baumer

Wednesday Numbers 22% drop 8.1 mill THG

But THAT much less? This appeals very much to teens too. As well as to adults who have been waiting for the second weekend.I don't think it drops 20% harder than Alice.

40% isn't a big difference when we talk about Friday jumps. The percentage changes significantly with even a small change in average age of the viewers. For example, just this March, Lorax jumped 231% while John Carter jumped only 89%. Edited by Fake

I think you guys are gonna have egg on your face this weekend... you've been singing its impending downfall all week (similar, I might mention, to how you downplayed it all the way until OD as well). We'll see what happens :)

I joined the bandwagon once the tracking was too hard to ignore. I predicted 137 mill. My prediction for it this weekend is strictly unbiased. It opened massively and it has nowhere to go but down.

20% isn't a big difference when we talk about Friday jumps. The percentage changes significantly with even a small change in average age of the viewers. For example, just this March, Lorax jumped 231% while John Carter jumped only 89%.

What kind of comparison is that? Are you seriously comparing the Lorax to John Carter? John Carter skewed really old and its fans are also not the youth who evidently abandoned it. The Lorax is playing exactly like every family and kidpic released outside of summer and winter.

I'll say this:Maybe 65% is too high. But with it losing IMAX and the fact that it opened so massively, i think it will fall a minimum of 60% and a maximum of 65%.Fair enough?

20% isn't a big difference when we talk about Friday jumps. The percentage changes significantly with even a small change in average age of the viewers. For example, just this March, Lorax jumped 231% while John Carter jumped only 89%.

I didn't mean the Friday jump.. meant overall weekend hold. -46% for Alice vs. -65% projected for THG (from Baumer).Even though they held overall basically identical on weekdays (we'll see after tomorrow). Seems like a very harsh drop to me.

What kind of comparison is that? Are you seriously comparing the Lorax to John Carter? John Carter skewed really old and its fans are also not the youth who evidently abandoned it. The Lorax is playing exactly like every family and kidpic released outside of summer and winter.

He's simply pointing out that there are a lot factors that go into Friday increases. The more you appeal to kids, the more of a bump you get. THG is somewhere in between Lorax and JC.

40% isn't a big difference when we talk about Friday jumps. The percentage changes significantly with even a small change in average age of the viewers. For example, just this March, Lorax jumped 231% while John Carter jumped only 89%.

Yes, but The Lorax is a kids' movie and John Carter is nobody's movie. :D
  • Like 1

But it's not an idictment of the film. This was going to be frontloaded right from the beginning. This opened way bigger than anyone thought it would which means EVERYONE rushed out to see it. There is still a finite amount of people who love this series. It is damn near impossible for it to sustain any kind of massive momentum like some of the loonies here predict it will.

Agreed. I think the comparison to Twilight is quite applicable, as both franchises have huge fanbases from the books, with the book fanbase for Hunger I believe being even bigger than that of Twilight.I think because this overachieved on OW, it simply cannot hold very well in terms of legs.No way is this getting close to the 2nd weekend record. I'm thinking a 60-65M weekend coming up at best, possibly lower. Edited by ACCA
  • Like 1

Agreed. I think the comparison to Twilight is quite applicable, as both franchises have huge fanbases from the books, with the book fanbase for Hunger I believe being even bigger than that of Twilight.I think because this overachieved on OW, it simply cannot hold very well in terms of legs.No way is this getting close to the 2nd weekend record. I'm thinking a 60-65M weekend coming up at best, possibly lower.

Ok, what's happening? Am I becoming more like you or you like me? Or were we just in disagreeance over Inception? Cause you are making a lot of sense today. :)

What kind of comparison is that? Are you seriously comparing the Lorax to John Carter?

John Carter skewed really old and its fans are also not the youth who evidently abandoned it. The Lorax is playing exactly like every family and kidpic released outside of summer and winter.

I am not comparing. I am merely putting the two ends out there.

Let's look at the % of audience over 25 years for 1st weekend and first Friday jumps for the March openers.

The Lorax - ~20% (32% were over 12 years) / +231%

21 Jump Street - 50% / +122%

The Hunger Games - 56% / ?

John Carter - 59% / +89%

I let the numbers do the talking for themselves.

I am not comparing. I am merely putting the two ends out there.

Let's look at the % of audience over 25 years for 1st weekend and first Friday jumps for the March openers.

The Lorax - ~20% (32% were over 12 years) / +231%

21 Jump Street - 50% / +122%

The Hunger Games - 56% / ?

John Carter - 59% / +89%

I let the numbers do the talking for themselves.

You also used your numbers when downplaying the midnights, and the Friday number, and saying "no way it increases Saturday", but I think the Saturday actual did make you concede a little. ;)

I don't see how Hunger Games is dropping 65% this weekend, hell, I think even 60% is too high given its performance so far.

It's got a very good chance to drop 60%. It's performance has been nothing out of the ordinary.

You also used your numbers when downplaying the midnights, and the Friday number, and saying "no way it increases Saturday", but I think the Saturday actual did make you concede a little. ;)

Using the sellout reports I had predicted this:Mids - 20MRest-of-Friday - 38MSaturday - 40M (5-6% jump from rest-of-Friday)Midnights were exactly what I predicted (which is where the majority of sellouts do happen on Wednesdays). Rest-of-Friday was indeed surprising. But then Saturday jump was exactly what I expected.So 2/3 correct. ;) Edited by Fake