TMP

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem | August 2, 2023 | CG reboot produced by Seth Rogen produced | Fourth most profitable movie of 2023

You know what, 80s toys are still a huge moneymakers with collectors, and Turtles are still big with kids, so I can buy it. Like at my Target, we're still selling He-Man and GI Joe toys, even though not a single kid today knows what those properties are.

• Like 2

Just now, John Marston said:

lol this movie didn’t even double its budget. I don’t buy that number for a second. 

If you look at the chart, merch sales were included. $135 mil in merch sales for this property seems completely reasonable.

• Like 7

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

If you look at the chart, merch sales were included. $135 mil in merch sales for this property seems completely reasonable.

Is there any proof movie merch of the feature that didn't even gross 200 mln worldwide somehow did 135 mln? Because all the TMNT merch shouldn't be included, only movie merch, otherwise that number is a complete lie. And how exactly free views on their own streaming service bringed 100 mln? Those numbers are Paramount's wet fantasy, not reality.

Edited by TomThomas
  • Like 4

15 minutes ago, John Marston said:

lol this movie didn’t even double its budget. I don’t buy that number for a second. 

It’s almost like the Ninja Turtles brand is pretty big in merchandise but the Ninja Turtles toys being popular for kids doesn’t make sense? Who would want fun ninja toys and masks and costumes?

• Like 1

You can’t include merch sales in these breakdowns only for Turtles and Paw Patrol, no matter how much Deadline wants you to believe these movies in particular were the only ones in the tournament that had merch sales considered for greenlight. I don’t buy for a second that merch wasn’t highly considered for the greenlight of a Barbie movie.

Merchandise sales are year-round. They get bumps from films but they’re not solely attributed to them. If you’re going to count it, it should be included for all of the films in these charts. Do you not find it suspicious that the only studio that has merch included is Paramount, a company in the middle of sale negotiations who wouldn’t have made it into this tournament otherwise?

• Like 7

Someone at Paramount called in a favor to Deadline. It takes balls to say a Barbie and Mario movie wasnt greenlight with merch sales in mind. 

• Like 1

Well we all assumed top 4 were Mario, Barbie, Spider Verse. and either John Wick 4 or Sound of Freedom.  Guess Sound and Wick are 11-12.

1 hour ago, Human said:

Well we all assumed top 4 were Mario, Barbie, Spider Verse. and either John Wick 4 or Sound of Freedom.  Guess Sound and Wick are 11-12.

I don't want to derail the thread too much, but I've read on Reddit that maybe Deadline conviniently included Merchindise for Paw Patrol and TMNT so they can have enough movies to not list Sound of Freedom

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, Grebacio said:

I don't want to derail the thread too much, but I've read on Reddit that maybe Deadline conviniently included Merchindise for Paw Patrol and TMNT so they can have enough movies to not list Sound of Freedom

doest make sense because of the "small budgets, big profits" article they posted yesterday, if Sound of Freedom is not in the top 10 and or that other list, it means they're claiming its profit was less than 46 million, which makes no real sense and probably indicates they disqualified it or something like that 

do want to know what happened with Jurassic Wick 4 though 

Edited by interiorgatordecorator

Deadline Anthony decided to throw credibility out of the window after Black Adam. This just seals the deal.

I can’t wait to see how they cover Disney’s merchandise sales for Sony’s SpiderMan cartoon.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

This really makes me wonder how much something like Wish made on merchandise sales. Does Disney or the stores lose millions on unsold Wish toys cluttering stores?

Edited by Mojoguy
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

Yeah I mean I doubt something like Oppenheimer had any merch sales

Think again

Dark Horse Toys (DH-001) 1/6 Scale The Father of the Atomic Bomb Figure

If I grew up thinking about the atomic bomb, would that make Oppenheimer a nostalgic toy commercial? 

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

This really makes me wonder how much something like Wish made on merchandise sales. Does Disney or the stores lose millions on unsold Wish toys cluttering stores?

I work at Walmart and have no idea.  It was really annoying working around that feature.

They advertised it a lot at Walmart, so I think it was a deal between them.

I suspect Deadline have no qualms accounting merch sales into TMNT because Paramount themselves own the franchise after Laird sold it off to them. It's sketchy to estimate how much of those sales are attributed to Mutant Mayhem but as of August last year it was announced to have made $1b in global retail sales altogether, so $135M seems like a modest estimate of how much of that is exclusively Mutant Mayhem merch. Those sales go directly to them, and the movie successfully driving merch is the whole reason it exists and is getting its own sequel/spinoff TV show. Warner Bros. and Universal meanwhile are most likely not seeing a cut off of Barbie or Mario merch sales; as far as the latter is concerned it seems like part of that partnership was that Nintendo would own the rights to the film itself.

Of course, that still leaves Disney up in the air. You'd wager GOTG3 or Elemental would potentially see a bump from merch.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, electride said:

I suspect Deadline have no qualms accounting merch sales into TMNT because Paramount themselves own the franchise after Laird sold it off to them. It's sketchy to estimate how much of those sales are attributed to Mutant Mayhem but as of August last year it was announced to have made $1b in global retail sales altogether, so $135M seems like a modest estimate of how much of that is exclusively Mutant Mayhem merch. Those sales go directly to them, and the movie successfully driving merch is the whole reason it exists and is getting its own sequel/spinoff TV show. Warner Bros. and Universal meanwhile are most likely not seeing a cut off of Barbie or Mario merch sales; as far as the latter is concerned it seems like part of that partnership was that Nintendo would own the rights to the film itself.

Of course, that still leaves Disney up in the air. You'd wager GOTG3 or Elemental would potentially see a bump from merch.

It's freaking weird how Paramount toy sales count while Disney toy sales don't. At least be consistent.

• Like 1