Neo

The Flash | June 16 2023 | Ezra Miller, Michael Keaton | We’re stoping the count at a Nice 69% RT (it’s 72% For Real) | Please Remember that Your Enjoyment Of The Film is Not Based On Others Opinions And To Be Nice To Each Other

2 minutes ago, ChipDerby said:

Hey man show us the number verifying that the 2 Avatar films have grossed more than all the DC films for the past 20 years.

I think all of us know what I mean. If you seriously want me to compare the ‘franchise’ with *check notes* Jonah Hex starring Josh Brolin and Megan Fox and Catwoman starring Halle Berry and Sharon Stone, be my guest. Using ‘DC’ as a franchise that goes all the way back to I don’t know, Steel isn’t it, chief.

But yeah, I have legitimately not heard anyone in reality acknowledge this project, so the projections in the trades are not surprising. I genuinely believe that the most fervent(delusional) fanboys have an inclination to go full-on Swarm when this opens similar to Black Adam  

The truly worst performances in the DCEU were when WB tried to pull a Marvel and launch & turn small characters/teams like Shazam or Birds Of Prey into a big thing. 

It says more about how unique the MCU brand is.

When WB dealt with their big characters they did more than fine

Man Of Steel - $700M (OK for a franchise launch).

Wonder Woman - $800M (Very good)

Aquaman - 1.2 billion (Amazing)

The Batman - $800M (OK for a franchise launch).

Batman v Superman can be called an underperformance.

Only Justice League can be regarded as a truly horrific performance for big characters. 

• Knock It Off 1

20 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

I think there is a big difference between "the brand is damaged" and "no film from this brand can be a hit" which people can't seem to separate - Aquaman was a big crowdpleaser that was really able to swim (pun intended) among the empty christmas period, and was helped by a massive China turnout as well, but its opening was nothing incredible, not even for christmas (hell, if flash opened like aquaman I'm pretty sure people would go insane in the weekend thread)

Brand power isn't necessarily reflected in the film's total but it is most certainly reflected in the opening, and honestly, I'd say even more reflected in the immediate presale burst: the big fans are the ones that come out immediately!

...but that doesn't mean that a film can't leg out if it has great WOM and a favorable slate, damaged brand or not (flash could have the former, certainly not the latter though, as this summer is a slaughterfest, so its WOM better be damn fucking good).

It does mean that the brand will struggle to bring out a massive amount of people on OW though, and it clearly is, so...yeah.

tl;dr brand damaged yes, guaranteed flop no

Very well said. 

We really don’t need to do this whole thing again about who or what has damaged the brand. It’s damaged and will soon be reset for the most part. That’s all that really matters tbh. 

Edited by cax16
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, YSLDC said:

The truly worst performances in the DCEU were when WB tried to pull a Marvel and launch & turn small characters/teams like Shazam or Birds Of Prey into a big thing. 

It says more about how unique the MCU brand is.

When WB dealt with their big characters they did more than fine

Man Of Steel - $700M (OK for a franchise launch).

Wonder Woman - $800M (Very good)

Aquaman - 1.2 billion (Amazing)

The Batman - $800M (OK for a franchise launch).

Batman v Superman can be called an underperformance.

Only Justice League can be regarded as a truly horrific performance for big characters. 

The Batman is not just OK. Its Warners top 5th domestic boxoffice movie of all time. It came out just around the pandemic and China Boxoffice was basically a none factor so for it to reach $788M WW is fantastic. 

1 hour ago, ZattMurdock said:

I think all of us know what I mean. If you seriously want me to compare the ‘franchise’ with *check notes* Jonah Hex starring Josh Brolin and Megan Fox and Catwoman starring Halle Berry and Sharon Stone, be my guest. Using ‘DC’ as a franchise that goes all the way back to I don’t know, Steel isn’t it, chief.

Maybe then address the previous post as written. Instead of being weird and making something out of nothing.

55 minutes ago, ChipDerby said:

Maybe then address the previous post as written. Instead of being weird and making something out of nothing.

Ijack ruining any discussion in DC threads - a tradition dating back to 2012. He pretty much made BvS numbers threads unreadable back in the day.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, raegr said:

its outpacing black adam quite a bit and that did 67m. having a hard time seeing how it only makes 20m more despite having 2-3x the sales

Exactly.

This is why I don't realize how they're using MCU movies comps for Flash. They should compare it to other DCEU movies because the DC fandom isn't as big as Marvel's

• Haha 1

Pretty damn obvious many here have no clue how to read this film. Expecting it's presales to perform like a Marvel esque frontloaded film is absurd. This will be much more review and walk-up driven. Notice how well it comps against walk-up crowd pleasers like Jurassic Park or Black Adam.

"Yes, it'd tripling Black Adam presales, and seems to be getting much better reviews, but it will only barely leak by it on opening weekend"

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, excel1 said:

Pretty damn obvious many here have no clue how to read this film. Expecting it's presales to perform like a Marvel esque frontloaded film is absurd. This will be much more review and walk-up driven. Notice how well it comps against walk-up crowd pleasers like Jurassic Park or Black Adam.

"Yes, it'd tripling Black Adam presales, and seems to be getting much better reviews, but it will only barely leak by it on opening weekend"

Warner is throwing reactions from everyone they can get for a month now, reviews won’t do any huge difference since the word is that the movie is good consistently since CinemaCon 

• Disbelief 1

Just now, ThomasNicole said:

Warner is throwing reactions from everyone they can get for a month now, reviews won’t do any huge difference since the word is that the movie is good consistently since CinemaCon 

FOR ga big difference between an rt score vs. early twitter reactions

I'm struggling to see in which comp flash is tripling black adam PS - most comps don't even have it hit 2x? I tried looking them up just to see if I was tripping and the discourse over its black adam comp seems hella hyperbolic, not even porthos' t-20 which is frankly rather unfair to BA (due to PS starting time) is hitting 2x

...besides the fact that BA had a near 9x multi and flash being a summer release obviously won't have that, or even close to that

also for the record - you won't really see if the film has a strong walkup heavy final push until, well, the final push. avatar was gaining on JWD every day until that comp crashed in the final week.

Edited by JustLurking
  • Like 3