Neo

The Flash | June 16 2023 | Ezra Miller, Michael Keaton | We’re stoping the count at a Nice 69% RT (it’s 72% For Real) | Please Remember that Your Enjoyment Of The Film is Not Based On Others Opinions And To Be Nice To Each Other

39 minutes ago, Firepower said:

He said that Shang Chi and Wakanda Forever have better audience scores/reception than any DC film in the past 5 years. Joker, while unconventional comic book movie, is still DC film and it obviously has better audience scores than Shang Chi and Wakanda Forever.

You might want to check again.

18 minutes ago, poweranimals said:

You might want to check again.

Or you, unless you are just trolling. I obviously don't mean Cinemascore or shit like that because it's extremely unreliable and rarely indicates real audience reception.

Edited by Firepower

4 hours ago, poweranimals said:

In what way is it not correct?

What was the original question?  Joker had like 11 Oscar nominations to go along with multiple awards nominations and wins across awards season. It won 2 Oscars. It also won the Golden Lion.   Just because some bloggers didn't review it well doesn't mean it wasn't one of the most highly acclaimed comic book movies ever. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Firepower said:

Or you, unless you are just trolling. I obviously don't mean Cinemascore or shit like that because it's extremely unreliable and rarely indicates real audience reception.

Obviously, I checked before I replied. For the record, this isn't about any fanboy wars. Just pointing out that the original statement was correct.

13 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

What was the original question?

It was just someone pointing out that those movies have higher critics and audience scores which is factually correct. I'm not even saying that I agree with it but it's hard to ignore the facts.

1 hour ago, poweranimals said:

It was just someone pointing out that those movies have higher critics and audience scores which is factually correct. I'm not even saying that I agree with it but it's hard to ignore the facts.

We were talking about audience reception. What we have is:

Joker - 8.4/10 imdb - 1.3 million votes, 3.9/5 letterboxd - 1.72 million votes;

Shang Chi - 7.4/10 imdb - 399k votes, 3.61 letterboxd - 651k votes;

Wakanda Forever - 6.7/10 imdb - 261k votes, 3.57 letterboxd - 534k votes;

So this is factually wrong. I'm not trying to incite rant, I'm just saying it's simply not true.

Edited by Firepower
  • Like 3
  • Disbelief 1

4 hours ago, Firepower said:

We were talking about audience reception. What we have is:

Joker - 8.4/10 imdb - 1.3 million votes, 3.9/5 letterboxd - 1.72 million votes;

Shang Chi - 7.4/10 imdb - 399k votes, 3.61 letterboxd - 651k votes;

Wakanda Forever - 6.7/10 imdb - 261k votes, 3.57 letterboxd - 534k votes;

So this is factually wrong. I'm not trying to incite rant, I'm just saying it's simply not true.

IMDB isn't a great metric for reviews since people can create multiple accounts to manipulate the metrics. If you're looking at the verified audience score where you have to actually prove you bought a ticket to review a movie:

Joker - Rotten Tomatoes - 69% critic score and 88% audience score

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings - Rotten Tomatoes - 91% critic score and 98% audience score

Black Panther: Wakanda Forever - Rotten Tomatoes - 84% critic score and 94% audience score

Edited by poweranimals

1 hour ago, poweranimals said:

IMDB isn't a great metric for reviews since people can create multiple accounts to manipulate the metrics. If you're looking at the verified audience score where you have to actually prove you bought a ticket to review a movie:

Joker - Rotten Tomatoes - 69% critic score and 88% audience score

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings - Rotten Tomatoes - 91% critic score and 98% audience score

Black Panther: Wakanda Forever - Rotten Tomatoes - 84% critic score and 94% audience score

In most cases, even if imdb score is manipulated initially, it streamlines into more or less reliable one after people actually saw the movie and certain period of time. We also have letterboxd with very different biases which is also very popular. Shang Chi and Wakanda Forever have lower rating on both. The problem with verified RT score is only very specific type of movies score in 90s there, something very safe and crowdpleasing, you won't ever see a horror movie scoring in 90s there or a dark drama, but it doesn't mean movies with lower verified RT have worse audience reception, in fact it can be the opposite. Or are we gonna pretend that Rise of Skywalker had a really good reception because it somehow scored in mid 80s there? Or that Maleficent 2 had great reception because it scored verified RT in 90s? Doesn't look like a reliable metric to me.

Edited by Firepower
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, fabiopazzo2 said:

And whats The problem? 

people have different taste. People love Spiderman 3 or Star Wars 8. I dont understand your comment

Pretty sure his point is that Erik Davis’ praise doesn’t guarantee the movie will be great. 

3 hours ago, fabiopazzo2 said:

And whats The problem? 

people have different taste. People love Spiderman 3 or Star Wars 8. I dont understand your comment

The problems with AM3 and especially JL have nothing to do with “taste”.

And besides, they are both BOMBS.

22 hours ago, Eric Foreman said:

Moderation

We don't do Fanboy Wars stuff here anymore. Zip it.

I agree, with the proviso that there is a difference between fanwars crap and comparing the movie to how other CBM' do.

On 5/1/2023 at 8:48 AM, Last Man Standing said:

"Unbiased Snyder fan" reads a lot like "unbiased flat earth believer".

This.

Snyder fans now pretty hate the DCU. They never really cared about it, only about Zack.

I think Flashwill do in the 100 Million range for the opening.

Let's put it this way, with all the money that Warners have put into this, if it does open at 65 million, one Monday a lot people at Warners/DC are going to be busy sending out their resumes.....

15 hours ago, Firepower said:

In most cases, even if imdb score is manipulated initially, it streamlines into more or less reliable one after people actually saw the movie and certain period of time. We also have letterboxd with very different biases which is also very popular. Shang Chi and Wakanda Forever have lower rating on both. The problem with verified RT score is only very specific type of movies score in 90s there, something very safe and crowdpleasing, you won't ever see a horror movie scoring in 90s there or a dark drama, but it doesn't mean movies with lower verified RT have worse audience reception, in fact it can be the opposite. Or are we gonna pretend that Rise of Skywalker had a really good reception because it somehow scored in mid 80s there? Or that Maleficent 2 had great reception because it scored verified RT in 90s? Doesn't look like a reliable metric to me.

IMDB is the most unreliable there is, so you are not serious at all if that is supposed to be your arbiter of reception 

8 hours ago, PenguinHyphy said:

IMDB is the most unreliable there is, so you are not serious at all if that is supposed to be your arbiter of reception 

Not really, unless you blindly watching a number without context and external factors. It's unreliable during first week or two, a year later it's usually more or less reliable because any initial review bombing is sorted out and there's enough votes to form a picture.

• Like 1