Porthos

Ahsoka Live Action Series | Disney Plus | August 23

12 minutes ago, poweranimals said:

I still haven't seen any of the animated Star Wars stuff. Am I going to be able to pick up this show without feeling lost?

Probably?  I've seen a few reactions from folks who haven't seen TCW/Rebels say they weren't lost at all. Of course, this is reaction out of a premiere/fan event so YMMV.

I think a good thumbnail/rule of thumb would be: How "lost" did you feel when Ahsoka or Bo-Katan showed up in Mando?  Setting aside the execution, did the "take back Mandalore plotline" make sense at a 30,000 foot level?

I tend to think SW is semi-uniquely suited to get away with this sort of thing as it has always had Hero of Another Story/I'll Tell You Later (About That Adventure) baked into its DNA from the very first film.

Personally I think the biggest danger is other fans fostering a sense of FOMO in folks who haven't seen everything. Again, personally, I've always thought that this sort of thing should be an appetizer/flavor enhancer for folks who are familiar with the background but the main course of the meal should still be able to stand on its own.  You shouldn't have to have seen Rebels or read the Thrawn books to be able to like this series.

Will say I took a risk and scanned reaction from SW Leaks and, as I said, saw more than a few comments from folks who haven't seen one second of SW Animation and say they were perfectly fine.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I think a good thumbnail/rule of thumb would be: How "lost" did you feel when Ahsoka or Bo-Katan showed up in Mando?  Setting aside the execution, did the "take back Mandalore plotline" make sense at a 30,000 foot level?

Fair point. All of that has made perfect sense to me.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

Since when is this a minority opinion 

I mean, it just seems to me that I keep seeing "It's just like a movie!!!" said as a positive thing when I see reactions/reviews.  Maybe just confirmation bias at play though.

57 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I mean, it just seems to me that I keep seeing "It's just like a movie!!!" said as a positive thing when I see reactions/reviews.  Maybe just confirmation bias at play though.

The most common complaint I've seen about so many shows with low episode counts or miniseries is that they feel like overlong movies instead of each episode being an actual episode 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 4815162342 said:

The most common complaint I've seen about so many shows with low episode counts or miniseries is that they feel like overlong movies instead of each episode being an actual episode 

Well, that is what I was referencing when I said "my stance is starting to gain popularity" in the post you quoted as I've seen that complaint rise as well.  But, like I said, absolutely could be confirm bias at play when I say it's a minority opinion.  Not like I have any hard data on polling to back it up or anything. :)

So, apparently Ahsoka has an opening crawl:

Got to admit, my first thought was something like "Yeah, figures" when it comes to Filoni and writing love letters to aspects of SW.  But I must admit it does make a fair amount of sense in a way to catch folks up who aren't fully up to speed on all things Ahsoka.

• Like 3

Wednesday 1pm (12.50pm actual launch likely I imagine) is going to be a weird time for me to be watching Star Wars compared to 7pm-9pm I have grown accustomed to but I guess the American audience can get that time for a change and I will hopefully be able to watch during a lunch break if I'm working from home during those days. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Potiki said:

Wednesday 1pm (12.50pm actual launch likely I imagine) is going to be a weird time for me to be watching Star Wars compared to 7pm-9pm I have grown accustomed to but I guess the American audience can get that time for a change and I will hopefully be able to watch during a lunch break if I'm working from home during those days. 

It's the folks in the UK/Europe that can feel the pain folks on the  East Coast felt feel sorry for as it'll be 2am UK BST/3am CEST!

(they can watch it over breakfast or sumthin' and just avoid spoilers before then :ph34r:)

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Porthos said:

It's the folks in the UK/Europe that can feel the pain I felt feel sorry for as it'll be 2am UK BST/3am CEST!

(they can watch it over breakfast or sumthin' and just avoid spoilers before then :ph34r:)

I don't feel sorry whatsoever! We had to deal with this for how many shows...

Edited by Menor the Destroyer
  • Like 2

Watched first episode of rebels  a while back . Didn't dig  the animation style. For some reason never followed through on watching it 

Starting it tonight to get caught up with Ashoka  .

As a big fan of filoni animated universe ,hope I love it.

Edited by Liiviig 1998
  • Like 3

On 8/19/2023 at 7:21 AM, Porthos said:

It's the folks in the UK/Europe that can feel the pain folks on the  East Coast felt feel sorry for as it'll be 2am UK BST/3am CEST!

yeah BREAKFAST will be for me ;) not sure I will be able to be up around 3AM :)

• Like 2