antovolk

Mufasa: The Lion King | December 20, 2024 | Barry Jenkins | Prequel to Favreau's CGI Version | RIP James Earl Jones

Next to the original, Mufasa simply looks like a second hand movie. As simple as that. I really don't understand where Disney is going. You can't deliver incredibly good looking content for a decade and then decide to make compromises and actually develop backwards.

I just watched "The Marvels" and "She Hulk" and seriously was shocked at how offputting they looked. They threw me so far out of a cinematic experience, that I just could't handle it. And that's only lookwise. 

They seriously have to reconsider the route they are going. They have to get their quality management back in shape. A movie like Mufasa, a trailer like it, would have never passed before Covid hit the cinemas. You can't get audiences back with compromise and only 2nd best sequels. 

People have seen the Endgame-Assemble Scene. People have seen the gorgous looking Jungle Book and Lion King. That's where they have to get back to, That should be the benchmark to work with, instead of wasting time and money to useless content for their streaming platform. 

Edited by Poseidon
  • Like 1

This is a pretty hard one to judge, since it's not really one of the live action remakes. it's a completely original story that serves as a prequel to the lion king, but not the REAL lion king that people care about. Instead it's a prequel to a live action action version that most people immediately forgot about but still did undeniably make a ton of money.

So this films going to have to test the question of whether or not these live action remakes are films that the GA is treating like fun forgettable experiences that give them some nostalgia, or if they are actually sticking with people as films that have quality beyond their association to something better.

So I could see this making 300M+ and being a surprise hit, or bombing at 150M or less

Putting out my estimates for this movie I can see it at 800-900 ww. I think it still has the technology spectacle to it and prime release window. If it's actually any good then it can claw to a bill. But for now sitting in that range. 300 domestic 600 int optimistically. If Sonic 3 doesn't release and gets pushed to January then I would also increase those numbers just because it'll become the defacto movie of the holidays for families. 

Very interested in what we see from D23

Edited by wattage

40 minutes ago, wattage said:

Putting out my estimates for this movie I can see it at 800-900 ww. I think it still has the technology spectacle to it and prime release window. If it's actually any good then it can claw to a bill. But for now sitting in that range. 300 domestic 600 int optimistically. If Sonic 3 doesn't release and gets pushed to January then I would also increase those numbers just because it'll become the defacto movie of the holidays for families. 

Very interested in what we see from D23

I have the film at 950m to 1B. Disney has been on a hot streak lately and The Lion King brand is huge. Whether that translates to ticket sales remains to be seen but I’m optimistic about this movie doing really well. 

1 minute ago, AnthonyJPHer said:

I’m optimistic about this movie doing really well. 

Yep same here. My bare minimum is that it's a hit for them, one of the biggest movies of the year globally. I'd be very surprised if it went under 800. 

1 hour ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

I mean you know that's not true lol

He's Indian, so from that perspective he is right. Baby's Day Out is huge in India, Lion King is fine - Aladdin was much bigger.

• Like 1

This may initially seem like a "no duh" statement, but this movie is really hampered by the fact that it's not based on a story the audience already knows. The 2019 movie was able to make bank based on the fact that everyone knows the original movie and could at least relate the bland images they were seeing the scenes they were familiar with. This just sparks nothing in me because everything I'm seeing looks bland but without anything to relate it to. Is young Scar even in the trailer? I have no idea because the character designs are so anonymous. I could basically just tell who Rafiki was, that's it. 

19 hours ago, marveldcfox said:

Baby's Day Out has more longevity than the lion king, which is a remake of a Japanese movie and has a tarnished image after the live action remake. 

BS. Almost nobody remembers Baby's Day Out nowdays.

And the 'Lion King swiped from a Japanese Movie" theory has been pretty effectively refuted.

I am skeptical about Mufasa at the box office, but not for those reasons

The cartoonish aesthetic made the animals to have way stronger facial expressions which was a big problem in the 2019 version 

The story does seems more interesting as well

I´m sure it´ll drop, but i think people overestimate hate on internet. I doubt families will avoid this, is not like they hated the other one, and it got a christmas release. 

Even Aquaman 2 did 450M with christmas supporting it. This is doing at least 800M 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

The cartoonish aesthetic made the animals to have way stronger facial expressions which was a big problem in the 2019 version 

The story does seems more interesting as well

I´m sure it´ll drop, but i think people overestimate hate on internet. I doubt families will avoid this, is not like they hated the other one, and it got a christmas release. 

Even Aquaman 2 did 450M with christmas supporting it. This is doing at least 800M 

Precisely what I’ve said on the other thread. And yeah I doubt that families will avoid this, if anything as an adult that grew up on the original animation, while I’m not likely going to watch this at the big screen the whole premise of exploring Mufasa’s and Scar’s past looks far more intriguing to me;

• Like 1