Neo

The Flash | June 16 2023 | Ezra Miller, Michael Keaton | We’re stoping the count at a Nice 69% RT (it’s 72% For Real) | Please Remember that Your Enjoyment Of The Film is Not Based On Others Opinions And To Be Nice To Each Other

Just now, dudalb said:

And it's not like they made a huge flop. I usspect FLash will probably turn a modest profit for WB.

And ,anyway, every producer/Direcotr has his or her failures. The sttudios know you can't expect anybody to hit a home run every time they go to bat. It's when you have three or four failures in a row you career is in trouble.

Yeah I don't think their career will be dead by any means, it's probably just a matter that it won't exactly go up from here either like they probably hoped it would if this film was a success. My guess is that WB will hook them up with some mid budget thing and see how that goes. 

7 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

He could easily keep Sasha Calle if he wants to, just like he’s keeping the cast of TSS and Peacemaker. I don’t think he will though. 

It doesn’t make sense. Sadly, it just doesn’t. I’m not sure about the actual cast of TSS whatever that is these days, or Peacemaker. I’m not entirely convinced that we are getting a Suicide Squad sequel, and I’m not even sure if we need one. And this is coming from someone that loved that film. Peacemaker I could definitely see it, but that’s so far removed from the main DCU that it could easily be explained, just like Marvel Studios are doing with Daredevil now. 

I don’t believe the leakers that are saying that Margot Robbie might get cast as Susan Richards on Fantastic Four, but if it happened it would make a lot of sense. I think that starting small with an actual plan for the reboot with Superman Legacy is a good plan, and that DC roadmap didn’t include TSS or Peacemaker. I’m aware that the roadmap includes Supergirl: Woman of Tomorrow, but it’s at the end of his roadmap plans. Sasha is 27 and about to be 28 years old. What I think it’s going to happen is an actual hard reboot. Whenever when Supergirl: Woman of Tomorrow goes into production, how old Sasha will be? How do you speed up a Supergirl project when you are still focused on a Superman project that kickstarts a whole universe around it? She might be the best there is, but it’s just bad timing.

1 minute ago, ZattMurdock said:

It doesn’t make sense. Sadly, it just doesn’t. I’m not sure about the actual cast of TSS whatever that is these days, or Peacemaker. I’m not entirely convinced that we are getting a Suicide Squad sequel, and I’m not even sure if we need one. And this is coming from someone that loved that film. Peacemaker I could definitely see it, but that’s so far removed from the main DCU that it could easily be explained, just like Marvel Studios are doing with Daredevil now. 

Creature Commandos and Waller are the TSS continuations though. He hasn't expressed any inclination there's any plans whatsoever to continue those characters in films, just TV.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

I don’t believe the leakers that are saying that Margot Robbie might get cast as Susan Richards on Fantastic Four, but if it happened it would make a lot of sense. I think that starting small with an actual plan for the reboot with Superman Legacy is a good plan, and that DC roadmap didn’t include TSS or Peacemaker. I’m aware that the roadmap includes Supergirl: Woman of Tomorrow, but it’s at the end of his roadmap plans. Sasha is 27 and about to be 28 years old. What I think it’s going to happen is an actual hard reboot. Whenever when Supergirl: Woman of Tomorrow goes into production, how old Sasha will be? How do you speed up a Supergirl project when you are still focused on a Superman project that kickstarts a whole universe around it? She might be the best there is, but it’s just bad timing.

He's said in interviews he's keeping the TSS and Peacemaker casts.

• Like 1

At long last, after an entire decade's worth of evidence, can we just finally admit that general audiences just weren't that into the DCEU?

They didn't all hate it, they didn't all despise it, they just looked at what they were being given and said "meh". 

There were individual success stories, sure, but crucially, all of them felt mostly cut off from its overarching mythology and worldbuilding (even the first Wonder Woman was set 100 years before). 

And again, that would've been fine if their biggest movies were not clearly aping an MCU-style shared universe and box office. 

People rag on Birds of Prey but that movie had excellent word of mouth and did pretty damn well for a spiritual sequel to a movie that pretty much everyone agrees was an unholy mess. 

A slate of modestly budgeted slightly more niche and distinct films like that which (in time) would've built up positive WOM around the DCEU and its quality could've gone a long way. 

People aren't not getting hyped for the Flash because they don't care about Batman, they're not getting hyped because they don't care about the annoying sidekick from a 2017 movie nobody liked and a 2021 recut nobody saw.

This always happens. Instead of trying to make more movies aimed at different groups so that way you minimise risk and expand your potential fanbase, studios keep plowing ahead with these $500 million IP wankfests. 

In a sense that's really what happened to Hollywood in general. Audiences don't go to the movies anymore, they just go to A movie, once in a while. And that's not healthy for the medium. 

