baumer

Wednesday Numbers 22% drop 8.1 mill THG

It's got a very good chance to drop 60%. It's performance has been nothing out of the ordinary.

Exactly. The Sunday drop was quite ordinary, Monday and Tuesday drops were good but not amazing. This Wednesday drop now is very ordinary.

Adding Alice to my above comparison:

The Lorax - ~20% (32% were over 12 years) / +231%

Alice in Wonderland - 46% / +155%

21 Jump Street - 50% / +122%

The Hunger Games - 56% / ?

John Carter - 59% / +89%

On to something here, am I? :P

It's got a very good chance to drop 60%. It's performance has been nothing out of the ordinary.

Hunger Games increased significantly from its midnight-less Friday, which is far from ordinary. Its' Wednesday percentage of the weekend is more than Fast Five, which had heavier competition with Thor.I'll go on record right now and say 60% is the very maximum its dropping this weekend.

I just think some of you are expecting it to behave etraordinarily, and I'm not sure why it would.A) it is not a sequel, but it opened like oneB) it is based off an incredibly popular bookc) it is not aimed at kids so the increases will not be Alice likeD) there are only so many people who want to see it

My Wednesday projection was 7.75m. It's doing a little better than that, but it's still on track for my predicted 63m second weeked. 55m and 75m are both too extreme. This is a heavily hyped film that's performing like a sequel (75m won't happen) but WOM is great (55m won't happen).

My Wednesday projection was 7.75m. It's doing a little better than that, but it's still on track for my predicted 63m second weeked. 55m and 75m are both too extreme. This is a heavily hyped film that's performing like a sequel (75m won't happen) but WOM is great (55m won't happen).

THG was following Alice fairly close in terms of drops, until the wednesday drop. It was quite a bigger drop than Alice had its 1st wednesday. Alice did drop higher on its 1st Tuesday though. This wednesday drop for THG is also much higher than Iron Man's 1st wednesday drop, as well as higher than Iron Man 2's first wednesday drop.

Hunger Games increased significantly from its midnight-less Friday, which is far from ordinary. Its' Wednesday percentage of the weekend is more than Fast Five, which had heavier competition with Thor.I'll go on record right now and say 60% is the very maximum its dropping this weekend.

It's Sunday drop was quite ordinary, and the wednesday drop is very ordinary. In terms of drops, it's doing worse so far than both Iron Man movies. It's performaning close to Alice yes, but Alice had a much lower OW boosted by 3D and was a kids film.

I just think some of you are expecting it to behave etraordinarily, and I'm not sure why it would.A) it is not a sequel, but it opened like one B) it is based off an incredibly popular bookc) it is not aimed at kids so the increases will not be Alice likeD) there are only so many people who want to see it

Exactly. Loss of IMAX and loss of some of the male quadrant to Wrath of the Titans will affect it too. Edited by ACCA

By the way, the trend we've seen this year and last is strong Tuesdays followed by bigger Wednesday drops, so daily comparisons for films from 2010 and prior are moot.

Fair enough, we'll see what happens. Also, the trend that has been happening for years is films are becoming more frontloaded. That helps explain Hunger's strong Saturday number. This will be further proven if the weekend ends up an ordinary drop.

This wednesday drop for THG is also much higher than Iron Man's 1st wednesday drop, as well as higher than Iron Man 2's first wednesday drop.It's Sunday drop was quite ordinary, and the wednesday drop is very ordinary. In terms of drops, it's doing worse so far than both Iron Man movies. It's performaning close to Alice yes, but Alice had a much lower OW boosted by 3D and was a kids film.

But that was May.... Aren't weekdays stronger in May?

This is a good hold. It's tracking way ahead of Spider Man 3, and if it starts to perform like SM3 from now on, it will end up with 70M weekend. I don't think competition with Titans will hurt it, but the loss of IMAX surely will.