baumer

Wednesday Numbers 22% drop 8.1 mill THG

IMO it does. It burned off so much already.

I think the hidden variable is how many people who are actively reading these books. The movie is spurring huge current book sales. Games only takes a few days to read. So the book audience is growing as WOM spreads. A perfect storm for legs.

That;s an interesting variable to this. That could change things.

Indeed, there are lot more books in circulation than sold, I think it might be a potter like situation where the sequels at first were selling in larger volumes before the first book took off around late 2002 and really whipped em. Edited by B J

I think the hidden variable is how many people who are actively reading these books. The movie is spurring huge current book sales. Games only takes a few days to read. So the book audience is growing as WOM spreads. A perfect storm for legs.

Agreed. We can't just say that it's going to have a terrible drop because the fanboys/fangirls had already rushed out to see it when the fanbase could still be expanding. There is no telling what this films potential is. We just have to wait and see. There is no recent film like this. Only two comparable films are SM1 and HP1 and those are were released in 2001/2002. Completely different era.

Omg. Some of you...For those who said the Hunger Games' increases should be softer than Alice's, and that Alice was more appealing towards kids, etc. It wasn't THAT kid-oriented. Plus, THG makes up it for it woth teens and the older crowd, if not more than makes up for it. And there really is no film to compare it to, so stop comparing. I mean, you say that, and yet you still compare. Ahh whatever. It should stay flat or small increase today.Friday 137% increaseSaturday 42& increaseSunday 35% decrease

We're really going to have to wait till the weekend to find out who's right, I can see the argument from both sides. I think it'll drop around 57-58%, which would be great. The WOM is really strong for this, I think a lot of people who weren't swept up in the first weekend will check it out because of the hype, also there's the re-watch factor as well.

Agreed. We can't just say that it's going to have a terrible drop because the fanboys/fangirls had already rushed out to see it when the fanbase could still be expanding. There is no telling what this films potential is. We just have to wait and see. There is no recent film like this. Only two comparable films are SM1 and HP1 and those are were released in 2001/2002. Completely different era.

Yeah the fanbase definitely is expanding, I'm sure all this coverage and buzz is converting a lot of new fans.

Spider-Man 3 had a huge Friday jump because:

( Audience over 25 yrs / Friday jump)

The Lorax - ~20% (32% were over 12 years) / +231%

Spider-Man 3 - 37% / +190%

Alice in Wonderland - 46% / +155%

21 Jump Street - 50% / +122%

The Hunger Games - 56% / ?

John Carter - 59% / +89%

Omg. Some of you...

For those who said the Hunger Games' increases should be softer than Alice's, and that Alice was more appealing towards kids, etc. It wasn't THAT kid-oriented. Plus, THG makes up it for it woth teens and the older crowd, if not more than makes up for it.

And there really is no film to compare it to, so stop comparing. I mean, you say that, and yet you still compare.

Ahh whatever.

It should stay flat or small increase today.

Friday 137% increase

Saturday 42& increase

Sunday 35% decrease

It was kid-oriented enough.

Spider-Man 3 had a huge Friday jump because:

( Audience over 25 yrs / Friday jump)

The Lorax - ~20% (32% were over 12 years) / +231%

Spider-Man 3 - 37% / +190%

Alice in Wonderland - 46% / +155%

21 Jump Street - 50% / +122%

The Hunger Games - 56% / ?

John Carter - 59% / +89%

Spider-Man 1 was 50% and went up 167%, Iron Man 55% and went up 179%, Thor 72% (!!) and went up 127%*. I think there's so many other variables at play that trying to find a correlation is a bit of a fool's errand.

*Thor went up a huge 66% on Saturday too. In fact, that whole Saturday was very strong.

Edited by Biggestgeekever

Omg. Some of you...For those who said the Hunger Games' increases should be softer than Alice's, and that Alice was more appealing towards kids, etc. It wasn't THAT kid-oriented. Plus, THG makes up it for it woth teens and the older crowd, if not more than makes up for it.And there really is no film to compare it to, so stop comparing. I mean, you say that, and yet you still compare.

But then we would have nothing to talk about. Trying to make educated predictions and then discovering if we are right or wrong, is what makes this fun!I must admit, I'm a little underwhelmed by the Wednesday number, but still managing to stay above 8M is great. Sometimes you just have to take a step back...8M on a March weekday? Very impressive!

Spider-Man 1 was 50% and went up 167%, Iron Man 55% and went up 179%, Thor 72% (!!) and went up 127%*. I think there's so many other variables at play that trying to find a correlation is a bit of a fool's errand.*Thor went up a huge 66% on Saturday too. In fact, that whole Saturday was very strong.

Thank you for providing films that are at least comparable to THG as opposed to Lorax and John Carter. Edited by blackspider

Spider-Man 1 was 50% and went up 167%, Iron Man 55% and went up 179%, Thor 72% (!!) and went up 127%*. I think there's so many other variables at play that trying to find a correlation is a bit of a fool's errand.*Thor went up a huge 66% on Saturday too. In fact, that whole Saturday was very strong.

Yes WOM plays a big role. That's why I would have been predicting 135-140% jump for THG normally. Since it is losing IMAX, I am expecting it to jump 120-125%.