ever expected the flash to have the same interest as NWH, that’s like a top 10 grossing movie of all time. 

The flash trailer dominated talk when it released at the Super Bowl, the last trailer has done very well online and screening reactions were good, so I’d say so far so good with the path they’ve taken to market the movie. 

Also my initial comment wasn’t really directed at anything specific, it’s just that nostalgia bait has always been a thing so who cares really? If you don’t want to see the movie then don’t see it. 

• Like 1
  • Heart 1

29 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

oH, I agree; Flash will probably do well at the box office. Questin is how well: will it live up to the big expectations at the BO that Warners has for it?

27 minutes ago, Mr Roark said:

The film isn’t out yet.

And I’d be cautious regarding reactions right out of Comic Con or even early reactions as well, especially if we are talking comic book films.

Let’s see how it will perform. Anything below $650/700M would be a failure.

Early reactions for a Genre film  are always to be taken with a grain of salt; they are generally from fans of that Genre who are predisposed to like the film.

How often have we seen great early reactions and then the ratings drop like a rock when the non fans opinions start rolling in.

23 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

It's the only reason I'm seeing it OW or even at all. I like Michael Shannon too. Couldn't care less about The Flash guy that they'll likely fire because of his off screen nonsense or Supergirl or whatever else is going on in it. Hyped for Keatonman and Shannon's Zod. They'll have cashed their multiverse as novelty card too unless they do something else like this and bring back Hackman's Lex, Brandon Routh's Supes, Bale's Bats, Phoenix's Joker is some other multiverse The Flash sequel... Could be some novelty there too.

I like it though for as a one or two off for a series or franchise. See Days of Future Past, Into the Spider-verse, Endgame, No Way Home... Heck, obvious one but didn't capitalize on it enough was Multiverse of Madness. It's gonna be super fun to see it in The Flash. But, I do wonder if audiences will grow weary of it soon because it's a cheat code to constantly reset everything and anything whenever they want.

And, yeah, nostaglia's been a thing for a while. Look no further than Super Mario. If that's just random movie that emulates the gameplay of Super Mario game but it's called Wreck It Raplio  or something like that with zero connection to a super famous Nintendo game or Wreck It Ralph, it would maybe gross 1/3 of what it's going to end up with. Still good no doubt but not gargantuan like it currently is... Heck, Stranger Things allure is very much living in that 80s nostalgia. People love the stuff. Force Awakens and Jurassic World revel in it too. Rise of Gru with the Gru origin story which was completely unnecessary did too. Doesn't mean that they're bad movies but it's much safer bet to make mint at the box office over the past decade or so.

And, yeah, while they can be super fun, I imagine the general consensus is that none of the nostalgia bait movies that make bank are actually great or very good films because most of them fail to age very well.

Now, all that said, can't wait for The Flash because I can't wait to get my nostalgia fix and see Keaton as Bats again. Also, how the fuck did they not do a Batman Beyond movie with him? Just based on The Flash trailer that would've and could've been incredible. 

Yeah, Keaton could do the old,really bitter Bruce Wayne well.

That charecter saved Batman Beyond. Without it, would have been a nothing burger.

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, dudalb said:

Yeah, Keaton could do the old,really bitter Bruce Wayne well.

That charecter saved Batman Beyond. Without it, would have been a nothing burger.

Yes. Agree. I did like the heavy sci-fi angle too. But, the characters and stories weren't much though. Though, as cinema, it's something fun to think about because it could easily be improved upon while using Keaton or Bale or whoever as Bats for the nostalgia fix. I hope they explore it one day. I'm sure they never will. See heavy sci-fi Blade Runner type dystopian future with Bats and teenage Bats if they fix up some of the stories or villains to make them more compelling could be a huge smile.

The only question Flash needs to answer box office wise is can it win the season?  If it does it’ll be a resounding success and it’s definitely possible. 

All this talk of it not being as big as NWH, I mean who cares? Nothing will be probably! Lol. 

Edited by wildphantom