Porthos

Ahsoka Live Action Series | Disney Plus | August 23

I would also add that when I did my first initial watch of TCW years after the fact, I watched it in broadcast order and it was totally fine.  Years later I did do a chronological order watch and while I suppose it did add a certain spice, it wasn't that much of an extra treat.

In fact, I actually watched the first broadcast episode before seeing the movie as a way to see if the series as a whole might vibe with me, and I'm glad I did at the episode in question, Ambushinstantly sold me on the series.  Just so many little things done right that I knew I had to plow right on it.  

(also enjoyed the movie, FWIW — but then I'm somewhat easily pleased when it comes to SW)

Did make sure not to overdose my bingeing as there is a looooooot of content to catch up on, and that's something I would absolutely recommend.

(should also add that choosing to watch these off of DVDs at the time also factored into my broadcast order rewatch as it is admittedly much easier to do a chronological rewatch on D+ than it was for DVDs)

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I would also add that when I did my first initial watch of TCW years after the fact, I watched it in broadcast order and it was totally fine.  Years later I did do a chronological order watch and while I suppose it did add a certain spice, it wasn't that much of an extra treat.

In fact, I actually watched the first broadcast episode before seeing the movie as a way to see if the series as a whole might vibe with me, and I'm glad I did at the episode in question, Ambushinstantly sold me on the series.  Just so many little things done right that I knew I had to plow right on it.  

(also enjoyed the movie, FWIW — but then I'm somewhat easily pleased when it comes to SW)

Did make sure not to overdose my bingeing as there is a looooooot of content to catch up on, and that's something I would absolutely recommend.

(should also add that choosing to watch these off of DVDs at the time also factored into my broadcast order rewatch as it is admittedly much easier to do a chronological rewatch on D+ than it was for DVDs)

I prefer chronological just to keep the arcs together. It also adds more resonance to certain episodes, Rookies is great on its own but hits really hard if you've already seen Clone Cadets

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Menor the Destroyer said:

I prefer chronological just to keep the arcs together. It also adds more resonance to certain episodes, Rookies is great on its own but hits really hard if you've already seen Clone Cadets

This is true, but at the same time I would argue that some of the out-of-order episodes hit harder/work better because you're already familiar with the characters.  Not that I disagree that strenuously with the point, just that I think it's a bit oversold on how "necessary" it is to do.  If one wants to watch in chronological order first go around, great!  Just putting it out there as a reminder that it isn't the only way to watch the series.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Porthos said:

1 hour ago, Menor the Destroyer said:

Thank you both, I will consider how I will approach it. I’m about to watch Atomic Eve and then figure it out how I will start marathoning the series. Will also make sure to take healthy doses, since I do have bingewatching burnout  lol. Thanks so much for the thoughtful replies fam, even if I don’t get completely update until Ahsoka arrives, I will try to go in a pace that I feel comfortable to try and reach that.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Porthos said:

Thank you for bringing this up, I did the same thing as well and broadcast order worked fine to me. The original intent for TCW was it to feel like the war serials/news that you would see before a movie in the 40s and usually those were also out of order or random. The broadcast helped make it feel like that, even if it meant stuff like the first half of Season 3 jumps around a lot.

That being said, chronological order does recontextualize a lot and it's worth a watch through at least once like that.

• Like 4

I want to update on my Star Wars: Clone Wars marathon and once again thank those that helping me find my way around the series. I went chronological and I’m definitely hooked, watched up to the Clone Wars film and I love young Padawan Ahsoka already. Cannot believe how much I’ve missed Star Wars greatness just because I was stubborn to watch this all thanks to cartoon’s stigma.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

I want to update on my Star Wars: Clone Wars marathon and once again thank those that helping me find my way around the series. I went chronological and I’m definitely hooked, watched up to the Clone Wars film and I love young Padawan Ahsoka already. Cannot believe how much I’ve missed Star Wars greatness just because I was stubborn to watch this all thanks to cartoon’s stigma.

obi-wan-kenobi-thats-good.gif

4 minutes ago, Porthos said:

obi-wan-kenobi-thats-good.gif

star-wars-ahsoka-tano.gif

I need to talk about how haunting it is that Rosario Dawson truly just looks like the character. It’s almost as haunting as how McGregor literally became Sir Alec Guiness. The way that Rosario looks sometimes crossing her arms on some The Mandalorian scenes, that smirk, that look. I couldn’t appreciate that before, so while I knew that Ahsoka was popular, I didn’t realize how much work Rosario put into adapting her. Legit impressed with this. 

• Like 5

Please be good, please be good. I love Thrawn and Ahsoka and the Rebels.

Just finished up the new Thrawn trilogy books today in preparation for this, I think I'm all caught up on the lore now.

I need this to be good.

So as far as catching up in time for this series, ive watched all of Clone Wars, I’ve watched the first 3 seasons of Rebels and I’m currently reading the second Canon Thrawn book (Alliances?). I’m going to watch Rebels S4 after finishing Alliances, and I hope to read Thrawn: Treason before Ahsoka (might have to put the show off for a few days to make sure I’m caught up). Is there anything else I would need to be caught up? 

For example, I haven’t yet read Thrawn Ascendency trilogy, is that necessary for Ahsoka?

1 hour ago, DAJK said:

or example, I haven’t yet read Thrawn Ascendency trilogy, is that necessary for Ahsoka?

It would probably only be necessary if we get into Chiss politics. But I doubt that’s happening. Maybe there’ll be a mention, but it really depends on if Dave Filoni is pulling from the canon books or not about his motivations.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Inceptionzq said:

No late night/early morning launches for us in the States

THEY FINALLY LISTENED TO @Cap!!!! :ohmygod:

(she's been bitching off and on for years about Disney leaving viewers on the table by not having Prime Time launch times in the US)

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1
  • Heart 1

7 hours ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Some early Ahsoka reactions

thats-good-news-obi-wan.gif

Slightly worried about the "feels like the start of a movie and not an episodic TV show" comments, but I also know I'm somewhat in a minority when I say "TV shows should feel like TV shows and not [overdrawn] movies."  If it sticks the landing though, then fair enough.

(do think my stance is starting to gain popularity tho, but I do think it is still a minority opinion)

• Like 1