Edited by TerwillikerInst
  • Like 2

Just now, Mulder said:

What ‘maintaining’ those cast means? Zoe Saldaña doesn’t want to play Gamora for long and has expressed the desire of her character going forward without her, even though a version of her character is alive and well with the Ravagers. What if Margot Robbie doesn’t want to play Harley any longer? Or Idris Elba to keep playing Bloodsport? What is the Suicide Squad if not Waller? More to this:

4 minutes ago, 21C said:

Creature Commandos and Waller are the TSS continuations though. He hasn't expressed any inclination there's any plans whatsoever to continue those characters in films, just TV.

Creature Commandos and Waller being related to TSS is fine, but they are quite removed from the actual main DC Universe. Supergirl clearly isn’t, and while I hope for the best, I doubt that this film will make WB go out of their way to fast track a Supergirl film, even if it’s part of the new DC Universe road map.

3 minutes ago, TerwillikerInst said:

At long last, after an entire decade's worth of evidence, can we just finally admit that general audiences just weren't that into the DCEU?

They didn't all hate it, they didn't all despise it, they just weren't that interested in it. 

There were individual success stories, sure, but crucially, all of them felt mostly cut off from its overarching mythology and worldbuilding (even the first Wonder Woman was set 100 years before). 

And again, that would've been fine if their biggest movies were not clearly aping an MCU-style shared universe and box office. 

People rag on Birds of Prey but that movie had excellent word of mouth and did pretty damn well for a spiritual sequel to a movie that pretty much everyone agrees was an unholy mess. 

A slate of modestly budgeted slightly more niche and distinct films like that which (in time) would've built up positive WOM around the DCEU and its quality could've gone a long way. 

People aren't not getting hyped for the Flash because they don't care about Batman, they're not getting hyped because they don't care about the annoying sidekick from a 2017 movie nobody liked and a 2021 recut nobody saw.

They were into DCEU until BvS IMO. The OW was evidence but WoM from that film killed everything else.

I mean Wonder Woman and Aquaman did do very well for their standalone films.

2 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

What ‘maintaining’ those cast means? Zoe Saldaña doesn’t want to play Gamora for long and has expressed the desire of her character going forward without her, even though a version of her character is alive and well with the Ravagers. What if Margot Robbie doesn’t want to play Harley any longer? Or Idris Elba to keep playing Bloodsport? What is the Suicide Squad if not Waller? More to this:

Not sure what Gamora has to do with this. And also, both Margot Robbie and Idris Elba have expressed interest to continue playing their characters. 

10 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

I love the Chris Cox Daredevil and think they worked it perfectly in with the rest of the MCU with the rebuilding of Hell's Kitchen from the damage down in the Battle of New York bein the main plot point of season one of hte show. Ii is just exploring a grittier part of the MCU. I was delighted to see Cox's return in Spidey NWH and hoped it was a sign he was back in the MCU..which\ of course, he is.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mulder said:

It's not different then keeping Judi Dench as M in the first three of the Daniel Craig 007 movies, though it was a total reboot.

In the end they are just actors playing a role, if they play it well why not keep them on/ Only people upset will be the contniued obbssesded fanboys.

7 minutes ago, 21C said:

Not sure what Gamora has to do with this. And also, both Margot Robbie and Idris Elba have expressed interest to continue playing their characters. 

My point bringing up Saldaña’s situation is that I’m not entirely sure we are seeing the remaining cast of The Suicide Squad playing those roles again, save maybe Waller, Bloodsport, Peacemaker and Ratsnatcher 2. I’m very curious about the SDCC announcements and if that clears the situation a bit.

Edited by ZattMurdock

I will die on the hill that if you want to do a reboot, you can’t make any exceptions, especially when a lot of people probably still associate Margot Robbie’s Harley Quinn with Jared Leto’s infamous take on the Joker, but Gunn has seemingly made it clear that he has no intention of recasting people like Robbie or Viola Davis. As long as Robbie wants to continue playing the role, I assume Gunn will keep her. 

On the subject of Sasha Calle’s age though, I don’t see how that would be a problem. She’s younger than most of the actors who are in the running to play Superman. 

4 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

I will die on the hill that if you want to do a reboot, you can’t make any exceptions, especially when a lot of people probably still associate Margot Robbie’s Harley Quinn with Jared Leto’s infamous take on the Joker, but Gunn has seemingly made it clear that he has no intention of recasting people like Robbie or Viola Davis. As long as Robbie wants to continue playing the role, I assume Gunn will keep her. 

On the subject of Sasha Calle’s age though, I don’t see how that would be a problem. She’s younger than most of the actors who are in the running to play Superman. 

Younger by like 2 years when Supergirl is supposed to be around 10 years younger than Superman, hence she's called Supergirl, not Superwoman.

• Knock It Off 1