Neo

The Flash | June 16 2023 | Ezra Miller, Michael Keaton | We’re stoping the count at a Nice 69% RT (it’s 72% For Real) | Please Remember that Your Enjoyment Of The Film is Not Based On Others Opinions And To Be Nice To Each Other

7 minutes ago, John Marston said:

AI don't think there will be a Suicide Squad movie for a long time. Margot Robbie I think is jumping ship

There doesn't have to be. He's clearly continuing those storylines in streaming.

55 minutes ago, TerwillikerInst said:

People rag on Birds of Prey but that movie had excellent word of mouth and did pretty damn well for a spiritual sequel to a movie that pretty much everyone agrees was an unholy mess. 

I really liked the film but...no, it's an objectively bad number that was savaged in trade press which also included executives leaking to pass the buck. You don't get that if BoP was a moral victory. 

Also, take another look at the film's 4 quadrant age/gender splits: the decision to make it a big R rated Deadpool-like just nuked what could have been the film's core audience. Deadpool is the exception not the rule as both R rated SS spinoffs pretty neatly illustrate. The film's Word of mouth as "objectively" measured on OW was worse than conventional wisdom because the people show showed up really weren't the target demo for that specific film. 

Just now, 21C said:

There doesn't have to be. He's clearly continuing those storylines in streaming.

Yeah I don’t see Margot willing to play Harley on streaming. I think my one pet peeve with the current DC road map is that other than Superman Legacy and Brave and the Bold it feels a lot… random. I kinda like how bold it is to have Creature Commandos as an animation that can eventually show up in live action, but I think that if anything we’ve learned the last years with streaming is, putting too much eggs on their basket isn’t safe. I kinda hope that some of that road map is adjusted too, Green Lantern as tv show sounds cool but if WB won’t be all in with the budget, the last Green Lantern film was so long ago that barely no one remembers it. Maybe another go at it as a film production isn’t a bad idea.

2 minutes ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

I really liked the film but...no, it's an objectively bad number that was savaged in trade press which also included executives leaking to pass the buck. You don't get that if BoP was a moral victory. 

Also, take another look at the film's 4 quadrant age/gender splits: the decision to make it a big R rated Deadpool-like just nuked what could have been the film's core audience. Deadpool is the exception not the rule as both R rated SS spinoffs pretty neatly illustrate. The film's Word of mouth as "objectively" measured on OW was worse than conventional wisdom because the people show showed up really weren't the target demo for that specific film. 

Birds of Prey was released days before the pandemic went worldwide. I like the film and was the last one before I saw Eternals more than one year later, there was also a lot of paranoia going on back then with people scared of getting COVID, until it spread like wildfire.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BluKyberCrystal said:

When I'm looking for reviews of a film, my #1 go to is cinnamonpepsi. 

"This movie may be the pinnacle of what filmmaking can achieve"

Edited by LVB
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

Birds of Prey was released days before the pandemic went worldwide. I like the film and was the last one before I saw Eternals more than one year later, there was also a lot of paranoia going on back then with people scared of getting COVID, until it spread like wildfire.

Bloodsport was impacted by the pandemic in the way you're describing not Birds of Prey. Just pull up contemporary reporting. I'm not saying there was 0 impact but BoP was still well before significant behavioral changes occurred and the data pretty directly proves it. The overall weekend gross of Birds of Prey's OW increased from the week prior. Sonic had a completely solid box office run after BoP opened. It's not like the overall box office gross in Feb was radically different from say 2017's gross. 

The box office on the weekend of march 13th plunged 50%! from the week before. That's the real start of the pandemic box office - six weeks after BoP entered theaters.  

1 hour ago, TerwillikerInst said:

At long last, after an entire decade's worth of evidence, can we just finally admit that general audiences just weren't that into the DCEU?

They didn't all hate it, they didn't all despise it, they just looked at what they were being given and said "meh". 

There were individual success stories, sure, but crucially, all of them felt mostly cut off from its overarching mythology and worldbuilding (even the first Wonder Woman was set 100 years before). 

And again, that would've been fine if their biggest movies were not clearly aping an MCU-style shared universe and box office. 

People rag on Birds of Prey but that movie had excellent word of mouth and did pretty damn well for a spiritual sequel to a movie that pretty much everyone agrees was an unholy mess. 

A slate of modestly budgeted slightly more niche and distinct films like that which (in time) would've built up positive WOM around the DCEU and its quality could've gone a long way. 

People aren't not getting hyped for the Flash because they don't care about Batman, they're not getting hyped because they don't care about the annoying sidekick from a 2017 movie nobody liked and a 2021 recut nobody saw.

This always happens. Instead of trying to make more movies aimed at different groups so that way you minimise risk and expand your potential fanbase, studios keep plowing ahead with these $500 million IP wankfests. 

In a sense that's really what happened to Hollywood in general. Audiences don't go to the movies anymore, they just go to A movie, once in a while. And that's not healthy for the medium. 

B+ CS , meh legs . Budget was 85-100m. So it barely broke even or lost money and has an IMDb pretty close to SS 2016. This is the farthest thing from excellent Wom or even  good WOM .

We all have subjective opinions and anecdotes but let's separate that from facts.

BOP was a dissapointment  for WB financially critically and audience wise.

BoP opened just over a month before lockdowns started. To say that it flopped because of the pandemic is completely disingenuous. It had the worst OW for the DCEU at the time, and was enough of a disappointment that WB decided to change the title a mere week after it came out. Neither it nor TSS were particularly successful in escaping the stench of the 2016 film. 

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

Birds of Prey was released days before the pandemic went worldwide. I like the film and was the last one ore I saw Eternals more than one year later, there was also a lot of paranoia going on back then with people scared of getting COVID, until it spread like wildfire.

Big drop off due to covid was on march 13th . 1 month after  it's release date . 

Previous weekend was 2.1m( .(march 6th)

Its run was pretty much done at this point . 

Movies that released late Feb and early March were most affected by covid .

Edited by Liiviig 1998